List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
We're gonna get bent over again aren't we?
Recon we make it work somehow .

I don't want Granger-barrass he is brander . A high pick that hasn't worked out . Not our problem

If hawks get barrass and battle then frost will be on the outer . Frost has 1 more year on his contract

Wce
out barrass + salary equal to frost 2025
In hawks first + 27 + sheldrik

Hawks
Out 1st rounder + pick 27 + frost(and 2025 salary)
In Barrass

Sydney
out sheldrik
In frost + his 2025 salary

Sydney are in premiership mode and desperate for key defenders but have very little salary .

Frost is the steak knives but goes to Sydney and we effectively pay his salary for sheldrik who is 8th in line for an inside mid role at the swans .

This time last year our key defensive stocks were looking significantly weaker. Edwards, jamieson, McGovern have all shown way more than this year than predicted. Much easier to let him go now.

Sure, it might be a logical decision, but that’s the price we pay for the choice we made.

My point is it has nothing to do with free agency system. We had the exact same opportunity north had.

Recon we make it work somehow .

I don't want Granger-barrass he is brander . A high pick that hasn't worked out . Not our problem

If hawks get barrass and battle then frost will be on the outer . Frost has 1 more year on his contract

Wce
out barrass + salary equal to frost 2025
In hawks first + 27 + sheldrik

Hawks
Out 1st rounder + pick 27 + frost(and 2025 salary)
In Barrass

Sydney
out sheldrik
In frost + his 2025 salary

Sydney are in premiership mode and desperate for key defenders but have very little salary .

Frost is the steak knives but goes to Sydney and we effectively pay his salary for sheldrik who is 8th in line for an inside mid role at the swans .
Would we consider Hawks first and Cam McKenzie for Barrass?

I know we were into him during his draft year. 20yo and seems to be slightly on the outer with there mids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a chance we get 2 x 1sts for TB from the Hawks (might be different if they were going for a last hurrah at a Premiership).

Suspect this years 1st and next years 2nd rounder.

It depends where their 1st finishes doesn't it?

A pick in the mid to late teens and a F2nd isn't very appealing.

Barrass is worth a top 5 pick. Anything less keep him. Hawks 1st and future 1st will not satisfy.

It will depend entirely on his remuneration and contract length. If Hawks offered up 2x first round picks attached to there 2024 & 25 ladder position that would go the majority of the way to securing Barrass. A swap of our 2025 3rd for there 2024 2nd round pick would be a good sweetener.

Obviously, there are more creative ways to get the deal to stick with more clubs & players involved.

Would we consider Hawks first and Cam McKenzie for Barrass?

I know we were into him during his draft year. 20yo and seems to be slightly on the outer with there mids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would love makenzie but Hawks are not going to give up any player of value or importance

They want to add to their list but not rob peter to pay Paul.

Not a chance we get 2 x 1sts for TB from the Hawks (might be different if they were going for a last hurrah at a Premiership).

Suspect this years 1st and next years 2nd rounder.

Barrass is worth a top 10 pick and if Hawthorn were 12th and holding pick 7 instead of surging into finals, nobody would be questioning they should hand over that pick for Barrass. Possibly with some steak knives

As it stands, Hawthorn likely make finals and in their current form it wouldn’t be a surprise if they won at least one final. So that’s a 6th placed finish (or better) and pick 13.

And whilst there’s no guarantees, they’d be well placed to do as well or better next year so two firsts from Hawthorn is a couple of mid teens picks.

What would be better, pick 7 or two picks in the teens. I’d argue many would take pick 7

So two R1 picks for Barrass isn’t silly, especially when you factor in he’s contracted and we expose ourselves to significant risk in the short term by trading him out

It’s incumbent upon Hawthorn to satisfy us, not the other way round

Very important to keep in mind with Barrass and his value is the more the Hawks 1st pick goes up the less value it has to us which means the second pick needs to come in.

1st and F1 is not outside of the realms.

Barrass is worth a top 10 pick and if Hawthorn were 12th and holding pick 7 instead of surging into finals, nobody would be questioning they should hand over that pick for Barrass. Possibly with some steak knives

As it stands, Hawthorn likely make finals and in their current form it wouldn’t be a surprise if they won at least one final. So that’s a 6th placed finish (or better) and pick 13.

And whilst there’s no guarantees, they’d be well placed to do as well or better next year so two firsts from Hawthorn is a couple of mid teens picks.

What would be better, pick 7 or two picks in the teens. I’d argue many would take pick 7

So two R1 picks for Barrass isn’t silly, especially when you factor in he’s contracted and we expose ourselves to significant risk in the short term by trading him out

Spot on.

Happy In Love GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

Ofcourse they are, that's how bigfooty works.

They'll package up a giant turd and think that's enough to get the deal done. Conversely, we'll suggest the deal doesn't get done unless it's this years first, Weddle and F1.
Apologies for my ignorance.

How terribly flawed is the system when spud McKay got north pick 3 yet one of the best defenders in the league in Barrass won’t get anywhere near that
The flaw is in the system but it is also the inability of our club to negotiate a strong deal.

We have all the cards here and yet we’re going to settle for two picks in the teens, and a throw away player and giving back a pick in the mid to the low twenties. This is not much better than Fremantle got for Lachie Schulz. Disregard the throw away player as being worth anything.

As mentioned above, there are nine clubs in Melbourne, a number of them would probably be interested, we find the one who offers us the best deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has that luxury now when Pearce and Draper are in.

For the last few years, he's played on KPFs in a role similar to McGovern.

As a 3rd intercepting defender.

We don't play Gov on the best biggest forward when we can help it. We want him to zone off and intercept with another big tall taking the one on one lock down defensive job.

Are we going to get a top 10 pick ???.....or just because hawthorn wants him and he is mates with Mitchell he goes there regardless where the hawks finish even if they don't get a top 10 pick .

The hawks are flying atm and the more they win ..there draft position becomes worse

I'm confused

Last edited:
3 months ago I was in the “priority pick” thread saying we completely missed a beat by jumping at shadows and re-signing TB beyond free agency.

He would have given us pick 3 in 2022, the fact we now have to settle for pick 11-13 + sweeteners is a reflection on our list management.

It has very little to do with FA. We had the exact same opportunity North did.

Roos played their hand well with Mackay, we fumbled the bag - multiple times- with TB.
Would you trust the AFl to give us pick 3 or 4 with their non transparent methods. I wouldn’t, probably end up with pick 20 or something.

Some Hawks fans thinks we're pushing him out and want him to leave therefore it means he will cost them less.
This is not the case.
Barrass has been identified as a player at the Eagles that can net them a greater draft hand so any club that wants him will need to do that. It's not a charity, we aren't sending him off to try and win another flag out of the goodness of our hearts, it's a ruthless player management decision designed to better and fasttrack our rebuild.

They've offered a long term contracted player a greater deal, it is the actual ingredients for what we call overpaying.

Stop shitting the bed over what we will get for TB.

I’m sure the club and TB’s management have talked and said if you can find a club that will pay the contract your player requires and the club is willing to give us X in draft capital then we would be happy to facilitate a deal.

Otherwise Tom stays with us as he is a contracted and required player.

It will be up to the Hawks or any other club that wants TB to find what the Eagles require. They will have the opportunity to do that during trade week. The picks clubs hold currently will change significantly between now and the final days of trade week.

Tom’s not leaving because of family or personal reasons so he has no leg to stand on. You want a new upgraded contract, fine but make sure the club you’re signing with gives us this……..

Stop shitting the bed over what we will get for TB.

I’m sure the club and TB’s management have talked and said if you can find a club that will pay the contract your player requires and the club is willing to give us X in draft capital then we would be happy to facilitate a deal.

Otherwise Tom stays with us as he is a contracted and required player.

It will be up to the Hawks or any other club that wants TB to find what the Eagles require. They will have the opportunity to do that during trade week. The picks clubs hold currently will change significantly between now and the final days of trade week.

Tom’s not leaving because of family or personal reasons so he has no leg to stand on. You want a new upgraded contract, fine but make sure the club you’re signing with gives us this……..
Yeah but I just see hawthorn draft hand getting worse with the more games they win....and regardless where they finish the deal is already done for him to go to the hawks according to all media reports...and we are going to get a worse trade

I think this is a big test for our recruiting department ...if this was Geelong and Barrass was a cat...I reckon they would get the best possible deal and be ruthless..

I just don't feel that with us...sorry I just don't. it maybe be the case and I hope Im wrong but thats just the way I feel

I like TB so what ever happens happens ... I just want our club to get the best possible deal in terms of the trade.

So who's the next-best available ruck we can either poach or draft after English?

BWill has GOT to go in 2025 - he is an absolute liability in the middle.

We should be touting Reid, Yeo, Kelly and presumably a Top 3 mid from this year's draft in the middle come Round 1 next year. We need a decent ruck to feed these beasts.

Yeah but I just see hawthorn draft hand getting worse with the more games they win....and regardless where they finish the deal is already done for him to go to the hawks according to all media reports...and we are going to get a worse trade

I think this is a big test for our recruiting department ...if this was Geelong and Barrass was a cat...I reckon they would get the best possible deal and be ruthless..

I just don't feel that with us...sorry I just don't. it maybe be the case and I hope Im wrong but thats just the way I feel

I like TB so what ever happens happens ... I just want our club to get the best possible deal in terms of the trade.
If you read my post I said they have trade week to organise there draft hand so they can meet our requirements. Just because they have pick 10 & 28 now doesn’t mean that’s all they have to offer.

They can use future picks, trade with other clubs both players and picks to upgrade existing ones.

Some of the Victorian clubs are quite fluid with player movement and Hawks are definitely one of them. They will find a way if they want TB.

A little bit of info on the Barrass situation from a source I trust, feel free to attach whatever weight you wish to the following:

Both Barrass and Eagles are happy to deal with any VIC club, preferably one with finals on the radar.

Hawks and Eagles are well down the road in discussions. Hawks have agreed a potential trade would include their 1R pick and have also (short of going 0-3 and finishing 13th) offered their F2. Eagles have asked for a player of value instead of the F2 (i.e. NOT DGB).
Further to this post the Hawks have now upped their offer to an unconditional 5 years at around band 1 money. The last year previously had triggers for the 5th year. This has been offered before the market comes for Barrass in a big way and in my view would have created enough goodwill between club and player that all that is left to do is satisfy WCE with a trade. In saying that it is not a fait accompli and the door remains ajar for other Melbourne based clubs to make offers to Barrass and WCE. If another club can put together similar financial terms and a better package of picks, WCE will expect equal value to that from Hawthorn. I’m confident we are not going to get shafted in a deal.

There’s a couple of misconceptions about Barrass. Firstly, he did not walk out on the Eagles. He asked for a salary increase to reflect his output. We easily have the cap space to accommodate this for the remainder of his contract but allowed Barrass to explore his options, which he did. Previous administrations may have taken a different approach but as one of the very few players with high currency in a rebuild I think this is the right move for club and player.

Secondly the Hawks are well aware of Barrass’s injury last year and are still comfortable enough to offer a soon to be 29 year old a five year unconditional contract. All the hyperbole on him being “one fall from retirement” can probably stop now. The Hawks are going to get a fantastic player who’s a perfect fit for their list and we are going to be well compensated. As I posted on Friday, their 1R is the centrepiece of the trade. Given that is now almost certainly going to be outside the top 10, their F1 is also very much in play probably with our F2 going back although I still think the deal ends up being Hawks R1 and Pies R2 this year.

So who's the next-best available ruck we can either poach or draft after English?

BWill has GOT to go in 2025 - he is an absolute liability in the middle.

We should be touting Reid, Yeo, Kelly and presumably a Top 3 mid from this year's draft in the middle come Round 1 next year. We need a decent ruck to feed these beasts.
100% we need a #1 ruck by why get rid of bailey when he's good depth it's Flynn and Barnett who are the list cloggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back