List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's he going to be backing up to though if he stays? I think he could probably back himself in to retain his #1 spot over Flynn. We're talking about a guy who hasn't missed a game in 2 years vs someone who's 3 years older than him and played half as many AFL games.

If we trade him out then fine, can't see us getting anything close coming back the other way. Pretty rare for a 3rd rounder to make it and he's a 70 game player not yet 25. Whats going to come back, a 2nd rounder for us to speculate with in the draft who's odds on to be a bust? If that. He signed a fresh deal earlier in the year, looks pretty happy, new coach.. dunno I think he could be convinced to give up his ambitions of being a forward and try his hand at football immortality. Maybe West Coast build one of the great midfields of all time around Harley Reid and Bailey goes along for the ride. Does anyone think Dean Cox would have been 6x All Australian playing for Fremantle or some shitbox Melbourne club?
Yeah he's a 70 gamer who has rarely if ever beaten his opponent . I actually don't mind the guy and his effort and he's just kept the seat warm while we have no better options

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon it'll be Hawks 1st, F1 and one of DGB/Serong for Barrass and our F2

Our list management can say we got 2 1sts and a promising young replacement. They can say they gave up a mid teens pick, a minor pick swap and a guy they were delisting anyway
That's silly no extra player we dont want DGB will be delisted
Let DBG go to wafl and try resurrect his career

The fact that an undersized and inexperienced make shift ruck in Jack Williams at times looks like a better option isn’t great omen for big Baz. Baz just has no footy IQ and why I don’t believe he’s got more improvement left
Give him 5-10kgs of mass and a full preseason as a ruck instead of practising how to be a forward and he should be better.

Hes the same height as Xerri but looked way smaller the other day, fix that up and he can better contest hitouts.

Im not saying he can be a gun or anything but I think he can be better

I think Jack Williams actually looks bigger than Bailey, probably why he can better contest hitouts at times vs some ruckmen

Significants number of Norther Academy picks in the top 30 next year. That said, I always take them out and just look at the pool available to the picks we might have.

We do not yet know the rules of the draft next year other than you can match bids anywhere, there will only be a 10% discount, points will stop at pick 54 and earlier picks will be more valuable.

Charlie Banfield at Claremont is a FS that we is looking good and he is a class ball user on the wing or running HBF. With another 12 months development, that may change.

Wesley Walley at Subiaco (Eagles NGA) is very crafty forward with bags of tricks.

Kobe Evans is another Eagles NGA and he has a great set of wheels on him

Top end prospects
  • Fred Rodriguez is a South Freo product and as been constantly amassing 20 to 30 disposals each week and looks a top end prospect.
  • Sam Curtin is a Claremont product and unlike his older brother, likes playing as a KPD
-Sam Swadling is a Falcon product and is a super smooth mid mover but at 65 kg and 177 cm, he has lots of growing ahead of him before he can play WAFL
Sam Swadling is a gun is 180cm now the boy is silk

ROYAL EAGLE and Monocle - knowing you two see a fair bit of colts so looking for your input for NGA and FS prospects for next year

• Charlie Banfield (Claremont 188 cm and 77 kg) I see as an outside mid/wing or half back who has good pace and good kicking skills. His endurance is pretty good for a 17 year old
  • Wes Walley (Subiaco 181 cm and 73 kg) I see as a small forward who might also be able to play the high half forward if he can build a tank
  • Koby Evans (Perth 187 cm and 82 kg) I see as a medium forward but I have not seen much of Perth colts this year. Is he our Cripps replacement?

Do you have any insights and thoughts on these prospects?

I am not seeing any of them jumping up to the first round but 12 months is a long time in development. All looking to have shown enough AFL traits to be draftable, and I have 2 of them as R2 projections.

I am thinking because of these prospects next year, we should stick to a range of midfielders and a KPD this year as we also get Champion as a crafty forward in 2024.

Charlie reminds me a bit of Blake Acres but cleaner and a good kick under pressure

Wes Walley has played as a mid as a junior before going to colts is warwick/greenwood boy
I love him rises to occasion see plays other don't, his kicking into the forward 50 is elite, as a forward you
just want to be on the end of his kicks

Koby is our project, pace and athleticism can get separation like few others but rushes his kicks

Ginbey and Hough are listed at 191cm.

Going through the Coleman table:
Hogan - 196cm
Curnow - 194cm
King - 202cm
Waterman - 192cm
McKay - 200cm
Cameron - 196cm
Larkey - 198cm (useless sack of crap but tall)

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to build around The Boy and Hough, philosophically, but at the end of the day you need proper KPD size at your disposal too to make sure you don’t get burned.

Plug in Harry Edwards in the medium term and try to uncover another true KPD sized player for when Gov finished up.
We still have a CJ sitting there learning, if we stick with him in the short term that could be a option as well.

Give him 5-10kgs of mass and a full preseason as a ruck instead of practising how to be a forward and he should be better.

Hes the same height as Xerri but looked way smaller the other day, fix that up and he can better contest hitouts.

Im not saying he can be a gun or anything but I think he can be better

I think Jack Williams actually looks bigger than Bailey, probably why he can better contest hitouts at times vs some ruckmen
Jack Williams has a much bigger football IQ.

Last edited:
Jack Williams has a much BigFooty IQ.

So he's basically:

You Are Dumb Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

The fact that an undersized and inexperienced make shift ruck in Jack Williams at times looks like a better option isn’t great omen for big Baz. Baz just has no footy IQ and why I don’t believe he’s got more improvement left

He's not undersized for a start, he's about the same hight at most of the ruckman in the league. Jack Williams has had a great season and has for small stints looked good in the ruck, but we don't exactly have multiple seasons of him playing as #1 ruck to go on. Bailey is taking near 90% of ruck contests still. And to say Bailey has no more improvement in him is just being a hater imo.

Since he was the last player we faced and the likely AA nom this year, let's compare Bailey to Xeri. They are the same hight, Xerri is a year older so I'll put their stats up comparing Xeri in 2020 to Williams 2021, Xeri 2021 to Williams 2022 etc. It's pretty obvious this is a breakout year for Xeri and if you track their careers year to year from 21-24 Williams is looks the better player. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that a ruckman can play his best football once he's past 25 and there is absolutely no evidence Bailey isn't going to be a better player at 25-30 years than he has been at 20-24.

2020 X v 2021 W
Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.47.19 pm.jpeg Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.47.36 pm.jpeg

2021 X v 2022 W

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.41.31 pm.jpeg Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.41.08 pm.jpeg

2022 X v 2023 W
Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.37.45 pm.jpeg Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.38.18 pm.jpeg

2023 X v 2024 W

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.38.49 pm.jpeg Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 9.39.39 pm.jpeg

There was one a time where people understood that ruckman take some time. Objectively speaking, Bailey Williams in his 24th year on earth has served an AFL apprenticeship that is arguably superior to what Tristan Xeri had put up at the same age, and if not superior then certainly extremely comparable. I'd say we give Bailey just a tad more time before trading him out for peanuts.

Also worth pointing out that since Schofield took over his stats say he's gone up a level so whatever the reason for that its probably worth exploring further too.

Edit: Just a note on Hitouts, if you look at the averages Williams is down this year compared to last year for Hitouts. His totals for free's for and against were also a fair bit bigger for last year as well. Essentially what has happened here is not that he's gotten worse at winning taps, its that he's actually better at a centre bounce than a throw in and Eagles had something ridiculous like 2600 points kicked against last year vs about 2000 so far this year. ie, he attended maybe 100 more centre bounces in 2023.

Edit: Also, unlike Williams in his first 4 years of football Xeri never had more than 20 possessions. His career high of 30 on Saturday was a career first, beating a 25 from a couple weeks ago. 19 of those possessions were handballs and clearly North play a much higher possession game than us [~25% more disposals] given their dozen or so first round picks running through the middle and Xeri becomes part of that link up play.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Williams has a much bigger football IQ.

This. JW shows the gulf in difference between the two.

Bailey tries. Problem is lack of footy IQ. Whether its positioning in the ruck, knowing when to ruck defensively instead of attacking, or options to dispose, he often makes poor choices. At 25 is this something that's going to improve?

Re barass trade:

Think I read somewhere that gold coast have a few academy boys next year. Should we ask hawks for their f1 and f2 and on trade that to GC to get into pick 7 this year? I'm worried hawks first this year will blow out and we will miss that second high-end tier (Lalor, Lindsay, travaglia, Berry, etc)

Pick 3- one of fos, draper or jagga
Pick 7- one of lalor, travaglia, berry, Lindsay

Or

Pick 11 (moves to 14)- bo Allen, Oliver, moreas

Re barass trade:

Think I read somewhere that gold coast have a few academy boys next year. Should we ask hawks for their f1 and f2 and on trade that to GC to get into pick 7 this year? I'm worried hawks first this year will blow out and we will miss that second high-end tier (Lalor, Lindsay, travaglia, Berry, etc)

Or

Not a bad option.

Tradies update.

Eagles hate continued, just masked as Roos hate. (It didn’t work) probably for how much they both copped it on SM after the Eagles beat the Roos.

Mitch Cleary mentioned the person we can’t name on here from Brissy. Offered 4 years by us last year. He had a front row seat to watch Levi do his business last week. Even with the List Management team change at the Eagles and into Jack Graham still a watch and see how this one plays out.

Clearly also said he’s not saying the TB trade will get done due to what happened last year (4 years and a trigger) . Sam said he hearing it’s done.

Both said originally said Hawks 1st only then said he’s contract so a sweetner.

Re barass trade:

Or

That pick might be already heading to Richmond for Rioli but time will tell and GC two very winnable games so that pick likely to move to 9 by the end of the season.

Trade might work for Freo or Pies first. If Freo don’t go down the Bolton route and want picks for Warner next year.

Last edited:
Re barass trade:

Or

Gold Coast will get better offers for their pick 7 than Hawthorn’s F1 (11-14 range) and F2 (29-32 range)

Last year Gold Coast traded 4,46,51 & F3 for 10,17 and the bulldogs F2, then ontraded 10 (which had become 11) for 14,27,35

That said, you’re thinking of getting a top 10 pick rather than a mid teens pick and something else makes sense. So tell Hawthorn we want a pick in the 6-9 range and get them to do the legwork necessary

If TB can't get his trade done will he crack the sads

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given how well he's performed this year on supposed unders, it seems unlikely.

More unlikely still is that we can't make a deal work for all parties. There's enough interest in him and whilst he might have a preference to land at the Hawks, if relocating to be with his siblings while pumping up his job security and pay is the primary motivator, there's other clubs in the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back