List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough, and I get why some hold him in high regard. I just can't have him even top 5 currently, based on his form this year and his VFL game didn't do anything for me.
I had him probably 3rd coming into year, quite liked him last year but had Draper, Jagga ahead of him based on last year. Ashcroft level with him, as I didn't feel he was that damaging.
Smillie started like a house on fire and overtook him and then Murphy Reid and Lombard had A+ Champs and overtook him.
I'm hoping he can have two big Coates league games and wildcard round game and really show he's still top 3.
That's a fair take. My view from the VFL game was different, although FOS had only 12 touches none were wasted with 2 goals and a goal assist playing at half forward in a game where the ball was camped at the other end for majority of the game. With the evenness of the top section this season I wouldn't be suprised to see others have him even lower then you do.

Is Garcia contracted?
Officially out of contract although I have heard he re-signed and was apparently an announcement to the playing group a week ago.

I just don't understand this. We don't have to trade him, so if we do, it's for what we value him at......no?

By we I mean us fans, this thread. Us cool people.

What if Baker was included in the trade for Barrass? Make it a 3 way with Richmond.

Barrass + F2 for Hawks 1st(up to pick 15), Baker and 28

Ward or something might be on the move due to lack of opportunity and hes probably worth similar to Baker at a late 1st/early 2nd. Dont think we get Ward if he wants to move, probably wants to stay in Melbourne

Last edited:
Barrass saying no to the trade stops us from doing that.
On the other hand we can say no to a trade Barrass wants if it’s unacceptable to us so negotiations have to happen or if that breaks down he remains a WC player or steps out of football like Cam McCarthy did.

Little tidbits but it's fairly early still to get any real info. Last year was really full on with news because of Harley and us having pick 1 and all the trade speculation. I expect it will be a much quieter time this year but I'll prod for info when something gets my interest and share what I can.

Love a good prod.

With Carlton so banged up and a real likelihood on missing the 8, I am thinking they finish 9th and miss the finals.

If so, I am thinking they may be OK sliding back a couple of places as I believe they really need a young KPD and one of the 195 cm KPF. If Hawks finish 7th or better, it is pick 12 at best which makes me nervous. At 12 or worse, it will be touch and go if the players I want are still there while I feel pretty confident at 10. Assuming we get Hawks R1 and Pies R2 for Tom, would we do 12 and 23 for 10 and 30.

The Campo twins will give them good midfield depth later in the draft and where their R1 pick could be is where the tail of the mids are and 12 would be at the start of the talls. Blues need a young CHB and/or could do well with a KPF.

I expect them to be holding 10, 30 and 3 x R4 picks.
Change that to 12, 23 and their 3 x R4 picks
I expect their first tall choice would still be there at 12 and they get the best of the KPD options at 23 earlier than at 30.

Assuming it is Hawks R1 and the Pies R2 they have for Tom. We then go to the draft with 3, 10, 27, 30 and 59

Thoughts on Nathan O'Driscoll from Freo?

Sort of burst onto the scene and then disappeared.
He looked like he had pace and a booming left foot.
Would love him as a low cost wingman, has had a few health issues keeping him off the park but all resolved now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settle.

Think he’s made it pretty clear his attitude to the club was, largely, it’s a job and they’re my employer. And by those standards, he did a terrific job. Decade+ of service, just shy of 200 games, in a range of roles.

As for the Grand Final itself - he was in the Norm Smith box seat at half time of that game.

Not everyone needs to love the media work, and he’s a pretty straight shooter so sometimes I’m not a fan of his takes, but that’s life. If every player we drafted gave us what Schoey gave us, we’d be the strongest team in footy bar none.
I don't have any issue with strong opinions or if schoey wants to whack eagles for how bad we've been over the last few years (we have). He is straying into kane cornes territory but that's the game these days I guess.

I do have a bit of an issue with the fact he is obviously being a mouth piece for barrass and running PR for him through his platform. He's trying to ensure that barrass comes out of this smelling like roses and the narrative being west coast have dogged him. It's coming off as a dummy spit and manipulative.

When you have a dog in the fight like he has I think he should just say his piece and then largely leave discussion for those who aren't invested in it like he seems to be, instead of banging on about it. He said today west coast won't get a 1st rounder for TB which is just straight up trolling and trying to antagonise now.

I gotta feeling theres more trades brewing that we're currently unaware of.
We now seriously have a war chest which the Vic's don't comprehend. Barrass, Gaff salary off books, Gov, Cripps, Darling likely reduced, recently informed English $900k+ we had aside etc.
Clarke's connections to Tiges and others with Pyke keen to start plucking feathers for his new hat.
Hopefully we can pry some up and coming mids with a deal they can't refuse and cash their teams can't match.?
Somethings cooking this year...

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are you valuing him at?

Well it's silly to attempt to be super definite, but:

the starting point must be that Hawthorn's R1 is a given. If they were finishing mid table and that was a pick around the 8-10 mark, it would go much of the way, and I'd be hoping to stack on maybe something like their future 2R but with our future 3R going back.

At this rate they're in prelim+ form, and as that R1 climbs I feel it jumps into a different bracket. Recent WCE draft history tells you that as you creep into the mid-late first round range the assurance of landing a genuine quality player drastically drops.

So I think if it's going to be a late first rounder I'd want two of those, not a 1R and 2R. Having said that, it's not about what we get specifically for Barrass but about what we turn all our bargaining chips into collectively and end up with at the close of the trade period.

edit - to add, I know it's not realistic or practical to think we should dig our heels in with the intention of strong arming a club into over-paying. At the same time, we're in a win-win situation; he's genuine value to us still, and I'd have thought a very strong and stabilising kind of personality to have in the early years of a rebuild. So the club shouldn't let in any feelings of obligation to get something done the second it feels like accepting a sub-par outcome.

Last edited:
If we do get Hawks R1, would it be worth looking at Taj Hotton or would he be too big of a risk of an ACL?
Loved his work at the start of the year but don’t think we’re in a position to be risking a high pick on a bloke coming off an ACL. If he slipped to 23/28 then might be worth the risk but I’d still rather slide further and gain a F2 and let another team take the risk. A couple have mentioned go home factor but I’m yet to see it in the media or from Hotton himself.

Well it's silly to attempt to be super definite, but:

the starting point must be that Hawthorn's R1 is a given. If they were finishing mid table and that was a pick around the 8-10 mark, it would go much of the way, and I'd be hoping to stack on maybe something like their future 2R but with our future 3R going back.

At this rate they're in prelim+ form, and as that R1 climbs I feel it jumps into a different bracket. Recent WCE draft history tells you that as you creep into the mid-late first round range the assurance of landing a genuine quality player drastically drops.

So I think if it's going to be a late first rounder I'd want two of those, not a 1R and 2R. Having said that, it's not about what we get specifically for Barrass but about what we turn all our bargaining chips into collectively and end up with at the close of the trade period.

edit - to add, I know it's not realistic or practical to think we should dig our heels in with the intention of strong arming a club into over-paying. At the same time, we're in a win-win situation; he's genuine value to us still, and I'd have thought a very strong and stabilising kind of personality to have in the early years of a rebuild. So the club shouldn't let in any feelings of obligation to get something done the second it feels like accepting a sub-par outcome.
I could accept Hawthorn’s R1 plus Liam Baker for Barrass.

We are hardly making out like bandits but at least we get something reasonable in return.

Baker is currently valued at a late R1 (overvalued imo), so two late firsts for Barrass. Probably the minimum that should be accepted.

Thoughts on Nathan O'Driscoll from Freo?

Sort of burst onto the scene and then disappeared.
He looked like he had pace and a booming left foot.
Think he has a degenerative injury that will slowly chip away at his career. Quite sad after a promising start.

Looks like Malakai was training with the team today. Have any avid training attendees noted whether this has been common throughout the year?
Yea been training with us all the time
Have had more NGA's training with us than before, so maybe there has been a change in focus
A lot of next years NGA been training as well with us

With Carlton so banged up and a real likelihood on missing the 8, I am thinking they finish 9th and miss the finals.

If so, I am thinking they may be OK sliding back a couple of places as I believe they really need a young KPD and one of the 195 cm KPF. If Hawks finish 7th or better, it is pick 12 at best which makes me nervous. At 12 or worse, it will be touch and go if the players I want are still there while I feel pretty confident at 10. Assuming we get Hawks R1 and Pies R2 for Tom, would we do 12 and 23 for 10 and 30.

The Campo twins will give them good midfield depth later in the draft and where their R1 pick could be is where the tail of the mids are and 12 would be at the start of the talls. Blues need a young CHB and/or could do well with a KPF.

I expect them to be holding 10, 30 and 3 x R4 picks.
Change that to 12, 23 and their 3 x R4 picks
I expect their first tall choice would still be there at 12 and they get the best of the KPD options at 23 earlier than at 30.

Assuming it is Hawks R1 and the Pies R2 they have for Tom. We then go to the draft with 3, 10, 27, 30 and 59
Yes, would absolutely do this to maximise chance at one of travaglia or Lindsay rather than scratching my head at 12. If it’s Lindsay at 10 then im looking at Oliver with that pick 27 and one of the CHB cohort at 30 of which there are plenty main risk is missing out on a sliding moraes, im indifferent to hynes and a few other players in that range.

With that said I do think it’s likely we’ll lose one of the seconds to a player trade as much as I’d prefer it to be a future pick in a deeper, less compromised draft.

I haven't watched the dees play at all this year, can't stand them, so wasn't sure who was rated more on this board.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Judd Mcvee would be close to the AA squad had a terrific year
So composed with footy in hand and great one on one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back