List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If we do get Hawks R1, would it be worth looking at Taj Hotton or would he be too big of a risk of an ACL?

Definitely worth looking at, he’s a top 5-10 talent and was having an incredible start to the season before the injury.

Probably a couple others I’d have ahead of him purely because they are safer picks though.

I have seen him twice live this year at colts and watched his champs games and I just don't see him as lumbering in fact I was surprised how well he moves for a big guy .

He gets separation on the leed and is great below his knees for a 2m unit .

He is great at collecting the ball in tight , knows where to run to link up , great over head and a fierce competitor.

Guess we will see his combine results soon anyway

Eastern is wrong, moves very well has great kicking skills and is a beast
He actually is explosive at times in his movement not sure why he said that think he is getting confused

Loved his work at the start of the year but don’t think we’re in a position to be risking a high pick on a bloke coming off an ACL. If he slipped to 23/28 then might be worth the risk but I’d still rather slide further and gain a F2 and let another team take the risk. A couple have mentioned go home factor but I’m yet to see it in the media or from Hotton himself.
I enjoy your work mate but can't agree with this one - He's worth anything from 10 onwards for mine.
HUGE upside.

I enjoy your work mate but can't agree with this one - He's worth anything from 10 onwards for mine.
HUGE upside.
Perfectly reasonable position to take. I rated him top 10 before he did his ACL and if you look back at my posts pre ACL you’ll see how highly I thought of him.

Him and Travaglia absolutely dominated the CTL at the start of the year but I just think there are others in the 10-22 range that are a better chance to work out for us. After TT and Lindsay are off the board I think it’s a great position for us to slide to allow other teams to take some KPP and pay a high cost to us and still get quality list need kids in the late 1R/early 2R.

AFL Draft 2024: Chris Cavanagh and Dan Batten reveal and rate their top 50 prospects​

It’s not quite being hailed a ‘Super Draft’, but the talent pool for this year’s AFL national draft certainly runs deep.
At the start of the season it was all about the midfielders – and the prized No.1 pick is still expected to come from a group of about six onballers at the pointy end of the order.

However, clubs have been buoyed by the other types of players who have pushed up this year.

There have been intercept defenders, strong marking key forwards, hard running wingmen, livewire small forwards, athletic mobile ruckmen and line-breaking half-backs who have emerged from all over the country.

As a result, early expectations are that more players will be drafted this year than last, with 64 prospects having been picked up in the 2023 national draft.

After consulting a number of recruiters and industry sources, here is the August edition of our Top 50 Draft Prospects for 2024.

Chris Cavanagh and Dan Batten's Top 50 prospects

1. Jagga Smith

1. Jagga Smith

2. Levi Ashcroft

2. Levi Ashcroft

3. Finn O'Sullivan

3. Finn O'Sullivan

4. Josh Smillie

4. Josh Smillie

5. Sid Draper

5. Sid Draper

6. Sam Lalor

6. Sam Lalor

7. Luke Trainor

7. Luke Trainor

8. Murphy Reid

8. Murphy Reid

9. Harry Armstrong

9. Harry Armstrong

10. Harvey Langford

10. Harvey Langford

11. Leo Lombard

11. Leo Lombard

12. Bo Allan

12. Bo Allan

13. Isaac Kako

13. Isaac Kako

14. Tobie Travaglia

14. Tobie Travaglia

15 Taj Hotton

15 Taj Hotton

16. Matt Whitlock

16. Matt Whitlock

17. Xavier Lindsay

17. Xavier Lindsay

18. Christian Moraes

18. Christian Moraes

19. Joe Berry

19. Joe Berry

20. Jack Whitlock

20. Jack Whitlock

21. Jobe Shanahan

21. Jobe Shanahan

22. Alex Dodson

22. Alex Dodson

23. Sam Marshall

23. Sam Marshall

24. Cooper Hynes

24. Cooper Hynes

25. Tom Gross

25. Tom Gross

26. Jonty Faull

26. Jonty Faull

27. Logan Smith

27. Logan Smith

28. Harrison Oliver

28. Harrison Oliver

29. Noah Mraz

29. Noah Mraz

30. Alixzander Tauru

30. Alixzander Tauru

31. Jesse Dattoli

32. Tom Sims

33. Harry O'Farrell

34. Ben Camporeale

35. Angus Clarke

36. Adrian Cole

37. Archer Day-Wicks

38. Charlie Nicholls

39. Xavier Ivisic

40. Lachie Jaques

41. Josh Dolan

42. Jasper Alger

43. Joel Cochran

44. Clancy Dennis

45. Lucas Camporeale

46. James Barrat

47. Ollie Warburton

48. Jaxon Artemis

49. Malakai Champion

Definitely worth looking at, he’s a top 5-10 talent and was having an incredible start to the season before the injury.

Probably a couple others I’d have ahead of him purely because they are safer picks though.

I don't feel we are in the position to risk a pick on Hotton.

Not at this point.

Not in this draft.

OK bourbon is in play ;) :cool:with this all in 2024 draft heist.

Barrass lands pick 11 plus something ?

We trade 3 and 23 to Freo for 7 and 12 for the Bolton deal.

We trade our F1st to GC for pick 6 and GC F2nd. Maybe grab a 3rd in 2024.

Go to the draft with picks 6, 7, 11 and 12.

6 Lalor
7. Trainor
11. Bo Allan / Lindsy
12. Travaglia
?
39. Champion

Why aren’t we getting statements like this into the media? Some sort of 4D chess?

We don't play out draft and trade news in the media like a bottom feeding pleb club.

Perhaps if Port had made a GF recently and Houston was a premiership player, they would tread a little more delicately instead of treating players like a pure commodity.

I have no doubt that if a sufficient deal cannot be garnered for TB we would be over the moon to kick him a bit more coin and keep him on our list. However, it is good business to allow the offers to come and see just what we might be able to extract for him, should he wish to finish his career elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass will land at Hawks and win an AA. He was more than stiff in 2022. I look forward to how our key forwards will go on him. Think he’ll have have Allen and Waterman in the air but reckon both those lads will work him over with their endurance and work rate and forward smarts

How can Port demand two first rounders for Houston and we what for Barrass?

Is Houston a better player than Barrass? I wouldn’t think so.

Why isn’t there a bottom two firsts price tag on Barrass?
Barrass is far more valuable than Houston, it’s absurd to think otherwise. If two 1Rs is the precedent then geez we should be asking for a small fortune.

We don't play out draft and trade news in the media like a bottom feeding pleb club.

Perhaps if Port had made a GF recently and Houston was a premiership player, they would tread a little more delicately instead of treating players like a pure commodity.

I have no doubt that if a sufficient deal cannot be garnered for TB we would be over the moon to kick him a bit more coin and keep him on our list. However, it is good business to allow the offers to come and see just what we might be able to extract for him, should he wish to finish his career elsewhere.

We don’t, but we also have a tendency to capitulate at the trade table and for what? We don’t have to be total *s like Essendon or Geelong but you watch Richmond absolutely extort GCS for Rioli and bend Freo over for Bolton. They’ll try the same with Baker (hopefully with Freo).

TB is contracted for a long time, the trade is on our terms or not at all.

OK bourbon is in play

We trade our F1st to GC for pick 6 and GC F2nd. Maybe grab a 3rd in 2024.
Bit too much bourbon I think .

We would be lucky to get 6 just for our F1, let alone anything else. Dunno how many examples people need to see of future picks being devalued compared to the present.

Bit too much bourbon I think .

We would be lucky to get 6 just for our F1, let alone anything else. Dunno how many examples people need to see of future picks being devalued compared to the present.

Suns will always be looking to get ahead of bids in current or future drafts.

We will still finish bottom 5 next year.

So future bottom 5 picks are worth a premium to a clubsl who gets academy access to top 10 picks every year.

I have seen him twice live this year at colts and watched his champs games and I just don't see him as lumbering in fact I was surprised how well he moves for a big guy .

He gets separation on the leed and is great below his knees for a 2m unit .

He is great at collecting the ball in tight , knows where to run to link up , great over head and a fierce competitor.

Guess we will see his combine results soon anyway

He's not slow in a straight line but that's about the extent of his athletic prowess. He can't jump and he's way too heavy at the moment.

Competitive sure but he's got no role at AFL as his game currently stands. Closest comparison I can think of a bigger Marcus Adams but he'd need to fix his field kicking and learn how to defend.

If that’s the net result then I’ll happily throw Matthew Clarke in with Barrass for free.
I didn't say just Bo Allen. Just think we'll have him around that range of Hawthorns pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back