List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke Edwards sad news about his third concussion this season. One of those out of contract.

Can see a move onto the rookie list or he is delisted and retained as a train on option. Minimum we look after him and retain him for the WAFL team, support him with our medico's and facilities for another 12 months.

Hope his health is ok long term.
Feel terrible for the guy but he is a potato and I'd rather him delisted.

Keen to see how Langford goes for Richmond VFL tomorrow. Just watched some of his highlights and he gives Tom Green vibes with his size and strength around the contest. Seeing him play against senior bodies will be interesting. Draper still seems like a good fit amongst our other mids but wouldn’t be unhappy with Langford.

Damn. Would've been good to see if he could produce some decent numbers back at that level

Does he have any more Coates League games this season?
There’s one last round next week and Oakleigh are out of finals contention. If clubs want another look at him after that it will have to be through the VFL.

Plenty of others want to see more of him but I’ve seen enough that if we keep pick 3 I’m all in on FOS. Of course I’d prefer he wasn’t injured but I don’t mind him not being able to give an explosive performance at the end of the year to remind Tigers and North what he’s capable of. Apparently also interviewed very well both ways and he’ll test well in the combine. No qualms about moving interstate, Perth would probably be a better fit for him from what I’m told.

For those in the know, does Bo Allan have much polish to his game or is he more of a brute?

Also the talk of a decent NGA crop for us next year, is there going to be much high end talent we are now going to miss out on? I heard the purples have a a better crop than us with Hart and Whan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Na. No way.

Our F1st will be a top 5 pick and valued to land someone in the top teir or close to it.

Do agree that future picks say 7/8 value will be compromised as they get later and 2nd round and later picks points likely devalued.
Just look at the available talent in the open market and then work out its relative strength

I do my list and leave off nga and FS.

What I am hearing from a number of sources is that R1 picks will be heavily discounted if you want to buy in this year

If we finish strongly this year, other clubs will be wary and not give us full value

If you think our F2 will be pushed back and discounted, HTF do you get pick 12?

Yep and the club has been working on that weakness in his running paterns. Work still to be done there.

Get him into the trenches and involved in ball movement chains and he gets an opportunity to be a creator. Hard to create playing in the dead side defensive wing.

Hopefully playing on ball we see a boost like we did when Petro was handed more time on ball........hopefully better
Have you ever seen him at a game live, not just TV?

Yep and the club has been working on that weakness in his running paterns. Work still to be done there.

Get him into the trenches and involved in ball movement chains and he gets an opportunity to be a creator. Hard to create playing in the dead side defensive wing.

Hopefully playing on ball we see a boost like we did when Petro was handed more time on ball........hopefully better
Jeez - you’ve got me salivating. I am looking forward to seeing Chesser attain the high production output of Petruccelli!! Year high for Petch is 16 disposals. Career high of 22. Is that what you expect from your mids?

You obviously didnt feel terrible enough to not be disrespectful to a kid who has put his body on the line for our club.

Poor post.
Him putting his body on the line does not correlate with his ability to be an afl player.

As I said it is a sad way to end his career but we should not be giving him any contract next year. He doesn't possess afl talent and will clog up the list next year if we retain him.

Jeez - you’ve got me salivating. I am looking forward to seeing Chesser attain the high production output of Petruccelli!! Year high for Petch is 16 disposals. Career high of 22. Is that what you expect from your mids?

No. Thats NOT what I said.

I said we shouldexpect an increase in production from Chesser if he gets moved off the dead defensive wing and on ball. You disagree?

I THEN said we would see an increase in production just like we saw when Petch moved on ball. Petch did increase his production did he not? Yes he did.

And finally I said BUT HOPEFULLY BETTER!

Which means hopefully he surpasses Petrucelle.

Pretty clear I am hoping for Chesser to end up BETTER than Peteuccelle.

Him putting his body on the line does not correlate with his ability to be an afl player.

As I said it is a sad way to end his career but we should not be giving him any contract next year. He doesn't possess afl talent and will clog up the list next year if we retain him.

And I also said we should not give him a contract next year. I said we should support him through his injury. AKA we look after our players after they leave the AFL system.

But I was not being disrespectful saying it.

Thats the difference. You dont need to be an arshole saying it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s one last round next week and Oakleigh are out of finals contention. If clubs want another look at him after that it will have to be through the VFL.

Plenty of others want to see more of him but I’ve seen enough that if we keep pick 3 I’m all in on FOS. Of course I’d prefer he wasn’t injured but I don’t mind him not being able to give an explosive performance at the end of the year to remind Tigers and North what he’s capable of. Apparently also interviewed very well both ways and he’ll test well in the combine. No qualms about moving interstate, Perth would probably be a better fit for him from what I’m told.

I was super high on Finn going into the year and thought he was easily the top prospect on pure ability. The problem is pretty much every time he has played it has lowered my ranking of him. Yes he has been injured and hasn't had continuity but he certainly hasn't shown the form even in 1 game deserving of a top 3 pick.

He hasn't shown the form deserving of a top 10 pick and if you're using anything below pick 15 you're really basing it on what he was able to produce last year plus his athletic testing.

Now where have we seen this playbook before? How many times have supporters of this club been disappointed by elite talents who had poor top years and were injured for large parts of it.

Oh but at 16/17 they were absolutely elite. Yes they were but every time you draft one of these players you take a huge risk.

Yes, Finn based upon this year certainly has some of, if not the highest upside of any player in the draft pool. But anyone selecting him is selecting on upside only and I'm not comfortable with just how many older quality players we have to turn over plus improve the overall list as well using a top 3 pick on that in a very even draft.

Just look at the available talent in the open market and then work out its relative strength

I do my list and leave off nga and FS.

What I am hearing from a number of sources is that R1 picks will be heavily discounted if you want to buy in this year

If we finish strongly this year, other clubs will be wary and not give us full value

If you think our F2 will be pushed back and discounted, HTF do you get pick 12?

Lots of peices moving around this trade and draft period.

TB looks like landing pick 11 or 12.

It will take pick swaps or another decent player to move to get another pick around that spot sure.

Still not convinced we are keeping pick 3.

No. Thats NOT what I said.

I said we shouldexpect an increase in production from Chesser if he gets moved off the dead defensive wing and on ball. You disagree?

I THEN said we would see an increase in production just like we saw when Petch moved on ball. Petch did increase his production did he not? Yes he did.

And finally I said BUT HOPEFULLY BETTER!

Which means hopefully he surpasses Petrucelle.

Pretty clear I am hoping for Chesser to end up BETTER than Peteuccelle.

It's pretty simple really, next year is his 4th on the list. If you want to see if he can be an inside mid play him as the centreman at WAFL level for the first half of the season. Sure if he dominates call him up for a game and if he then can't emulate that form back to the WAFL.

There's a lot of players that can dominate through the centre at WAFL level who can't get their hands on it at AFL level.

If he can't spend an entire preseason training as an inside mid and then produce in the first half of the WAFL season then he's never going to be an inside mid and you then start looking at roles where he can be useful or he's heading towards the bust pile.

On exposed form and with the limitations due to injury and covid hampering his development he looks much better with the ball coming at him. So if he doesn't make it as a true mid, again WAFL, play him as a distributor at HB. He's got the courage, he's got the speed and he runs hard both ways. All great defensive aspects and he does have good skills. Can he execute is the real question because if he can't whether you used a first round pick on a player or the last pick in the rookie draft on a player if a small can't show the ability to even be highly successful in a role at WAFL level after 4 years then you have a bust.

Chesser wasn't some sort of player drafted with an under developed body from outside the elite talent pathways who you give more time to because they have some elite traits. He simply must perform next year.

I was super high on Finn going into the year and thought he was easily the top prospect on pure ability. The problem is pretty much every time he has played it has lowered my ranking of him. Yes he has been injured and hasn't had continuity but he certainly hasn't shown the form even in 1 game deserving of a top 3 pick.

He hasn't shown the form deserving of a top 10 pick and if you're using anything below pick 15 you're really basing it on what he was able to produce last year plus his athletic testing.

Now where have we seen this playbook before? How many times have supporters of this club been disappointed by elite talents who had poor top years and were injured for large parts of it.

Oh but at 16/17 they were absolutely elite. Yes they were but every time you draft one of these players you take a huge risk.

Yes, Finn based upon this year certainly has some of, if not the highest upside of any player in the draft pool. But anyone selecting him is selecting on upside only and I'm not comfortable with just how many older quality players we have to turn over plus improve the overall list as well using a top 3 pick on that in a very even draft.
And that’s the perfect counter argument. Draper has a higher floor and runs on the board, he’s the best alternative and in no way is it an unreasonable view to want to take him. If FOS is gone at our pick, Draper is my choice but I want us to back FOS in and take him. I know not everyone will share that view.

Not live. Just based on reading observations from others who have followed his progress and also club statements and from coaches and Chesser.
Like you, I really want Chesser to make it. Phil has since covered my response. I’ve watched him closely at Optus and he has a moment of hesitation before many interactions.

My best hope, we have an attacking gut running clean delivery hbf

We are in a conundrum with pick 3

Couple of points to illustrate thus.

There is like a zero percent chance will split on draft day. The result is not good enough

We are likely want to split only if Draper and FOS are off the board.

So unless we have an extensive spy network that informs us what's going on with pick 1 and 2 and if fos/draper is off the board then we are forced to pick a player with pick 3.

I don't see us pre-emptively splitting when are not 100% sure draper and Finn are off the board

So we are going in blind with these three options
1. Pre-emptively split before draft day out of fear draper or Finn are taken
2. Aggressively go after north pick 2 for our pick 3 to ensure Finn or Draper
3. Pick a player at pick 3 even if Draper and Finn are off board.

So do clubs have an extensive spy network? That would solve this conundrum

Luke Edwards sad news about his third concussion this season. One of those out of contract.

Can see a move onto the rookie list or he is delisted and retained as a train on option. Minimum we look after him and retain him for the WAFL team, support him with our medico's and facilities for another 12 months.

Hope his health is ok long term.
I think he will medically retire more then anything. Atleast that way AFL take care of him which they really should for all those with concussion issues, regardless of ability

Has anyone deciphered any useful info from the Norf board as to what they will do with their first pick?

They have already been burnt by continuously loading up on mids, but Armstrong at pick 8 and Trainor at 10 (going off Cal’s recent rankings) as the best non-mids are a huge reach from pick 2.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that they will do something dumb that somehow negatively affects our plans.

Eg. Split their pick with a team that has similar needs to us who then leapfrogs our pick and takes the guy we want.

OR with this talk of them chasing a veteran leader type (Viney/Wines etc) do they go FULL NORF and slide their pick in a trade for an established player?

There is like a zero percent chance will split on draft day. The result is not good enough
It’s likely we’ll know who Tigers and North are taking before draft day but I can see some offers coming in that could be appealing:

Suns: pick 8ish plus 14ish if they don’t take Rioli
Port: Houston pick + F1
Tigers: trade up with a combination of picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back