List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the reports are correct, all these links to Richmond players are bullshit. Clarke needs to be told to step aside with any potential dealings with Richmond players, it’s not objective.

Been very unimpressed with his performance so far other than having the nuts to hold Barrass to his existing contract. If we get bent over by Hawthorn that too will be for nothing.

I've done a list review. This took me all of two seconds.

Red - Gone (includes Barrrass for trade, Sheed for forced retirement)
Orange - Need to seriously consider cutting / trading (Ryan included if get decent offer)
Note No 1: haven't considered contract status, or anyone under 21 cause whatever.
Note No 2: haven't done the rucks, but ideally we'd blow the whole ruck division up and bring in some magical ruck that was good.

Leaves me 5 to be cut/gone in red, 9 in orange that bascially we need to cull a chunk of.

1724027488634.png

If we dont sign Graham or some other free agent this board considers to be a spud, we will need to either:
-Trade out multiple future picks for multiple players like Dev or Peatling
-Split our future picks into this year or split current picks, means we go incredibly young with close to 75% of the list being sub 23 years old, and miss out on either a top 3 pick this year or lose our F1
-Keep a couple of guys like Witho instead of delisting

Im assuming Cumming and Perryman arent coming to us

If we dont sign Graham or some other free agent this board considers to be a spud, we will need to either:
-Split our future picks into this year or split current picks, means we go incredibly young with close to 75% of the list being sub 23 years old, and miss out on either a top 3 pick this year or lose our F1

Our midfield performance yesterday should put dust to the idea that we don’t need a defensive mid like Graham.

I'm in for Graham. He's better than Trew, Culley, Petrol who i've all cut ideally and we can't be 100% kids.

I'd swap a future second/ideally not out second for Peatling. Dev i'd take for a fourth rounder, which is something Lions would probably do. I'd also consider Bailey Banfield from Freo if Cripps packs it in.

There's three/four in, four or five (if get extra early picks via trade) in the national draft depending

Our midfield performance yesterday should put dust to the idea that we don’t need a defensive mid like Graham.
We apparently had somebody on Cripps in the first half, then sent Trew to do the job later on. None of our mids are capable of being defensive.

Brisbane would have sent Berry or Dunkley to Cripps, Sydney would have sent Rowbottom, Port have Drew, etc

I do think we are sort of on the path to something like Ports midfield. 3 attacking mids, 1 extractor and 1 defensive guy.
Trew is an extractor, Reid/Yeo/Kelly/Hewett are all attacking mids.

We dont have balance in there.

We apparently had somebody on Cripps in the first half, then sent Trew to do the job later on. None of our mids are capable of being defensive.

Brisbane would have sent Berry or Dunkley to Cripps, Sydney would have sent Rowbottom, Port have Drew, etc

I do think we are sort of on the path to something like Ports midfield. 3 attacking mids, 1 extractor and 1 defensive guy.
Trew is an extractor, Reid/Yeo/Kelly/Hewett are all attacking mids.

We dont have balance in there.

I think that person early on was Yeo, and then they moved away from it.

The thing you’re not mentioning about Port is Willem Drew attend more centre bounces than any other mid at port and he plays the defensive sweeper role, and plays it pretty well.

To put it in 2006 West Coast terms, we desperately need to find our Rowan Jones. Even more so now that Ginbey has seemingly found his rock down back and looks very good there.

Yeo, Kelly, Reid are not it, and I’d argue neither is Hewett. And it’s definitely not Warner.

Graham would be a good interim fit. Did Draper could be one that fits the bill from 2024 draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think that person early on was Yeo, and then they moved away from it.

The thing you’re not mentioning about Port is Willem Drew attend more centre bounces than any other mid at port and he plays the defensive sweeper role, and plays it pretty well.

To put it in 2006 West Coast terms, we desperately need to find our Rowan Jones. Even more so now that Ginbey has seemingly found his rock down back and looks very good there.

Yeo, Kelly, Reid are not it, and I’d argue neither is Hewett. And it’s definitely not Warner.

Graham would be a good interim fit. Did Draper could be one that fits the bill from 2024 draft.

Yes thats what I meant, I want someone to do that defensive role. They should be our #1 CBA mid.

I was hoping Duggan could be it, maybe he still can but theres other options out there. Graham maybe, we could try Cole too?
Yeo really isnt suited to it imo, and we need him winning clearances. Just move Kelly out and bring somebody else in

Yes thats what I meant, I want someone to do that defensive role. They should be our #1 CBA mid.

I was hoping Duggan could be it, maybe he still can but theres other options out there. Graham maybe, we could try Cole too?
Yeo really isnt suited to it imo, and we need him winning clearances. Just move Kelly out and bring somebody else in

Hoskin seems to think Duggan could do it.

Duggan in the midfield makes my eyes bleed. Get Graham, he’s free, not on big coin, and can actually be a defensive mid.

I can't see us delisting Burgiel.

Yes he hasn't done a lot but he was pick 29 2 drafts ago.

He's has a bad run with injuries but seemed to be looking ok until the first injury this year.

I reckon we'll keep him on.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he was going to be kept he would have a contract already?

At best its a rookie list situation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id do pick downgrades as opposed to trading picks out for a guy like Dev/Garcia/Carrol.

Devs worth isl literally say pick 59 for Dev and pick 68 type worth. No way he is fetching more then that insanely low anount. Carrol in that same value.

Peatling probably costs a future 3rd but its a small thing to lose. Just do it

We should definitely be asking for some priority picks, that's a no brainer.
The best thing we can do this offseason is get rid of a large amount of the deadwood.

If we hit the draft hard and recruit correctly we can go into next season knowing we'll more than likely be bottom 4 again but with a young team that is ready to fight each week.

My favourite Trew stat is that he's had 27 touches (20 effective) in the last three games, despite averaging mid/high 60% TOG. Probably not AFL level unfortunately.
People can quote whatever stats they like, the eyeball test tells me he doesn't get near it enough and when he does, he's not very effective with it. People say he has clean hands but I see a lot of dinky handpasses to people right next to him that doesn't open the game up in any way and often leaves the receiver in trouble of his own. Unfortunately, he's an easy delist for mine, along with LEdwards, Jones, Rotham and Witherden. Getting to 10 wouldn't be a problem.

You should probably check out how many turnovers yeo Reid and Kelly have is a lot think 1/5 in a lot. All are the same / worse.

Do you bother to check this stuff before posting?
There’s no need to continue this conversation mate. If you can’t see the difference between Trew missing 15m kicks from an uncontested mark and Harley turning over a crazy aggressive corridor kick, there’s nothing to say. Not all turnovers are created equal.

The skills on show yesterday were deplorable across the team, Harley, TK etc included. Zane’s only had 65 touches under Schofield, there’s clips of all of them on this forum, they worry me immensely and I’ve provided several that you’ve simply ignored.

When Yeo bombs long with a power and punch that Trew could only dream of, he turns some over at a similar rate. But the skills on show are night and day and the ball is turned over a mile away. Trew averages 10.5m gained per possession (which includes any distance gained running with the footy). He doesn’t actually unlock the game with his disposal. He’s a link in the chain who does very little aggressive with the ball, but still turns it over at the rate of the guys who do.

To me, Trew’s a serious work rate guy who doesn’t have AFL caliber skills. If I’m the only one who thinks that, so be it, but the responses in this thread make me think perhaps I’m not. Not spending another second discussing Zane Trew, maybe I’ll watch the clips of his five disposals and completely ineffective tag later and see if I’m wowed.

I'm in for Graham. He's better than Trew, Culley, Petrol who i've all cut ideally and we can't be 100% kids.

I'd swap a future second/ideally not out second for Peatling. Dev i'd take for a fourth rounder, which is something Lions would probably do. I'd also consider Bailey Banfield from Freo if Cripps packs it in.

There's three/four in, four or five (if get extra early picks via trade) in the national draft depending

What does Peatling bring to the team??

The giant issue with Trew that Hoskin is ignoring is he is meant to be a handball first style of midfielder but at AFL level he is too small of frame to win a ball and get the handball out. Its apparent in his low confidence to do so also. Like he knows he cant break a tackle at this level.

He is the player you want to get 9 kicks, 15 handballs a game type of guy but at AFL level he cant do it. A good WAFL player but not a AFL one

Tackling, better age range, more speed and agility then Graham and overall better ball movement

Its a non contest. Multiple teams want Peatling, Only 2 teams want Graham. Big reason

Peatling as a NSW guy and someone we can throw big coin at to win over seems a good fit

Champion will slide largely because of positional ambiguity. He played most of his juniors as a general midfielder and that's a big red flag.

Clubs have a pretty poor track record with small forwards. 2017 draft is a text book example where the top end smalls ended up demonstrably worse than those that went afterwards.

Pick 6 - Jaidyn Stephenson
Pick 17 - Jack Higgins
Pick 26 - Liam Ryan
Pick 27 - Brent Daniels
Pick 38 - Jack Petruccelle
Pick 67 - Dylan Moore
Pick 73 - Sam Switkowski
And Gryan Miers at 57

Tackling, better age range, more speed and agility then Graham and overall better ball movement

Its a non contest. Multiple teams want Peatling, Only 2 teams want Graham. Big reason

Peatling as a NSW guy and someone we can throw big coin at to win over seems a good fit

I haven’t seen a lot of him , so I watched for him in the Freo game on Sat but didn’t look like he contributed anything for GWS..

His stats on the season are pointless because of all his sub appearances. 9 games where not subbed in/out.

Averages in those 9 games - 19.5 touches, 6.3 tackles, 5.4 clearances per game. And that's including the admitted stinker against the Dockers on the weekend. He's about to turn 24, and played 42 career games.

None of our young mids other than Harley get anywhere near these averages. There's a lot of upside.

1724031932060.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back