List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t seen a lot of him , so I watched for him in the Freo game on Sat but didn’t look like he contributed anything for GWS..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He was horrible in that 1 game for some odd reason. Feel he was trying to lockdown on Serong and failed because Reidys ruck work was very good in regards to hitouts to advantage

People can quote whatever stats they like, the eyeball test tells me he doesn't get near it enough and when he does, he's not very effective with it. People say he has clean hands but I see a lot of dinky handpasses to people right next to him that doesn't open the game up in any way and often leaves the receiver in trouble of his own. Unfortunately, he's an easy delist for mine, along with LEdwards, Jones, Rotham and Witherden. Getting to 10 wouldn't be a problem.
Agreed. That was my point. Averaging 9 touches a game over the last three is just not good enough. He can't find the ball.

We have to get active in trades and get this list up to some sort of AFL standard without being premiership quality in the short term.

Lay everyone on the trade table except the following

Allen
Waterman
Yeo
McGovern
Reid
Hewitt
Long
Ginbey
Hough
Dewar
Bazzo
H Edwards
J Williams

Can't for the life of me thinks of anyone else.

The problem is the rest of our list nobody else would want except for Ryan and Barrass.

There’s a couple others I’d probably prefer but I definitely don’t hate the Berry suggestion. We have a fair few small forwards but none project to be high volume score involvement / goal kickers.

I think Berry will be.
The thing with Berry is he isn’t just a small fwd in that he just sits in the fwd line, he will work up and down the ground. Has a really high work rate and good speed. His delivery and decision making is as good as anyone’s in the draft.

He’s potentially one that could do a Sheezel and play off half back too using those good kicking and decision making skills. Could be an upgraded Harrison Oliver….

Thanks everyone for bookmarking that part of my quote, look forward to it coming back to bite lol.

I know we have holes to fill all over the ground and there are others that will be worth a look at around that pick 12 range too.

Unfortunately I don’t think Tobie will be one of them I think he goes before then.

We have to get active in trades and get this list up to some sort of AFL standard without being premiership quality in the short term.

Lay everyone on the trade table except the following

Allen
Waterman
Yeo
McGovern
Reid
Hewitt
Long
Ginbey
Hough
Dewar
Bazzo
H Edwards
J Williams

Can't for the life of me thinks of anyone else.

The problem is the rest of our list nobody else would want except for Ryan and Barrass.
Watching the game Sunday I thought, keep Gov and Harley. All others are on the table at the right price. Sadly many out there would be on the $1 table.

I'm in for Graham. He's better than Trew, Culley, Petrol who i've all cut ideally and we can't be 100% kids.

I'd swap a future second/ideally not out second for Peatling. Dev i'd take for a fourth rounder, which is something Lions would probably do. I'd also consider Bailey Banfield from Freo if Cripps packs it in.

There's three/four in, four or five (if get extra early picks via trade) in the national draft depending
I'm not touching bailey Banfield with anything. He was a disaster for them on the weekend. I'd go as far as saying he lost the game for them in the last QTR.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm in for Graham. He's better than Trew, Culley, Petrol who i've all cut ideally and we can't be 100% kids.

I'd swap a future second/ideally not out second for Peatling. Dev i'd take for a fourth rounder, which is something Lions would probably do. I'd also consider Bailey Banfield from Freo if Cripps packs it in.

There's three/four in, four or five (if get extra early picks via trade) in the national draft depending
300+ players are better then the 3 you mentioned. We should aim for someone much better instead of just better in general

If that means losing a future 3rd rounder or downgrading some picks then so be it im afraid

We should have plenty of salary cap space coming up with the predicted retirements, would like to see us pursue some salary dump trades as a way of accumulating more draft picks.
Again, players in the AFL can't be traded against their will. We should be open for such dumps, but we need to convince the unwanted players to move to perth and play for us. Not sure who they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bailey banfield?!?!?!?!

300+ players are better then the 3 you mentioned. We should aim for someone much better instead of just better in general

If that means losing a future 3rd rounder or downgrading some picks then so be it im afraid
They have to be a realistic option to come to us. We need AFL level players if we cut 10+ from our list.

I'm not touching bailey Banfield with anything. He was a disaster for them on the weekend. I'd go as far as saying he lost the game for them in the last QTR.

Banfield didn't cover himself with glory on the weekend, but would be equal third in our season goal kicking, equal second in goal assists. If he's delisted and free as a result, we could do worse as a stopgap. Especially if looking at trading Ryan / Cripps retiring

Banfield didn't cover himself with glory on the weekend, but would be equal third in our season goal kicking, equal second in goal assists. If he's delisted and free as a result, we could do worse as a stopgap. Especially if looking at trading Ryan / Cripps retiring

Would he really have those stats if he played for us?

They have to be a realistic option to come to us. We need AFL level players if we cut 10+ from our list.

Loser mentality makes us act out that everything is unrealistic. Aim high and settle for less. Offerimg 4 years to Graham before end of season just reeks of settling for less without going harder elsewhere for players

BAILEY BANFIELD

GauVk4xlSjKVm5ji.jpg

Hoskin seems to think Duggan could do it.

Duggan in the midfield makes my eyes bleed. Get Graham, he’s free, not on big coin, and can actually be a defensive mid.

I dont think its Duggans natural game, I know hes played mostly in defence that role doesnt suit him imo.

Graham will be a fine get

I dont think its Duggans natural game, I know hes played mostly in defence that role doesnt suit him imo.

Graham will be a fine get

I feel like we've tried to shoehorn a few players into that role and it hasn't worked - Ginbey, Duggan, even Sheed for a few games

Id do pick downgrades as opposed to trading picks out for a guy like Dev/Garcia/Carrol.

Devs worth isl literally say pick 59 for Dev and pick 68 type worth. No way he is fetching more then that insanely low anount. Carrol in that same value.

Peatling probably costs a future 3rd but its a small thing to lose. Just do it
Its unlikely we get Peatling imo. Dev we can get for next to nothing and I dont really want Carrol, id prefer Graham

PP will be back on after the 100 point drubbing against the cats.

2 2025 end of 1st picks to use now.

One to gold coast for Davies
One to gws for peatling
F4 for Dev
Get Graham as well.

Draft
Pick 3 (mid), 12(mid), 23 (mid), pies 2nd (best available defender or tall) 58 champion

That's 7 mids in.

Another preseason for hall, Chesser.

That will make a difference.

I haven’t seen a lot of him , so I watched for him in the Freo game on Sat but didn’t look like he contributed anything for GWS..

He got pushed out a bit with Coniglio back. Hes been very good when hes been able to be one of the main 3 guys in the middle. 20.75 touches and 8.5 tackles over the 4 games before this last game

There’s no need to continue this conversation mate. If you can’t see the difference between Trew missing 15m kicks from an uncontested mark and Harley turning over a crazy aggressive corridor kick, there’s nothing to say. Not all turnovers are created equal.

The skills on show yesterday were deplorable across the team, Harley, TK etc included. Zane’s only had 65 touches under Schofield, there’s clips of all of them on this forum, they worry me immensely and I’ve provided several that you’ve simply ignored.

When Yeo bombs long with a power and punch that Trew could only dream of, he turns some over at a similar rate. But the skills on show are night and day and the ball is turned over a mile away. Trew averages 10.5m gained per possession (which includes any distance gained running with the footy). He doesn’t actually unlock the game with his disposal. He’s a link in the chain who does very little aggressive with the ball, but still turns it over at the rate of the guys who do.

To me, Trew’s a serious work rate guy who doesn’t have AFL caliber skills. If I’m the only one who thinks that, so be it, but the responses in this thread make me think perhaps I’m not. Not spending another second discussing Zane Trew, maybe I’ll watch the clips of his five disposals and completely ineffective tag later and see if I’m wowed.

Yeah small-ish (in AFL terms) work rate guy who can only really play inside. I think if Trew could be as effective on the wing he may be a chance, although iffy disposal would still hold him back.

Looks an easy decision to let go, along with Culley sadly. Both have a significant issue that will hold them back from being AFL quality (Trew - size/strength, Culley - pace).

Repeating the past mistake of giving guys an extra year when they have shown their limitations will set us back in the rebuild.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back