List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
So
Pick 12 (Hawks F1), Pick 23 (This year), Pick 21 (our future second)

Or

Pick 5 (this year)

Lopsided trade points wise.....

View attachment 2085409

Even if Hawks won the flag its lopsided points wise. Think we'd be able to find better value packaging up picks with Academy/Father Son clubs.
View attachment 2085411

And it 100% has to be to get the attention of the suns. Points are meaningless unless you have Academy/FS/NGA prospects.

The other thing being if they don't have pick 5 Richmond can't ask for it for Rioli.

Getting a decent Ruck must 100% be our priority, have to do everything in our power to trade in a decent Ruck option.

A competent ruck who can impact the contest, 1 maybe 2 absolute ball pigs that can actually get to contests and get their hands on the ball (no 16 touch games etc) and key defensive depth that can stay fit/replace Edwards once everyone realises he is terrible and cannot possibly have a defence built around him.

Also the biggest interest in Ryan wasn't from the suns but someone else however that no longer looks like a major option and certainly no longer their first choice for that role.
Understand this was Essendon, but could be wrong. Kosi obviously testing the waters and would presumably be high on their list

Clay Hall + giving up our F3 over keeping our pick and nabbing Freijah isn’t looking like the savviest call. I was confused that Freijah wasn’t taken higher last year, and his debut season form is certainly vindicating that he was worthy of a first round selection. How the hell did he make it to pick 45?!

Won’t pass judgement until the draft and trade period has finished but fair to say our proposed intentions to date have been underwhelming.
How do we know what Clarke had been doing in the background. From all reports, if rumours are true, the tree is getting shaken and managers are getting approached.
We can't force outcomes. We can only nudge them in the right direction and hope for the best

Would you prefer hawks future first or that future first + 23 and our future second to GC for pick 5?
I’m a bit lost.

My preference in dealing exclusively with the Hawks:
Hawks 1st, F1 for Barrass and F2

Are you pitching we get the F1 from Hawks and flip (alongside 23) to GC for their 5?

I’d rather that one yeah, the one that guarantees us a top 5 pick.

Hit the draft with 3, 5 and Hawks 1 (12ish), with the downside being no seconds this or next year.

Though I do think the Hawks F1 is going to be worth a lot more than people project, I’d be thrilled with getting it and staying put.

I’m a bit lost.

My preference in dealing exclusively with the Hawks:
Hawks 1st, F1 for Barrass and F2

Are you pitching we get the F1 from Hawks and flip (alongside 23) to GC for their 5?

I’d rather that one yeah, the one that guarantees us a top 5 pick.

Hit the draft with 3, 5 and Hawks 1 (12ish), with the downside being no seconds this or next year.

Though I do think the Hawks F1 is going to be worth a lot more than people project, I’d be thrilled with getting it and staying put.

That's exactly what im saying but with the loss of our future second as well in the trade to GC. The truth is with how compromised next years draft is even if the club was to win the spoon the first pick of the second round could well be 30 again. It could be a touch better but it could also be worse.

So yes 3,5,12 in this draft.

Knowing who really doesn't want to move and looking to balance the list a straight up draft of Draper, Lalor and Berry/Lindsay and then look for some needs / sliders with 1-2 elite attributes late for development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we know what Clarke had been doing in the background. From all reports, if rumours are true, the tree is getting shaken and managers are getting approached.
We can't force outcomes. We can only nudge them in the right direction and hope for the best
I obviously can’t comment on what we don’t know, but what we do know is:
1. We have offered Graham a 4 year contract
2. Pyke has publicly said we’d like to get Baker, which Clarke would need to tick off
3. We held off on Yeo’s deal which ultimately cost us more cash and perhaps meant a third year without triggers

Personally I think these three decisions to date are poor but as I said, won’t cast judgement until trade and draft are both over.

From what I have heard the offer for Lukosius is 27 + Adelaides future first.
That actually sounds fair. With the emergence of Mac Andrews to partner Walter and King up front, they get a huge chunk of money off the books.

As a collective, the coaches at the Suns have not developed Lukosius all that well. 5 years in and we still don't know his best position.

Knowing who really doesn't want to move and looking to balance the list a straight up draft of Draper, Lalor and Berry/Lindsay and then look for some needs / sliders with 1-2 elite attributes late for development.

christ, don't even let me fantasise about that being our draft.

Way too many unlikely steps involved for me to be hoping (a trade like that with GC happening, Draper being there at 3, WCE actually selecting Lalor, etc etc)

Do you think the Suns will want to get a pick in before the Lombard bid to pick up a player in the draft?

I do, but as stated previously I would happily bid on and take him at 3. So if you can provide a compelling trade offer plus give the 'guarantee' of no bid they really only have to worry about Adelaide.

I obviously can’t comment on what we don’t know, but what we do know is:
1. We have offered Graham a 4 year contract
2. Pyke has publicly said we’d like to get Baker, which Clarke would need to tick off
3. We held off on Yeo’s deal which ultimately cost us more cash and perhaps meant a third year without triggers

Personally I think these three decisions to date are poor but as I said, won’t cast judgement until trade and draft are both over.

Now somethings you didn’t mention.
4- Connected with mids in the right age bracket. Peatling, Carroll, Garcia Ect. Anyone on the weekend could see we need ready made big body mids ready to crack in.

5- Didn’t give into TB and now going down the get more picks path. Majority are on board would like that.

Let the man have an off season before we start to sack him.

I do, but as stated previously I would happily bid on and take him at 3. So if you can provide a compelling trade offer plus give the 'guarantee' of no bid they really only have to worry about Adelaide.
Then simple.
3 and 27 for 5 and 14

(assuming 27 is the Pies R2 we get for Tom sweetener)

Points wise, it is 3,049 v 3,039

We go to the draft with 5 (Suns R1), 12 (Hawks R1), 14 (Dogs R1), 23 and 59

Suns get whoever they want at 3, no bid on Lombard until later and still hold 3,233 points to match bids/move points to nest year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back