List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I obviously can’t comment on what we don’t know, but what we do know is:
1. We have offered Graham a 4 year contract
2. Pyke has publicly said we’d like to get Baker, which Clarke would need to tick off
3. We held off on Yeo’s deal which ultimately cost us more cash and perhaps meant a third year without triggers

Personally I think these three decisions to date are poor but as I said, won’t cast judgement until trade and draft are both over.
i mean had we gone early on yeo and then his body broke down again, what would the narrative been then ? That point was a difficult one to navigate and hardly on clarke.

interest in graham and baker hardly signals a poor job by clarke. what we give up and how we navigate the need for more draft picks this offseason will be our first legitimate chance to judge clarke.

The Phil trade probably looks like below?

Hawks may kick a fuss on the 23 to 12 upgrade?

InHawthornBarrass23
OutHawthorn12F1
InWest Coast512
OutWest CoastBarrassF223
InGC F1 HawF2 WC
OutGC 5

Now somethings you didn’t mention.
4- Connected with mids in the right age bracket. Peatling, Carroll, Garcia Ect. Anyone on the weekend could see we need ready made big body mids ready to crack in.

5- Didn’t give into TB and now going down the get more picks path. Majority are on board would like that.

Let the man have an off season before we start to sack him.
Where is the report on Garcia and Carroll? Don’t think it takes a genius to see we need some older mids than our under 22yos.

If you read above you’ll see I said I’m glad we held TB to his contract without increasing it and we should look to trade him.

I haven’t said sack him, I said I’ve been disappointed so far and I’ll hold off on judgement until we’re past draft and trade period.

i mean had we gone early on yeo and then his body broke down again, what would the narrative been then ? That point was a difficult one to navigate and hardly on clarke.

interest in graham and baker hardly signals a poor job by clarke. what we give up and how we navigate the need for more draft picks this offseason will be our first legitimate chance to judge clarke.
I think you can say that about any player closer to the end than the beginning. Two years plus one with triggers would have been fine.

Yes agree with the last bit of your last point as I’ve said above, although I don’t think Baker and Graham are the players we need and pursuing Baker in particular would be a poor decision. Graham I can at least see the rationale for.

I do, but as stated previously I would happily bid on and take him at 3. So if you can provide a compelling trade offer plus give the 'guarantee' of no bid they really only have to worry about Adelaide.
I would take Lombard at 3 and hope they don't match. He reminds me of a similar player we had in the Judd days, although not as troubled

Where is the report on Garcia and Carroll? Don’t think it takes a genius to see we need some older mids than our under 22yos.

If you read above you’ll see I said I’m glad we held TB to his contract without increasing it and we should look to trade him.

I haven’t said sack him, I said I’ve been disappointed so far and I’ll hold off on judgement until we’re past draft and trade period.
Gettable reported both.

If we can hit the draft with 3,5 and 12 like Phil suggested, that would be incredible

3 - Draper
5 - Lalor or M.Reid
12 - Travaglia or Lindsay
Match on Champion
A lot to like about being all in at the pointy end this draft year. I believe there will be good options in the 4th and 5th round as well as the rookie draft. A no to Reid as all reports coming out state he is a flight risk. Plenty of Vic country talent to not get worried

At that range, Draper at 3 sounds ideal. At 5, I like the Lalor option but would happily go Travaglia if Lalor gone. Then at 12 we go Travaglia or Lindsay or Berry or Allan or Gross. So many good options

Can we get a KPD late or do we have enough talls to improvise until next year?? Time will tell. Maybe there are grounds to see who else might be happy with a trade and generate a late 2nd or 3rd round pick which is where I sense some decent picks for a KPD.

A lot to like about being all in at the pointy end this draft year. I believe there will be good options in the 4th and 5th round as well as the rookie draft. A no to Reid as all reports coming out state he is a flight risk. Plenty of Vic country talent to not get worried

At that range, Draper at 3 sounds ideal. At 5, I like the Lalor option but would happily go Travaglia if Lalor gone. Then at 12 we go Travaglia or Lindsay or Berry or Allan or Gross. So many good options

Can we get a KPD late or do we have enough talls to improvise until next year?? Time will tell. Maybe there are grounds to see who else might be happy with a trade and generate a late 2nd or 3rd round pick which is where I sense some decent picks for a KPD.

It's why to a degree we should let the draft come to us.

No ponying up a F2nd or F3rd to jump forward one selection like we did with Hall last year.

If we miss out there are other good options.

On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

It's why to a degree we should let the draft come to us.

No ponying up a F2nd or F3rd to jump forward one selection like we did with Hall last year.

If we miss out there are other good options.
Getting 5 to go along with 3 and 12 is hardly moving up a single pick.

Have we heard of any surprise eagles players wanting out, come exit interviews? I find it intriguing about our club, in how few have wanted out in the last 4 seasons, considering how shit we are.

Watching the exodus at the tigers and the rumours I've heard with the dees (....there's more than petracca!), it's amazing we've 'kept the band together' for so long.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have we heard of any surprise eagles players wanting out, come exit interviews? I find it intriguing about our club, in how few have wanted out in the last 4 seasons, considering how shit we are.

Watching the exodus at the tigers and the rumours I've heard with the dees (....there's more than petracca!), it's amazing we've 'kept the band together' for so long.

Probably because the club's issues are almost certainly confined to on field, unlike Melbourne.

We also barely have any players in the age-bracket that are abandoning Richmond, for instance. They're either close to retirement and well-paid, or young and just starting out.

Actually having such a lopsided age group of players has probably worked to our advantage, in this instance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would actively be shopping Petruccelle and Cole for some additional second or third round picks. Both are replaceable and get us back into the middle of what's supposed to be a deep draft.

I think Mraz is my favourite of the key defenders, could see him being there still in the 28-45 region.

Getting back to our current list, I went to the game with Monocle on Sunday and we discussed how both Jamie Cripps and Jack Darling have become more clumsy. They do not handle the ball as cleanly as they did 2 years ago and quite noticeably. They are also slower to react, slower to get off the ground and more prone to being knocked off the ball.

It looks like both these guys could well expect to spend more time playing Beagles in 2025

Just on Jack, a comment was made by someone we sat with as to why Jack does not retaliate to his being thumped in the head by defender. Given Jack has his black belt in taekwondo, we should have got him schooled by Tony Lockett on how to stop players hitting him in the head.

Getting 5 to go along with 3 and 12 is hardly moving up a single pick.

I didn't say that.

And we wouldn't be trading picks to move just one spot to land 5 and 12.

What I am saying is when we have our picks set for draft day let's not get spooked, panic and throw a future pick just to move up one spot like we did last year with Hall.

There are plenty of good choices around 12.

Or if we hold later picks.

Getting back to our current list, I went to the game with Monocle on Sunday and we discussed how both Jamie Cripps and Jack Darling have become more clumsy. They do not handle the ball as cleanly as they did 2 years ago and quite noticeably. They are also slower to react, slower to get off the ground and more prone to being knocked off the ball.

It looks like both these guys could well expect to spend more time playing Beagles in 2025

Just on Jack, a comment was made by someone we sat with as to why Jack does not retaliate to his being thumped in the head by defender. Given Jack has his black belt in taekwondo, we should have got him schooled by Tony Lockett on how to stop players hitting him in the head.
As you say, both JD and Cripps are noticeably slower, more prone to fumbling, less able to bend down etc. Would be good mentors (and break glass) in the Beagles given both contracted.

As with other 60+ mediocre players either delist, or if contracted, to the Beagles - someone like Witho may be (???) best 23 but he is at his ceiling and is just taking a place that a younger player needs.

(We gotta do something to make the Beagles a development team rather than a pitiful percentage booster - pretty horrible expecting 'newbies' to learn anything the way it is going at present - it's another factor holding the Eagles back).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back