List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what? Ginbey has been much better in a worse team.
Because in the last four games he's played, when Ross Lyon stopped being Ross Lyon and actually played him in the midfield he's been awesome, despite missing weeks between games with injury/illness.

Lot of water to go under the bridge, but he looks a much more natural midfielder than Ginbey.

1724628557111.png

“I know we just got smashed, but games like that solidify in my mind that I want to be part of the change and I want to come out of the other side. I want to be playing when we’re starting to win games of footy again and becoming more of a great club like we should be.”
Next captain thanks

If you find the 2022 version of this thread I (and a fair few others) were all in on drafting the Poo. I like Ginbey but feel we made a real mistake going the wa boy.

Hope there’s no wa boys we reach for this year. Just take the best available no matter where they come from
You do realise the issues with Phillipou were his attitude (extremely self centred) and he publicly came out and stated he wanted to be front of stage in the big Melbourne matches.

Hence his passing jibe at Brad Scott on draft night for not taking him. He then got passed over eventually get taken by the small stage team St Blunders.

Talent was never an issue. FWIW Gold Coast from memory sent a team to Dunsborough for a further interview with Ginbey the week before the draft and were contemplating taking him at 3 or 4.

Now for the kicker. Liam Ryan would be an ideal addition to their forward line. Neither Frederick not the Pole are that good and Liam along Amiss and Treacy would offer so much more. No need to comment on Sturt - I think he suffers from a weak heart muscle. Freo would be well off asking us to pay his salary for 2 years in exchange for pick 17 and Knobel. Who says no?
The Liam Ryan trade makes a lot of sense. If we want to move another senior player with some currency he is the guy we should be talking about, not Waterman. Ryan seems as though he would be inclined to stay local and there are too many questions marks on his body and application for us long term. Freo could still get some decent footy out of him while they are allegedly contending.

I feel like 26 would be the more likely pick to be involved rather than 17 that may be used on other targets.

In which case could we get Erasmus involved? I wanted him in his draft year but Freo got in first. He’s in the same category as Dev, Sheldrick, Carroll, Garcia etc on the fringe and dominating at state league. He’s not getting an opportunity any time soon with Bolton and possibly Baker arriving at Freo, even if Fyfe and JOM call time.

Talent was never an issue. FWIW Gold Coast from memory sent a team to Dunsborough for a further interview with Ginbey the week before the draft and were contemplating taking him at 3 or 4.

Good on Reuben for tanking the interview and slipping to pick 9.

Jagga might just have silenced those suggesting his game doesn't have enough hurt factor. The possession count might have been a bit lower this week (only 33!) but this was one of the most damaging performances Jagga has produced this season. Rather than taking the first release option at stoppage he looked to turn the corner and use his pace to exit the front, to spot up a kick to a forward or release a teammate with hands to run into the forward 50. He kicked two goals of his own, and directly assisted three more.

Hawthorn also made a last minute trip to visit him.

Ginbey could have gone to GCS with pick 5, or Hawks with 6 (pick 6&8 on draft night).

Had we missed on Ginbey we would have take Mackenzie.

I think we need to secure the new coach first and see what ideas he has for the youf before we start potting Ginbey. In his short AFL career he's had a middling presence in the midfield, but looks like he could be pretty good down back.

If he somehow slots in 1:1 into Barrass' old spot and manages to accrue similar stats in a couple of years then thats a win.

Personally would like to see us target a best-available ruck and an established-but-fringe mid in the 24-27 yo range this offseason, as well as retain Pick 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mad Monday exercise in who’s staying and who’s going:

Retired
Gaff
LEdwards on medical grounds (would otherwise be delisted)

Traded
Barrass good as gone
Others such as Waterman, Darling, Ryan have been floated but I doubt any of them pan out

Delisted
Jones
Rotham
Burgiel
Jamieson (paid out for 2025, or maybe re-rookied)

(Witherden the only other uncontracted senior list player, suspect he’ll survive. Probably between him and Burgiel for one spot)

Senior list changes
7 out (2 retired, 1 trade, 4 delistings)
7 in (2 trade/FAs, 4 ND picks, Maric promoted)

Rookie delistings
Baker (not given a chance sadly)
Trew (being the only player dropped for Geelong probably the final nail)
Culley (not being picked the final couple of rounds probably an indication he’s not in future plans)

2025 rookie list
Rawlinson
Hutchinson
RD pick 3
Jamieson or Burgiel re-rookied
RD pick 21/SSP signing
Dewar (Cat B)
Livingstone (Cat B)

Can't say I see the issue people have with Ginbey. Is doing well enough for a kid who is playing in a horrible team.
One of the biggest things going for him (was anyway with his interviews) is how well spoken he is and genuine leadership skills. Could very well be our next captain. Is and will continue to be a good to very good afl player.

Last edited:
Can't say I see the issue people have with Ginbey. Is doing well enough for a kid who is playing in a horrible team.
One of the biggest things going for him (was anyway with his interviews) is how well spoken he is and genuine leadership skills. Could very well be our next captain. Is and will continue to be a goo to very good afl player.

Because some people said he is 2nd to ball and now this means he is scratched off. Everything he does is effectively 2nd to the ball and that is watched carefully.

Therefore to some, there is no improvement left in him, it’s all set in stone and that’s it. He is seen as not being able to therefore be a midfielder. He also shanked a kick. Therefore he can’t kick although hasn’t shanked anything for months and has a big boot on him.

Basically many are disappointed that he isn’t a Patrick Cripps.

i can’t wait to see the Nick Ginbeys going rock up into 2025 first training session.

Good luck running with him boys.
Harley, Chesser, Hall, Hewett (injuries permitting) and any other willing youngsters should follow Reuben around in the off-season and copy every session he does. They can all arrive back at pre-season looking like absolute adonises.

I hope we keep Jamieson as a developing back. Liked his aggression and closing speed there. I’d be inclined to keep Burger and get rid of Witho as ceiling far more exposed and worth a chance.

I would ignore Ruck merry go round for now and go hard at how ever many low picks we can get to go at this draft with it being so even and high quality. I hope we can muster good deals for TB and Darling to have shots at twilight premierships elsewhere and also float strongly Flyin to Freo as they have a need there as icing on their cake for a premiership push going into next season.

Hope our draft hand this year is delicious and we are aggressive with it - it’s the time

One of the biggest things going for him (was anyway with his interviews) is how well spoken he is and genuine leadership skills. Could very well be our next captain. Is and will continue to be a goo to very good afl player.

He built confidence and took the game on more off half back. Probably on the verge of being in our top 10 players now (people will have different orders, but he is thereabouts especially with the value attacking half backs have in the modern game).

And it is his 2nd season.

Doing well enough is underselling his contribution this year imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of the biggest things going for him (was anyway with his interviews) is how well spoken he is and genuine leadership skills. Could very well be our next captain. Is and will continue to be a good to very good afl player.
People not willing to stick with a 19 year old who has been damn impressive without being Rising Star caliber. He’ll be an absolute jet.

IMG_1272.gif

He built confidence and took the game on more off half back. Probably on the verge of being in our top 10 players now (people will have different orders, but he is thereabouts especially with the value attacking half backs have in the modern game).

And it is his 2nd season.

Doing well enough is underselling his contribution this year imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well I did finish by saying he is a good (goo) to very good player.

Right, with the season now complete, I’ve taken a quick look at the average player ratings for all the players we’ve used this year and how they compare to last year.

Of the 40 players used in 2024:
  • 11 improved in 2024
  • 23 regressed in 2024
  • 6 debutants

Improvers (in order by greatest %):
J.Williams, Chesser, Waterman, Bazzo, Yeo, Gov, Trew, Rotham, Ginbey, H.Edwards, Hunt.

Declined (in order by greatest %):
Barnett, Jones, Sheed, Flynn, Allen, Maric, Petch, Long, Brockman, Ryan, L.Edwards, Culley, B.Williams, Gaff, Cole, Jamieson, Cripps, Witherden, Darling, Hough, Barrass, Kelly, Duggan.

Debutants (in order by greatest average PR):
Reid, Dewar, Hutchinson, Johnston, Hall, Rawlinson.

View attachment 2090889
As a refence, Marcus Bontempelli has the higesht average (at the time of writting this) @ 19.49.
14 players in the leage currently average 16 or more.

Individual games
Of our top ten highest averages for 2024, their best games are listed below. Scarily, not only did Harley Reid have the best individual game with 26.7 (RD10 v Melb), he also had the second highest with a 26.1 (RD6 v Freo) too, which is over 10% increase on Hunt's best @ 23.7 (RD19 v StK)
Elliot Yeo - 22.4 - RD5 v Rich
Tim Kelly - 21.9 - RD8 v Ess
Jeremy McGovern - 22.7 - RD16 v Haw
Tom Barrass - 19.3 - RD2 v GWS
Harley Reid - 26.7 - RD10 v Melb
Jake Waterman - 19.9 - RD5 v Rich
Jayden Hunt - 23.7 - RD19 v StK
Reuben Ginbey - 16.1 - RD6 v Freo
Jamie Cripps - 19.8 - RD15 v Ess
Liam Duggan - 15.5 - RD7 v GCS

I've linked Harleys RD10 highlights below. Massive thanks again to Alesana for another huge year of highlights:

I will look further into how our players faired across the competition in the coming days. May even look in to some of the trade targets we are linked with.

Disclaimer: This is Champion Data's ratings, AKA Player Ratings, not mine. If you don't agree with them, that is fine, email Champion Data. If you wish to further your knowledge on Player Ratings, please refer to this video -

If we use Hawthorn as a case study/a reminder that things can turn quickly.

In 2023 they also finished 16th and have rocketed in to the finals this season.

Hawthorn's average age in 2024 @ 25.0 years old, is less than ours @ 25.4.

Of the 34 players they used this season:
  • 13 Improved (38%) - West Coast 28%
  • 18 Declined (53%) - West Coast 58%
  • 3 Debutants (9%) - West Coast 15%
Trades:
The three Hawthorn players traded in for 2024 all increased their output compared to 2023. The two eagles players traded in both declined (significantly).

Debutants:
Their three debutants averaged 7.63, whereas ours were 4.53.

Best players:
Their top 5 averaged 13.06, whereas our was 12.66, an increase of 3% per player.

Our biggest concern is quality depth:
Hawthorn had 13 players averaging 9.35 or more, we had six.
Their top 22 players averaged 9.96, ours was 8.94. That's an average increase of 11% per player.

1724640311787.png

Not breaking news, if we can add:
  • A coach.
  • A couple of handy players (not particularly A graders) via trade/free agency.
  • Another batch of good kids via draft.
  • Increased match committee integrity.
Who knows what could happen next year.

People not willing to stick with a 19 year old who has been damn impressive without being Rising Star caliber. He’ll be an absolute jet.

View attachment 2092292
That same 19 year old that is rated the 6th best 20 year old (as of 31/12/24) in the game.

Played every game this year and is only 10 games off his 50 game milestone.

Tough crowd in here for Reubs.

Interestingly, 3 of the top 6 are WA lads. CC: Matt.Clarke@WCE.com.au

EDIT apologies, I didn't think the email would become a clickable link to emails, I still don't know a lot about BF yet. I also don't believe that is Matt's email, don't go emailing now you crazy mf's.

1724644765308.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back