List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
3 plus 23 plus maybe something else?

For 6 and 7.

Lalor is floating out from the top 5. Cal has him live pick 9.

Travagalia between 9 and 13.

Either could end up the best player in this draft. That's how even it is.
If we can turn pick 3 into Lalor and Travaglia it’s really a no brainer. The only concern I have with Lalor is with him and Harley playing in the midfield together. Zero defence where the third mid would have to be Tyson Stenglein. Such a shame we didn’t have prime fit Nic Nat potentially playing with those two.

3 plus 23 plus maybe something else?

For 6 and 7.

Lalor is floating out from the top 5. Cal has him live pick 9.

Travagalia between 9 and 13.

Either could end up the best player in this draft. That's how even it is.

Lalor and Reid rotating mid / forward is a "stimulating" prospect IMO. VERY stimulating. ;) :$

And both have shown they can accumulate and hit the score board.
So it's not Draper v Lalor/Travagaila.

It's Draper + 23 + Maybe something else v Lalor/Travagaila.

I have literally no idea on if it makes sense, but my general rule is splitting top picks is fraught with danger.

Which other clubs need a ruckman?
Melbourne maybe but Soldo would have to be a forward until Gawn is gone, and Soldo is not a young player
Geelong if they dont think Conway is ready and wont be ready for a couple more years

Every other club has a ruckman, its just us. If he wants to be the number 1 ruck then it is just us I mean

I wonder if Pyle has any thoughts on Lachlan Mac drew at the swans.. 24 years of age 209cm gets named an emergency often but stuck now behind Grundy.. could get him in the cheap.. regularly getting 20 plus hit outs in the vfl

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we can turn pick 3 into Lalor and Travaglia it’s really a no brainer. The only concern I have with Lalor is with him and Harley playing in the midfield together. Zero defence where the third mid would have to be Tyson Stenglein. Such a shame we didn’t have prime fit Nic Nat potentially playing with those two.

You don't need to play them together on ball at the same time. They can rotate forward.

For defensive inside mids those can be added cheaply or we already have them. Graham. Dev Robertson. Trew. Duggan. Chesser.

Also Reid and Lalor do tackle hard in close. They aren't Dom Sheed type mids.

With our expected list changes and hopefully a whole bunch of top 40 picks this year I'd pencil us in for bottom next year anyway, but it will be one of those wooden spoon seasons where we're mostly a bunch of under 25s showing real improvement.
People said the same about us this year. Richmond are blowing up their squad, North continue to be North, we won't be bottom next year.

People said the same about us this year. Richmond are blowing up their squad, North continue to be North, we won't be bottom next year.

Maybe not but we're going to be bottom 3, with the squad changes and senior players out I see next season as our first real one for our rebuild, a real focus on youth.

The only way I'd like to get Baker is if we were offering pick 23 and paying a little extra for Jack Graham (to trigger a higher pick, probably a R2 pick, for Richmond)

I'm so so on getting Graham but I do think having him as a dedicated tagger could be good. And a few of our guys could learn something from the way he, and Baker, go about it defensively

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not but we're going to be bottom 3, with the squad changes and senior players out I see next season as our first real one for our rebuild, a real focus on youth.
Probably, but if a couple of the rumoured trades work out (Baker, Peatling, Voldemort), we could improve the middle. I would be hoping for 7-9 wins next season which, in a crowded season, could see us finish bottom three or maybe as high as 13-14.

So 2025 is the start of the rebuild?

Are we sure?

It seems like we've been trying to start a rebuild for two years already.

No I didn't say it's the start of the rebuild, I said our first real season for our rebuild. We've been doing the required drafting the last few years, we're now looking at turning over the older players. Next season is the season where it'll be very youth focused. Keep in mind Simmo said within 3 years he wanted the team to be the youngest in the competition, we'll go close to that next season.

Melb let go of 2 ruckman, would we be interested? With gawns age is their a play for fat boi Darcy heading east

Melb let go of 2 ruckman, would we be interested? With gawns age is their a play for fat boi Darcy heading east

One’s a key position player who pinch hits a bit, the other’s a Cat B experiment that hasn’t panned out.

Any idea of what Wanganeen mileras contract details are atm?
Think he's the best and most under rated half backer atm

From SEN Trade Bell:

Christian Petracca

“These are the facts as we know it. He wants to leave Melbourne. He wants to play for another club. He wants it to be a big Victorian club with all the resources that sit behind that,” Edmund said.

“Over the weekend and into yesterday he made it clear to the Demons that he wants to be traded with the five years remaining on that contract worth $1 million per season.

“Melbourne remain absolutely resolute publicly and privately that he will not be traded under any circumstances.

“I can tell you Melbourne aren’t even completely clear as to what his issues are, which is incredible.

“Depending on who Petracca talks to, it’s different. If he talks to the players, his issue is with the leadership of the club and when he talks to the leadership, his issue is with the players and the off-field stuff.

“The brand side of things has always been very important to him and then there’s even some who wonder whether his relationship with Ben Simmons on the other side of the planet had something to do with it all.

“The club is so disappointed and so bemused by it all. They’re completely perplexed. They thought it would simmer down, but it’s now abundantly clear that that’s not the case.

“Some relationships with teammates are going to need repairing if he is to remain there. There’s some real frustration there.”

Harry McKay

“I’ve touched base with the manager of Harry McKay, who emphatically shut down any chance he would be involved. He is an absolute no (on being traded) 100 per cent.”

“ABSOLUTELY NO WAY”: MANAGER OF CARLTON FORWARD MCKAY SHUTS DOWN MELBOURNE RUMOURS

Richmond's looming exodus

“It’s the best chance they’ll ever get to fast-track their rebuild in a deep and consistent draft.”

Shai Bolton, the trade request with four years to run on a contract worth more than $1 million a season. Wants to get back to WA. Fremantle has the draft picks to make it possible.

Daniel Rioli is contracted for another three, wants to play for Gold Coast, they want him and they have the first round picks.”

Liam Baker wants to get back to WA as well. West Coast fan as a kid. That’s the most likely.

“Well the most likely is Jack Graham who has four years on offer from West Coast as an unrestricted free agent.”

Ivan Soldo

“It is an absolute watch. He hasn’t even been there 12 months yet. He’s got a level of disenchantment a year into his career at Port Adelaide.”

“He’s battled a knee injury and has now lost his spot in the side. It’s one to keep an eye on. It hasn’t quite worked out for him at Port Adelaide.”

Luke Davies-Uniacke

“He’s a free agent next year. I don’t expect him to be going anywhere. I think if you’re a North supporter, you can breathe relatively easily.”

Jake Stringer

“He’s pushing hard for two years. Bombers offering one. I think he gets the two, but this is always a fascinating watch.”

Nick Haynes

Nick Haynes played on the weekend. It’ll be his last season at the Giants ahead of a move to Carlton as an unrestricted free agent. This one should happen no issue.”

Matt Owies

“He’s kicked the third most goals for Carlton and can’t get a new deal, in fact the Blues won’t even enter into negotiations with him.”

“List spots are tight, the Camporeale twins are coming in, the cap is tight, he’s being made to wait.

Caleb Marchbank, Jack Martin and David Cuningham are all out of contract and facing uncertain futures.”

Harry Perryman

“Unrestricted free agent, is finding it hard to justify staying at the Giants and is finding that tough because he loves the Giants.”

“Hawthorn are at the table here, but I’d bet on Port Adelaide if he does leave. The Giants have offered six years, but the finances aren’t what they appear.”

Isaac Cumming

“Port Adelaide have also come late to snare Isaac Cumming, but the Crows are in the box seat – could be as much as a five-year deal from the Crows.”

“At Adelaide, it’s shaping up to be an active trade period when you factor in Jack Lukosius and Alex Neal-Bullen as well.”

Jack Lukosius

“We did raise this back in April. Several rival clubs knew he was gettable and it has played out that way. My information is the Suns would facilitate a trade for him.”

“His contracted until 2026, so this is not a Jack Bowes situation. He’s on the hit-list for Adelaide.”

Adam Tomlinson

“Set to leave Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent. Wants more opportunity. Just wants to play. Is St Kilda the home as his third club?”

Josh Battle

“It would be a shock if it’s not Hawthorn. Sam Mitchell has really driven this.”

Tom Barrass

“This is a really strange one. He rejected Sydney’s interest twice due to loyalty to West Coast, logistical and family reasons, took less money to stay, but thought they’d scratch his back and look after him. The restructuring of that contract hasn’t been to the levels he wanted. Hawthorn’s offered five years.”

Bailey Smith

“You’d be absolutely staggered if it was anyone other than Geelong.”

Pick 3 and our F1 should only be traded if someone offers us a kings ransom for them

Use pick 3 on the best available mid left on the board and keep our F1 with the intention of bringing in another high end mid to join Harley and whoever we get with pick 3

It’s not complicated
Are you sure it's not a good idea to trade pick 3 and a future first for pick 1 in 2039?

Asking for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back