List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
We’ve read your posts mate, we know.
Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

A strong performance from Hamish Davis helped Claremont qualify for the finals in last game of the WAFL regular season. He predominantly played high half forward with some run on a wing, and was able to show his endurance and dash up and down the ground. He was clean in swooping on loose balls and strong overhead, slotting three goals and showing why he's one of the most highly rated prospects in the 2024 WA crop.

Davis has 4 attributes I like
1. He has a high football IQ that will transition to AFL
2. He is clean - and remember the weather on the weekend was horrid and Leederville had a fair amount of rain
3. He often hits the contest with pace meaning he is quick to get separation
4. He finds the ball and despite being more outside, he both hits the scoreboard and does not shy away from the contest

I would like an early R3 to pick him up. A trade of Petch or Rotham FA that could facilitate the pick would be perfect.

2. He is clean - and remember the weather on the weekend was horrid and Leederville had a fair amount of rain
4. He finds the ball and despite being more outside, he both hits the scoreboard and does not shy away from the contest

I would like an early R3 to pick him up. A trade of Petch or Rotham FA that could facilitate the pick would be perfect.
I feel like in most draft pools you'd have to take Davis before R3, but this one is so deep that he could still be there. Acquiring another mid to late second might be the best bet though.

Also would not surprise at all if Freo are keen, given they've been all over small forwards in this pool.

Adding Sheldrick and Dev/Peatling would be the dream midfield fix up offseason. Probably could both be done with a single 2nd round pick

Then go draft FOS or Lalor to play off HB/HF and we're on
Peatling smashes dev imo and I know dev very well and am biased towards him, if we could squeeze 2 years out of luke.parker I'd take that considering it'd cost us nothing

Midfield mix plus hewett to come on-
3- fos/draper
12 + Hawks f1 into GC 6 - Lalor/langford
23 - peatling
Darling- Parker??

Fair call on Dewar

What we need is for a bunch of our 2021 - 2023 draftees jumping up to that point. It is going to take time and patience on our draftees and we can expect some flops.

So far in 2021
14 Chesser - looks a bust in not being R1 worthy but is looking more like a role player or depth
31 Hough - AFL ready :whitecheck:
37 Bazzo - developing
57 J Williams - AFL ready bordering on depth:whitecheck:
62 Greg Clark - delisted
Rookies none
Cat B - Baker - developing very slowly
Cat B - Dewar - developing and looking positive :whitecheck:

9 Ginbey - AFL ready:whitecheck:
14 Hewett - developing with ??? on foot
23 Barnett - developing with ??? on will he make it
29 Burgiel - developing with injury concerns
58 Long - AFL ready:whitecheck:
Rookies no new, only recycled

1 H Reid - AFL ready:whitecheck:
30 A Reid - developing and looking positive:whitecheck:
38 Hall - developing
49 Johnston - developing and looking positive:whitecheck:
Rookies Rawlinson - developing
Cat B Livingstone - developing

SO over 3 years and 18 selections, I have a tick on 8 of them. Only 5 of these are AFL ready with a couple bordering
Pretty accurate reflection - it is pretty standard that 50% of ure draftees don't make it so we're about on par
Gotta consider Maric, Hutchison & Culley as well

Peatling smashes dev imo and I know dev very well and am biased towards him, if we could squeeze 2 years out of luke.parker I'd take that considering it'd cost us nothing

Midfield mix plus hewett to come on-
3- fos/draper
12 + Hawks f1 into GC 6 - Lalor/langford
23 - peatling
Darling- Parker??
We have competition for Peatling, id imagine with Dev we are right near the top if he wanted to move. Obviously go for Peatling first but even just having Dev there to play an accountable role as a mature body would be good.

Id like to think we can get Peatling for less than pick 23, perhaps get GWS 3rd rounder back and use that GWS pick + F3 for Sheldrick or something. Alternatively use 23 for Sheldrick+Swans 3rd rounder and then send 2 3rds to GWS for Peatling, whichever works

Parker would be nice but I dont see it happening, would be another Yeo/Kelly. At least with the others we can justify their spot because theyre young. Id assume Parker would only move for more guaranteed game time.

I wouldnt join that 12+Hawks F1, if it was up to me we try to trade that F1 into this year as a standalone pick end of 1st round and try to get a ruckman or KPD. Take Lindsay with 12

If the rumour about Ivan Soldo wanting out of Port has any legs, we absolutely need to explore that possibility.
Offer Port a straight swap for Barnett, they may be able to get more out of him than we have being at home. Trade Ryan and 27 for Knobel, trade Bailey Williams then we have Flynn and Soldo competing for the #1 ruck with Knobel given another couple of years to develop and go straight into #1 ruck then.

seems like Hamish davis would be worth drafting to develop. Seems good.
He should go in the second round, possibly even sneak higher if he continues on performing. He’s had a solid year and now playing league footy. Didn’t watch the game but 16 disposals and 3 goals playing WAFL league is elite. Going to watch Tigers vs Sharks on the weekend.

We have competition for Peatling, id imagine with Dev we are right near the top if he wanted to move. Obviously go for Peatling first but even just having Dev there to play an accountable role as a mature body would be good.

Id like to think we can get Peatling for less than pick 23, perhaps get GWS 3rd rounder back and use that GWS pick + F3 for Sheldrick or something. Alternatively use 23 for Sheldrick+Swans 3rd rounder and then send 2 3rds to GWS for Peatling, whichever works

Parker would be nice but I dont see it happening, would be another Yeo/Kelly. At least with the others we can justify their spot because theyre young. Id assume Parker would only move for more guaranteed game time.

I wouldnt join that 12+Hawks F1, if it was up to me we try to trade that F1 into this year as a standalone pick end of 1st round and try to get a ruckman or KPD. Take Lindsay with 12
I think(don't know) if Parker was an astute leader and wanted a coaching gig after football we could get him here with the pyke-jack link and offering game time. I think he could add a bit while fos/hewett develop and we'd send kelly to hff or wing to play outside

Midfield mix
Yeo
Reid
Peatling
Hutch
Hewett
Pick 3
Parker
Pick 12 or 6 (Lindsay/lalor)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think(don't know) if Parker was an astute leader and wanted a coaching gig after football we could get him here with the pyke-jack link and offering game time. I think he could add a bit while fos/hewett develop and we'd send kelly to hff or wing to play outside

Midfield mix
Yeo
Reid
Peatling
Hutch
Hewett
Pick 3
Parker
Pick 12 or 6 (Lindsay/lalor)
Dont think we need Parker for leadership in the middle. Id rather chase experienced an experienced backman and let the younger players have the midfield with Yeo and Kelly.

Assuming we got Peatling, aim for the midfield in 2 years to be Reid, Draper/FOS, Hewett, Peatling and Hutch or something.

All those guys would be on the list as of next year, so put them all in there with Yeo

Are there any decent wingers in this draft.Wouldnt mind a quality wingman or 2,which I think would really help.

Somebody like Windsor from Melbourne,a player who can run and carry and break the lines,preferably with pace(is that too much to ask for?).

injury prone player who has come no way close to his hype 12 years ago, yes 12 years. he will be wrong side of 30 when he suits up next year.
hard pass. exactly the type of player we need to avoid like the plague.
Wow that went quick, didn't think he was that old.
Probably a big part of why Carlton aren't jumping at re-signing him.
Knowing his age on top of the already known injury issue says there is no win with this one.

Another player with all the talent in the world who's true potential will never be seen.

I feel like in most draft pools you'd have to take Davis before R3, but this one is so deep that he could still be there. Acquiring another mid to late second might be the best bet though.

Also would not surprise at all if Freo are keen, given they've been all over small forwards in this pool.
Agree - I feel after pick 15, it stays pretty even through to 30 and compared to last year. the picks at 30 were like 2023 picks at 20. Still looking at great options well into the 40 to 50 range

Fair call on Dewar

What we need is for a bunch of our 2021 - 2023 draftees jumping up to that point. It is going to take time and patience on our draftees and we can expect some flops.

So far in 2021
14 Chesser - looks a bust in not being R1 worthy but is looking more like a role player or depth
31 Hough - AFL ready :whitecheck:
37 Bazzo - developing
57 J Williams - AFL ready bordering on depth:whitecheck:
62 Greg Clark - delisted
Rookies none
Cat B - Baker - developing very slowly
Cat B - Dewar - developing and looking positive :whitecheck:

9 Ginbey - AFL ready:whitecheck:
14 Hewett - developing with ??? on foot
23 Barnett - developing with ??? on will he make it
29 Burgiel - developing with injury concerns
58 Long - AFL ready:whitecheck:
Rookies no new, only recycled

1 H Reid - AFL ready:whitecheck:
30 A Reid - developing and looking positive:whitecheck:
38 Hall - developing
49 Johnston - developing and looking positive:whitecheck:
Rookies Rawlinson - developing
Cat B Livingstone - developing

SO over 3 years and 18 selections, I have a tick on 8 of them. Only 5 of these are AFL ready with a couple bordering

Statistically it looks/sounds bad but is why we are actually doing OK I think.

8 named, plus 2 from MSD (Maric/Hutch) is about 1/3 of the list of players we need to be a competitive finals side (the other 12-14 on the list will be young, or depth, or veterans etc).

Add in some players via FA and/or trade (Hunt currently, Jury out on Flynn and Brockman) and that list looks better.

Plus some of the 30 can/will obviously come from older players (looking only at those under 28yo next year) - Waterman, Allen, Hedwards.

So that is 14, ignoring veterans (Yeo/Kelly/Gov/Cripps). Got a way to go (and hence why looking at 2-3 trades or FA is currently the strategy in conjunction with hitting the draft) but it is starting to build.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go back to how many genuine stars/A-graders/AA calibre players (on current form) does a side need to be a premiership contender

Pies last year had 5 or 6
Brisbane have 5 or 6
Swans this year have Warner, Heeney, Gulden, Blakey, Mills and Grundy is 6

In 2018 we had Gov, NicNat, Gaff, Yeo, Kennedy, Shuey and Hurn at 7

In 2 years time we have Allen, Waterman, Reid, hopefully our pick 3, ill call 1 of the rest including Hewett to be another. Thats 5. Trade 1 in or find another from the draft and we are on.

The rest are role players and B graders, theyre not hard to find

I'm not sure Parker is the answer, but one positive he does have is that he can play as a genuine forward, as well as midfielder.

Last edited:

91im4i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back