List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
So....do Freo not have a salary cap or something? How are they expecting to add Bolton, Warner, MAYBE Pickett, I still think he stays no matter which WA club he chose, to add with the contracts of Brayshaw, Serong, Jackson, Darcy, Luke Ryan, whatever the captain's being paid and whatever's left of Fyfe and Walters money

That is crazy talk, he is a genuine star and he is also extremely consistant. Almost the template for a gun mid. If we could get him it lets Harley develop naturally.
Would be great to have him on the list but would cost a literal arm and a leg, likely won't be around when we're seriously challenging as he's 29 next year so will just artificially increase our ladder position while he's here and we'll draft worse kids in the meantime as a result.

Kozzy will be cheaper and will be around for 8+ years and can go into the midfield as well, and offers forward pressure and crumbing that none of our other smalls can and more goals than anyone except peak ryan, but the odds of seeing peak ryan again are slim.

Freo are chasing for positional need and expect at least 1 player out via trade.

They also seem to have no issue in burning potential players coming in and sending them back to their original club.

With Freo it's best to think of certains players being a redundacy if trade 1 doesn't happen, trade 2 doesn't happen etc.
I find it weird that WA players continue to nominate Freo despite the constant stream of players wanting out of there.

It could work for Freo, but listening to that Mark Stone conversation with Papalia posted (in another thread), they asked the question regarding Freo's midfield v Port's.

They failed to actually answer the question, but it was how do you rank the six of them from 1-6, the six being Young, Brayshaw and Serong v JHF, Butter and Rozee.

I actually thought to myself how I would rank them in terms of who I'd want, and to be honest, its this:

1. JHF
2. Rozee
3. Butters
4. Young
5. Serong
6. Brayshaw

Every single one is a very good player, but I'd have any of Ports before any of Freo's.

I don't think Freo would be making a bad move trading for Bolton and Pickett, but the assumption all the teams they are currently behind (and its a few) will just stay still is silliness. It certainly has the potential to work out, but I still think they are a bit overrated in the midfield (probably due more to lack of depth, its still a quality top 3) and a distinct lack of size.

We all know where the games are really won, and its in the middle. In terms of scary, there is nothing scarier than Ports midfield in the future (I'd be more scared of Rozee and JHF when resting forward than Bolton too TBH).

I wonder if we can low ball Richmond for Baker now if all of Freo's draft capital is tied to Bolton/Pickett.

Offer a second rounder and threaten the PSD?
Baker is a much better fit for your club anyway I reckon, would be a great pickup if you can swindle Richmond to take a lowball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo are chasing for positional need and expect at least 1 player out via trade.

They also seem to have no issue in burning potential players coming in and sending them back to their original club.

With Freo it's best to think of certains players being a redundacy if trade 1 doesn't happen, trade 2 doesn't happen etc.
IF Pickett and Bolton to the Violent Crumbles, then surely they would not be offering much for Baker. When we pitch to a player, I sense we have high commitment to get it done. I am hoping like hell we only offer a F2 or 23 for Baker. Maybe over paying for Graham means it is 21 and 23 instead of a late R1 and 36 if Graham only gets band 4.

Switzkowski rumours might accelerate a move out given Pickett and Bolton. It will make the decision to re-contract Walters a potential regret.

So....do Freo not have a salary cap or something? How are they expecting to add Bolton, Warner, MAYBE Pickett, I still think he stays no matter which WA club he chose, to add with the contracts of Brayshaw, Serong, Jackson, Darcy, Luke Ryan, whatever the captain's being paid and whatever's left of Fyfe and Walters money

Tabener and Brodie will be on close to 1.3 between them & I can't see either being on Freo's list next year.

Seem to be upset people over the thought of splitting pick 3 as they want a higher graded midfielder but then we have some people declaring Hewett (pick 14) is potential A grade. This draft is meant to be decent, don't see the harm in splitting.

Schoey saying Baker has nominated us and it shouldn't come as a surprise - guaranteed games and more coin given state of our list.

Anyone else seen this officially?
He would be a best 22 player at every club so would be guaranteed games where ever he wanted. Money would help.

MWT said last night he went to the 2018 GF with an Eagles scarf on and what we already knew. Full Eagles nuffie at a kid

That's how you destroy culture IMO.

Pushing out an emerging top line tall forward. Father son who refused to speak with any other clubs and wants to stay.

Has a great attitude and work ethic.

For Kosi Pickett. Who I question from a character quality point of view.

Quality tall forward v quality small forward.

Let's not compromise our current culture.

Boys club.

Safe retirement plans.

Keep re-signing duds as they may come good.

I wonder if we can low ball Richmond for Baker now if all of Freo's draft capital is tied to Bolton/Pickett.

MSD is a very BigFooty avenue, and even riskier given Richmond are above us in the pecking order.

Something will get done, hopefully we can bring it down a little though now if Freo are going hard for Bolton and Pickett. Ultimately don't think it changes much for the Baker pursuit tbh.

Agree, all he needs to do is get past checks notes Richmond.

Just offer pick 23. If Richmond say they want 2025 2nd rounder just say "Look we would like to be taller then a garden gnome but unless he learns to run with a step stool attached to his feet, that and your dream of a 2025 2nd roundr aint gonna happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back