List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is probably 3 clubs with decent picks in the first round who would look to move their pick into the future.
Essendon, Freo and Gold Coast.

The hawks probably wont get pick 6, but the bombers pick 9 and Freo pick 11 are gettable.

Either of those get Barrass done probably.

Anyone suggesting we accept all future picks for the Barrass trade, just stop.
Clarke was quite clear that we are chasing a heap of top 20/25 picks THIS year to attack THIS draft.
I doubt very much we have any interest in getting 2 x F1 and trying to on trade them to get back a Top 10 this year given most list managers have said how difficult it is buying back into this draft such is the expectation on it.
If we get a deal that nets us a solid first this year which we dont trade for Baker and a F1 we can throw at Warner next year, maybe (unlikely to get that) but just getting future currency for him is not something I imagine will even be considered.

Clubs don't want 2025 picks because it's so heavily compromised. Not because its weaker than this draft.

So...

Out: Tom Barrass

And In: Tom Barrass?

Contrary opinion, hawks may have just unlocked the TB trade.

We give them our F2 and Tommy for their 2 x F1s.

They end up with the extra R2 from the blues.
Nah yuck.

Blues and Hawks are contenders next year. Their F1s could be 20+ after academy bids etc. That alone isn’t good enough let alone also losing our F2.

I’m so BORED

Not Moving Wake Up GIF by Travis

GC trying to profit off pick 13 and openly admitting in as many words that it will "go to waste" on a Lombard match and that being a northern academy team makes them value picks differently from non-academy teams is a massive indictment on this points matching crap.
They should be using that for Lombard rather than using lower picks to match.
You cannot have different rules for different teams...
But welcome to the AFL!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen some miserable campaigners in my time, but you sir.... 👌🏼

Making ep2018 look like sunshine and rainbows :rainbow: 🌞:eggplant:

Hey leave eeyore2018 out of this.

It’s very important to consider the doomsday scenario for every single situation you encounter.

Has a team ever had this many Liams before? How many is too many? What if there are penalties involved for excess Liams.

No **** that - he has been trying to leave for 2 years because he wants a contract until he’s 34 and still talks up his ‘potentially career ending back injury’ in the media.

The guy is done at WCE - thanks for that great half a season you played in 2022 (that you never went near to emulating for the club again).

DON'T SAY THE QUIET PART LOUD!

Watch the Hawks turn two future 1sts into pick 6.

6 for Barrass with a F3rd going back or some such.

Wonder what Maher will say when the deal gets done for a reasonable outcome.
I think they will target Essendon 9. If Hawks get 6 then 6 and 33 for Barrass and 26 I’d do.

Then **** Baker off to Freo

FOS, Travaglia, best KPD, Johnson, Champion.

Randy Marsh areas.

I love how tigers fans ThinK their threat of redrafting him in the PSD is a blow to us. Him singing for one year on the tigers to become a FA is the ideal situation.

Hope that's how it plays out.

Well unless Baker nominates for the PSD with a 1 year year he won't be a free agent 12 months from now.

You pick someone in the PSD the terms can be set by the player.

I love how tigers fans ThinK their threat of redrafting him in the PSD is a blow to us. Him singing for one year on the tigers to become a FA is the ideal situation.

Hope that's how it plays out.
Better for them anyway, with the way AFL hands out picks like candy, they'll probably get a top 5 for him :(
Literally would be the ideal outcome. We retain our picks and welcome him as a FA next year. Tigers get some nonsense comp pick. Everyone is happy. Or Freo overpay for him and Bolton leaving them with no draft capital or salary cap for Warner next year. Leaves us in the box seat, happy days.

I still think Barrass will be gone come trade period. I'm just more relieved we ain't using the pick we got for Barrass to then go to Richmond for Baker. Two of the three clubs win that trade and one gets significantly worse. And you'll never guess judging from the Vic media who gets the raw end of the prawn in that deal.

I think they will target Essendon 9. If Hawks get 6 then 6 and 33 for Barrass and 26 I’d do.

Then **** Baker off to Freo

FOS, Travaglia, best KPD, Johnson, Champion.

Randy Marsh areas.

If we can somehow manoeuvre TB I to a pick that lands Travagalia I will happily meet all the bed wetters on here at Gate 3 at Optus and slap down the lot of them.

Use 3 and and 6.

Happy days.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back