List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you not realise there are other picks to find half back flankers? No one is saying that we should choose mids with all our picks. Just choose a mid with the first pick in a draft that has really strong mids in it.

Sometimes I think people just want to go against the grain. You come across like a flat earther. Are you a sovereign citizen by any chance?

Lol.

Fair indication someone is struggling with any debate. Start using derogatory statements putting your opposition down.

I'm am as far away from a flat earther you can imagine.

Do yourself a favour and stick to the debate and don't play the man.

Last edited:
We have a fair few mids to sort through and develop. We will add another one or two.

You cant just keep drafting mids and only mids until you get a gun midfield. If you did you would habe no forwards and no defenders.

And the talls at your second rounder may be rated much higher than the mids available at that pick.

So blindly drafting mids for the sake of it isnt a great strategy.

Agree you can’t just take mids but we’re far from stacked and haven’t had a large cache of early picks the last couple drafts despite our finishing positions.

Before the draft is compromised further and looking at what we have we are still deficient in the middle and need at least a couple more quality pieces to build around

Lol.

Fair indication someone is struggling with any debate. Start using derogatory statements putting your opposition down.

I'm am as far away from a flat farther you can imagine.

Do yourself a favour and stick to the debate and don't play the man.
So why do you ignore that we can get flankers with picks outside the first round? And all the major phantom drafts, why do none of them have flankers in the top10? You're being different for the sake of being different. Sort of what fearthers do. It's why I asked the question.

One is for free. Graham is 27. We lack players in this age group. Baker is 26. Hard as nails, always puts in effort. I wouldn't pay more than 26 for him, but he will be good for us. Pick up Smith/Draper/FOS, and along with Harley Reid, Baker would just be shoring stuff up and making it easier for them. We want to rebuild with talent, but if you have no older guys who put their body over the ball, you're in trouble.

Says who? The media? Some nuffies on here?

Also nuffies on here, who every year only want WA players. And want to cough up F1's for said WA player. They get all emotional, just like you.

You don't seem to be able to separate media and forum talk with actual actions.

Bro, it's you who is having a tanty.
Bolded is crao. Look at our 21-25 list profile. This is whats missing. The idea we need more guys with 5 years left in their careers is crap

Literally Matt Clarke said he will look at it...

Literally did try to get Curtin with our F1st. We admitted so in the press

Its you who isnt reading what the clubs actually said and assume its all media talk

Im having a tantrum at the club, not some random dude on a internet forum. A big difference between the two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Dees are ultimately making a play for pick 3.

I was thinking the same thing. After their weird trade of 14, 27 and 35 for 11 last year I was hoping he could exploit them.

North seems like a stronger chance to make that happen perhaps, holding 2 and with their own desire to pick split

So why do you ignore that we can get flankers with picks outside the first round? And all the major phantom drafts, why do none of them have flankers in the top10? You're being different for the sake of being different. Sort of what fearthers do. It's why I asked the question.

What pick did Lockie Whitfield go?

Luke Hodge?

I see Travagalia as that exact type of player.

And he will only cost a pick around 7 to 10.

My perfect draft is we get Travalgalia AND a Lindsay or if we do land another top 10 pick a sliding mid like Langford or Smillie. Lindsay at 10/11 would be just as good.

This draft is very hard to judge. The best mid may well just get taken after pick 10.

You call this being different for the sake of it. Well just focusing on using our lowest pick on a mid is simplistic without understanding the depth of this draft. And disregarding what the modern game has become or what our list needs are.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back