Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stewart and Zuthrie can hold their heads up. Loved Mannaghs first half.
Forwardline barely competed. Tried to be too cute in these conditions and leave the hard stuff for others. Ollie Henry may have thought he was the sub again.

Clohesy should stay in. Give him a proper game. 2 senior ganes as sub isnt fun Im sure. But he will probably lose his spot to Atkins.
Parff and Knevitt for Bruhn and Neale.

Forgot to mention Zuthrie in my post.

He could not have got any more out of himself in 2024.

He loses the odd contest, but not bloody many, and the ones he does lose he has given %100 effort.

Really impressed with what he has delivered this year, been epic.

I feel we lost that game at selection. We got out muscled by a more mature team.

Bring in bigger bodies for the slugfest:

- Atkins, MOC and Bruhn around the ball (not sure who goes out)

- Neale at FF helps Jezza for O. Henry out

We leant a bit tonight about Dempsey and others in the wet. Good thing is September is generally played in good conditions and our game is suited to clean ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Knevitt needs to be delisted. Move him on.
Such a shit take. Coming in with no leaders at all in the midfield while we get smashed and you pick on the kid who is least expected to take control of the situation. Needs some games to see what he has. We gift plenty of games to others, might as well give him a few.

Option 1: Play Hawkins, Neale and Cameron.

Option 2: Play Cameron, Henry and Rohan.

I guarantee 100% of people on here would vote Option 1 as the one to play 'Bomb long to a contest'. Playing the 2nd option and kicking it Khamis, English and Lobb all night was truly maddening.

It felt like the worst of all conditions for us where it was muddy and heavy so we couldn't get any clean, dynamic outside play but it wasn't that wet so their talls were still able to impact.

I think just move on and forget about this one. We were forced to play an inside game against one of the best inside teams in the comp and got it handed to us.

giphy.gif

What I want to say about tonight..
Don’t think you’ll ever have to worry about it (him) again.

Unsurprisingly, in terms of SC scores, the Dogs had 8 of the best 10 players on the ground, and we had 8 of the 10 worst.

Unfortunately for us, those who were amongst the worst on ground included Cameron, Miers and Dempsey, who have all been key players for us in the past.

All 3 of those Geelong players are not suited to tonights conditions. They want to do the fancy stuff and not just put your head over the ball and compete.

Would love to discuss what we got wrong tactically but really we were just outplayed.

I recon we needed to start Stewart at HB. We always lose the midfield battle against dogs but he dominates and launches attacks.

We still have a lot of young players and can get belted now and then, especially by bigger bodies.

Rohan tried hard and contested, but is not a four quarter dominant target. O Henry again let his man dominate. When was the last game we won with him playing 4 quarters? It was a toss up between Chlosey and Cameron as to who had the cleaner jumper in the last quarter. Bit harsh maybe but Jezza really needs to improve what he does when he gets sub optimal kicks coming in. Doesn't contest sometimes.

Dogs were good and should have won by more. I think we looked a bit small.

There’s often a single stat that tells the tale. Tonight it was this.

View attachment 2053933

Simply out worked
I think it was just as much game plan as it was work rate. We laud CS (rightly) most weeks but I reckon they will (should) take a lot of the blame.

At 3qtr time we had 60 handballs to 115. bulldogs were getting handball chains as well as short kicks.

That is how we have played last few weeks. It gets miers dempsey Bowes and close involved which really opens up good entries.

But this week we decided to just go long to a contest. And at same time left Neale out. Made lob look like a champion defender.

I reckon I counted a dozen times where we had a better option than going long to undersized forwards

Tough night for forwards. With 39 entries. And having Rohan and stengle as the highest kickers inside 50. Rohan had 5 turnovers from 9 kicks. Stengle 5 turnovers from 8 kicks!

We need those link players involved and didn’t happen tonight. Bowes ran the most on the ground and miers was 4th. With Dempsey the most at high speed and close and Dempsey top 3 for sprints. So I don’t think it was work rate but just not used

Bowes 77% poss in backline and 6 cba just made no sense to me given he has proven his only real value is through the middle involved in scores.

Mannagh 74% poss in defence due to game plan 3 uncontested poss and 2 SI.

just poor plan today and think they got cute. mc are allowed a bad game but hope they recognise it and correct.

On top of that danger was off in a game that I thought would suit. He had 3 possessions over 2 qtrs playing MF. Hard to do.

Stewart a lot of the ball and gave it his all but 22 kicks to 4 handballs at 50% disposal eff doesn’t help as much as possessions seemed.

And Jezza…

Some of the reactions here show a surprising failure to realise that we have one of the weakest midfields in the league at the moment. They were always going to struggle against the Dogs, who have a very strong midfield group, then the weather didn't help, and not having Atkins or Bruhn also didn't help.

Workrate was unacceptable but the way the game played out was more a reversion to where we actually stand than things falling apart. We beat Essendon and Collingwood and look at them last night and today, maybe not actually that impressive to beat them...

I hope the club is more focused on getting someone like Treloar than they are on getting Smith. We are covered for outside midfielders, we desperately need some contested ball class.

Rohan was ok but its pretty clear him and henry structurally doesnt work and im not dropping henry. Mannagh is not just best 22 but probably best 12 at this rate (its stupid he was left out as long as he was) so we have to drop a fwd and id take neale over rohan for mine.
Well I wouldn't be dropping Rohan. Henry pulled a good switch back to mark and goal but outside that I don't think I saw him do much of anything. I don't think Neale and Rohan are comparable either so dropping Rohan to keep Neale doesnt make any sense to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all still writing off Hawkins? Sheez he would have been handy tonight. Watching Lobb hand Cameron’s arse to him was a seriously tough watch. Rory f$&kin Lobb of all players!!!
Would he though? We already had a full forward line of non-leading players being out marked by more mobile opponents...

The result is the result and we deserved to lose by that much

Mids were the mids and it’s been done to death. We all know the gun mids will destroy us. And so it was tonight. Bowes and Parfitt are ave. Danger is great but can only go half a game. Blitz surprisingly is in trouble. At mid 30s I’m not confident it’s just form.

The fwds were awful and the conditions double that. Olly Henry and Dempsey refused to play in front and applied zero pressure. Dempsey will go back to the wing but Olly needs a rest. He isn’t learning. It’s infuriating. It’s not Stengles role but he also refused to get infront. Cameron played the way he always does. Ball use was terrible but he also need to bring the ball to ground. Rohan seems the only one that plays with a kill at all costs attitude.

SDK was ok if he was a developing ruck in their first year but let’s be honest he was thrashed by English. Compounded by the fact he’s on terrific money. Key defender money. Further compounded by the fact Noughton, JUH and Darcy were killing us all night. He isn’t going to play there next year so just see the year out with Stanley and make other arrangements post season.

Chris Scott is the best coach but Duncan and Touhy in the backline seems shocking from the outside. Both slow, don’t want to play one on one. Duncs can’t defend at all in the air. Surely there is another reign to pull.

We all got fooled again. The Cattery is not what it used to be and they are probably are better suited away from there and the less games played at KP the better in 2025. Put the cue in the rack now, they're only making up numbers.

Don’t think you’ll ever have to worry about it (him) again.
Not actually where I was going. There was just so much rant worthy about tonight.
Said all I have to about the 2nd worst cats 100 gamer I've watched.

Currently home, defrosting myself and relaxing tunes on reminding myself it's just a game and the show does go on.

Blitz surprisingly is in trouble. At mid 30s I’m not confident it’s just form.

Very far from our worst tonight. If one or both of his tough shots on goal had sneaked through you wouldn't be talking like that. He was, aside from Ted, the only one to attack the footy I reckon.

Duncan and Touhy in the backline seems shocking from the outside. Both slow, don’t want to play one on one. Duncs can’t defend at all in the air. Surely there is another reign to pull.

O'Connor. Yeah, we'd like him to get more of the footy, but tell me honestly when was the last time you saw Merrick shirk a contest, do something stupid, fail to stick a tackle, or refuse to compete in the air?

You've definitely got a thing for dropping Rohan. I don't think you can say any of our players were good tonight but I thought Rohan was one of the cleanest with possession.
Got a thing for bringing in Stanley too. If all of Blicavs, Neale and SDK get injured then maybe.
He's cooked and like Bews and Parfitt should not feature for Geelong at senior level again.

Well I wouldn't be dropping Rohan. Henry pulled a good switch back to mark and goal but outside that I don't think I saw him do much of anything. I don't think Neale and Rohan are comparable either so dropping Rohan to keep Neale doesnt make any sense to me

Who are you dropping then?

You've definitely got a thing for dropping Rohan. I don't think you can say any of our players were good tonight but I thought Rohan was one of the cleanest with possession.
Surely you drop Henry before Rohan.

Agree with earlier poster that it is time to give O Henry a different role.or time in the VFL. Just needs a change

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back