Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the dogs have a totally different structure in their 22 and its obvious why ours is not setup to handle a mud pit.
Would have thought multiple tall marking kpp would be disadvantaged by wet, windy, boggy conditions, but they weren't. That's purely on our players not handling it well, not because of their structure.
Better saying we had a collective mare than blaming our structure I would have thought, but you may be correct.

Age profiles are actually the most boring topic week on week. They really don't mean much and can be sliced up a million ways.
The most egregious one being:

Old on paper =bad
Young on paper = good

This weekend, our side had a higher average age than most others, yet I would still choose our under-25 players over the majority of those clubs any day of the week

Conversely though, the majority of these teams likely have superior players in the 25-30 age range, which isn't immediately apparent from their age profiles.

Funnily enough, one would probably expect the opposite just going off the raw numbers with no further digging.

Would have thought multiple tall marking kpp would be disadvantaged by wet, windy, boggy conditions, but they weren't. That's purely on our players not handling it well, not because of their structure.
Better saying we had a collective mare than blaming our structure I would have thought, but you may be correct.

We definitely had a collective mare.

But our game plan relies on controlling the ball and then moving it at pace. The mud pit was the absolute worst conditions to do that.

The bulldogs strengths are a very mature midfield and some strong tall targets. The mud pit was perfect for that. Their mature mids won the contested ball (as expected) and their tall forwards were able to make a contest and then never got exposed on the rebound because fast movement was impossible.

The perfect storm.

I only wish I was smart enough to realise before the game because it would have been a good earn.

Wasn’t just the conditions - it was the style we adopted (or were forced into) which can be a nightmare for the wings. No speed or overlap at all and only kick on wing is to congested pack where wingers are bit players. Then they go straight back into corridor ignoring wing who may have pushed down on the other side.

Other game style the wing is important link

Dempsey didn’t get near it on the other wing (yes lost a couple of contests but otherwise didn’t really get a look in despite hard running) and neither did Blitz nor Miers when on wing. Knevitt isn’t alone.

He will be very handy with more confidence. Height will be a weapon
Dempsey runs hard but the most disappointing aspect was the number of times he put in short steps to avoid a contest. I know he is lightly built but I am having trouble seeing how he could be trusted in a final.

Dempsey runs hard but the most disappointing aspect was the number of times he put in short steps to avoid a contest. I know he is lightly built but I am having trouble seeing how he could be trusted in a final.
He'll learn from it and get better, it's the one flaw he's got at the moment.

Another pre-season or two with some more size, to go with the game sense that comes with experience and he'll be fine. He's still learning the game, and the physicality that comes with it.

Just like how Clark will likely improve his disposal as he adjusts to the speed of the game.

Every young player has got a flaw, you give them time to work on it. It's nothing terminal

We definitely had a collective mare.

But our game plan relies on controlling the ball and then moving it at pace. The mud pit was the absolute worst conditions to do that.

The bulldogs strengths are a very mature midfield and some strong tall targets. The mud pit was perfect for that. Their mature mids won the contested ball (as expected) and their tall forwards were able to make a contest and then never got exposed on the rebound because fast movement was impossible.

The perfect storm.

I only wish I was smart enough to realise before the game because it would have been a good earn.
Great explanation.
Missed viewing much of it due to work, so was score watching.
The VFL game probably churned it up for us, adversely.

Because the dogs have a totally different structure in their 22 and its obvious why ours is not setup to handle a mud pit.
Already replied, but a more appropriate reply to Hinkley29 hopefully makes sense.

The first 3 listed will be gone, and I could see MOC potentially going back to Ireland too, even with his contract.

More gut feel than anything, but I've always felt he would, and if he's told that he's likely surplus to requirements at his exit meeting then that could sway his thinking in that direction.

Touhy & Hawk are likely going too, Rohan & Duncan less likely, but still a possibility.

Going to need to get busy this off-season. One would think we've got more than one iron in the fire with Smith, but who knows.
Hawkins likely going! The only way he plays next year is as Goal Shooter in the new AFL mixed netball league.

Great explanation.
Missed viewing much of it due to work, so was score watching.
The VFL game probably churned it up for us, adversely.
The interesting thing was that the ground looked churned up at the start of the vfl game. My initial thought watching it was that it must have had a lot of training on the ground. Which makes no sense.

The weird thing is that Geelong hadn’t actually seen much rain since Tuesday. Geelong only had 3.8mm of rain yesterday, which is not a lot.

The condition of the ground was just weird. It is why I compared it to moorabin from the 80’s when it would (not-so) mysteriously be a bog regardless of weather. The sprinklers used to get a workout on a Friday night at that ground.

He doesn’t take short steps. He is smart enough to know that if he tries a crash and bash game that he will inevitably lose. So he plays to his strengths which is elite ball use and great vision.

He is not prime Michael Voss and it is unrealistic to expect him to play like that. It doesn’t make him untrustworthy.

Don’t know that we will be managing anybody against North next week. They are playing too well for us to muck around in Hobart

Tuohy has been rested every few weeks and is probably due one regardless of oppo.
Bruhn and atkins will be in for parf and knevitt (thats obvious) but id like to see neale too and i assume we bring stanley in to allow sdk to go back (scott did say last week he wont ruck every week).

Tuohy has been rested every few weeks and is probably due one regardless of oppo.
Bruhn and atkins will be in for parf and knevitt (thats obvious) but id like to see neale too and i assume we bring stanley in to allow sdk to go back (scott did say last week he wont ruck every week).
Norf might be a challenge if we don't get it right.

Axe Scratcher and Rhys yes. SDK back and floating but gotta have Stewart in the guts for most of it.

JC CHF with a rocket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Axe Scratcher and Rhys yes. SDK back and floating but gotta have Stewart in the guts for most of it.

JC CHF with a rocket

I agree with all of that but the MF needs bruhn too.

I think we have to put stewart in the middle.

JC CHF with a rocket
Xerri will eat SDK for breakfast and theyve now got Larkey, Comben and Teakle who can all clunk a mark up forward and are big units, if we dont play Rhys and Neale next week they are taking the piss.

Bit of a perfect storm that extenuated our weakness and brought their strengths to the fore

The ground conditions that made tonight possible aren't likely to repeat. It took away our ability to move the ball that usual coverers our around the ball and aerial weaknesses.

The decision to play without Neale hurt, we had no one ahead of the ball who could create a contest and bring the ball to ground. Meant our mosquito fleet couldn't get into the game. Not that Neale alone would have been that much of a difference maker. Cameron had to play the role, it isn't his jam.

Future opposition teams won't learn much from that which is replicable

The conditions of the game should have been as advantageous for Parfitt as possible, the opposition, not so much, he isn't good enough to be in the AFL inside midfield rotations.

We keep asking the wrong things of O.Henry, it would be good for him to get him out of the Forwardline, even if only temporary. Be less structural and more see ball get ball. He'll become a more well rounded player for the experience.

Historically it is unusual for us to play less KPD then the opposition plays KPF, that isn't taking into consideration that Henry and Kolodjashnij are on the smaller side for their roles. Part of the plan is for them to be against the wall, and derive benefit for that cost elsewhere. When things are going right they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth. When it isn't it isn't their fault.

The only thing that bothered me was how we set up for the 1st quarter, we didn't change the plan to fit the conditions, when it should have been clear that what we prepared in the lead up wasn't going to be appropriate.

I think we'll bounce back pretty quickly
Seriously good post and exactly my take on that result.

Xerri will eat SDK for breakfast and theyve now got Larkey, Comben and Teakle who can all clunk a mark up forward and are big units, if we dont play Rhys and Neale next week they are taking the piss.

Rhys Stanley's AFL career is done. He is not up to the level.

We never have, it's by far our worst loss against them at KP, previous worst was 25 pts. 2003 when we were 10 goals down at 3/4 time against a side who had two wins on the ladder but managed to get to 18 pts would be the previous 'worst' in my memory.

Swans gave us a good touch up a couple of times in 2016-17 but we never looked that slack.

A dumb lazy effort from everyone involved. Was quite surprised how awful we were but then again we probably lost it at the selection table.

Half the effort. Half the score.

That is very, very generous.

This is more of a 2014 / 2018 year IMO. I don't think we will make a prelim, having said that, this is a very even and weak comp and that in itself is the reason why we were equal second on the ladder before this round.

What did we lose - 5 out of 6 at one point? Can't say I have seen many top 4 teams do that over the years. We have lost 3 games on our own turf this year.

I actually think we're tracking along okay as we transition the last - but we aren't a top 4 team - the best part of three 10 goal losses this year. 30 scoring shots to 13 last night - should of been 80+ win to the Dogs. A genuine flogging.
I reference those years not based on the teams, positions etc etc, but they were years where the right selection calls were there during the year and in big matches and the MC made wildly, frankly insane calls, that felt like "if these pay off we will look very very smart" but they had a low chance of working out.

All the best teams are running at least 2 talls forward. Whether its the Bombers who had Langford + Draper or Goldstein resting, or other teams with a traditional tall FF + tall CHF.

We didn't, and once Cameron was locked down we were completely ****ed.

As someone else said, its like they saw the VFL match where it was dominated by the smalls. But this isn't the 80s any more, most taller players are skilled below the knees and athletic.

We can't afford to go into games with just Cameron as the KPF. Need to have either Neale with him, or Stanley in a pinch. Or hell give Foster his debut.
Or bring Stanley in to ruck with Blicavs and push SDK forward.

But running one key forward was insane even with the weather report. Bulldogs tall players were the difference.

Rhys Stanley's AFL career is done. He is not up to the level.
While I think he has dropped off, he was excellent in the VFL and while his last few games for us haven't been great we don't beat the Bulldogs earlier in the season without him.

Our early season run was working better when we were alternating Stanley and Conway and unfortunately Conway is injured or we would be seeing him every week.

He was great in the VFL, Xerri is a bigger body than SDK and Blicavs and we are going to need height in defence. As long as Stanley doesn't get smashed in the ruck then its worth bringing him in.

While I think he has dropped off, he was excellent in the VFL and while his last few games for us haven't been great we don't beat the Bulldogs earlier in the season without him.

Our early season run was working better when we were alternating Stanley and Conway and unfortunately Conway is injured or we would be seeing him every week.

He was great in the VFL, Xerri is a bigger body than SDK and Blicavs and we are going to need height in defence. As long as Stanley doesn't get smashed in the ruck then its worth bringing him in.
And we don’t want SDK being smashed up before the finals, as he has had little experience of this very physical position.

And we don’t want SDK being smashed up before the finals, as he has had little experience of this very physical position.
I still think SDK is better at the 2nd ruck position than Blicavs is, gets more of the ball and is a better user of it.

If I had my way, I would be putting Blicavs into defense where his height and mobility can shut out Larkey, I would bring Stanley back in [in future ideally this is Conway or another #1 ruck if one comes our way] and use SDK as a back up ruck/forward.

Were we watching the same VFL game? Stanley dominated the hit outs but was his usual uncompetitive self away from stoppage. He makes crucial errors and doesn't compete in the air when we need him to. He is a liability.

I reference those years not based on the teams, positions etc etc, but they were years where the right selection calls were there during the year and in big matches and the MC made wildly, frankly insane calls, that felt like "if these pay off we will look very very smart" but they had a low chance of working out.

All the best teams are running at least 2 talls forward. Whether its the Bombers who had Langford + Draper or Goldstein resting, or other teams with a traditional tall FF + tall CHF.

We didn't, and once Cameron was locked down we were completely ****ed.

As someone else said, its like they saw the VFL match where it was dominated by the smalls. But this isn't the 80s any more, most taller players are skilled below the knees and athletic.

We can't afford to go into games with just Cameron as the KPF. Need to have either Neale with him, or Stanley in a pinch. Or hell give Foster his debut.
Or bring Stanley in to ruck with Blicavs and push SDK forward.

But running one key forward was insane even with the weather report. Bulldogs tall players were the difference.
Rohan has previously sufficed in times of need as a pseudo marking KF, but he needs good delivery, and getting smashed in the MF killed our forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Doggies Woof all over Cats by 47 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back