News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

The Don on ABC Sports Talk this morning.

Around 24:30 minute mark. Total duration of interview approx 25min

Just listening now.

Talks -
WCE Academy and drafting out of academies and what WCE do in this space.
Changing drafting rules surrounding Academy and F/S.
Indigenous pathways.
Fixturing and competitive balance.
Beagles.
Re-signing of Yeo.
Harley re-signing update.
The upcoming trade period.
Mark Evan’s comments about first final being interstate.
MCG Grand Final contract.
Father- Son drafting and the points system.
Concussion retirements and effect on salary cap.
Community programme.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

The one I really want them to jump on is the May staging for a free kick, pretending a head knock - a blight on the game that stuff. Don't want a pissy fine, I want a suspension for that. Disgraceful!
They're on it. ;)

The one I really want them to jump on is the May staging for a free kick, pretending a head knock - a blight on the game that stuff. Don't want a pissy fine, I want a suspension for that. Disgraceful!

There's a stigma for being a stager (and deservedly) so much so that the AFL are hesitant to penalise players for it. From memory I think I can only remember it leading to a fine once. They just don't do it enough coz once they start handing it out it will have an immediate effect as the macho AFL players don't won't to be known as a diver. The grabbing of the head and looking at the umpire has become more prevalent this year than ever before. Yet every player still gets up and takes their kick and plays out the game.

There's a stigma for being a stager (and deservedly) so much so that the AFL are hesitant to penalise players for it. From memory I think I can only remember it leading to a fine once. They just don't do it enough coz once they start handing it out it will have an immediate effect as the macho AFL players don't won't to be known as a diver. The grabbing of the head and looking at the umpire has become more prevalent this year than ever before. Yet every player still gets up and takes their kick and plays out the game.
With the emphasis on protecting the head the AFL should bring in a ruling that anyone grabbing the head after a clash should be an immediate assessment on the bench. Doesn't have to be the full HIA, just an initial doctor's assessment which involves the doctors scanning the footage etc.

Will keep the player off the field for enough time to weed out the fakes. Will also be embarrassing for them when the doctors see they faked it.

The solution to this is stop paying free kicks for dangerous tackles. Still suspend the tackler for it sure but if it isn't a free kick then there is no incentive for a player to pretend their head has been driven into the ground.

Dangerous tackle = 1 week blanket suspension (get rid of the "potential to cause injury" tax that apparently only applies to Eagles players) but no free kick

Players have found ways to con the umpire's into free kicks for years. Watch how many times players on the ground come up holding their heads after a tackle. Small forwards lead with their heads, big towards lunge forward in a marking contest complaining they have been pushed.

Is this part of the game or more sinister?

Players have found ways to con the umpire's into free kicks for years. Watch how many times players on the ground come up holding their heads after a tackle. Small forwards lead with their heads, big towards lunge forward in a marking contest complaining they have been pushed.

Is this part of the game or more sinister?

Most definitely, in all sports players push the limit to get frees or benefit from penalties.

For me it appears the AFL is trying to appear to be on the side of "protect the head" and are drilling this into the umpires and the head grab is something they can't be seen to be ignoring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd with some good analysis on Ginbey, some work still to do.
Shows how hard it is for a young midfielder lining up on one of the best in the comp in Merrett. Ginbey cops it on here for being too defensive-minded and not chasing the ball enough (and seems to have had that feedback internally too based on what he’s said in interviews). But the vision Lloyd highlighted shows that when you go the other way you risk leaving your man too open and you’re open to criticism. It’s a tough balance and that’s why there aren’t that many elite two-way midfielders running around. Hopefully he does learn a lot from it

Sydney (2012 over Hawthorn) and West Coast (2018 over Collingwood) are the only two clubs in the last 20 years to beat a Victorian side on the MCG – with eight others losing in the aforementioned timeframe.

Statistical anomaly I guess. 😊
Surprised that the VaFL hasn’t launched an investigation…

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back