News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Ryan was on ABC last night for a rare interview and he actually spoke quite well.

Always been a bit camera/media shy in the past but he gave a lot of insight in this one which I think is definitely worth a listen.

Interview starts at 24:20 and goes for well over 15 mins:

Liam Ryan was on ABC last night for a rare interview and he actually spoke quite well.

Always been a bit camera/media shy in the past but he gave a lot of insight in this one which I think is definitely worth a listen.

Interview starts at 24:20 and goes for well over 15 mins:

How many rugs did he sell?

I'm interested to know what AFL podcasts others rate/listen too.

Below is my list. Being based in Sydney I am more slanted to the WA productions to actually get some decent Eagles (and WA footy in general) content.

• Hard Ball Gets (2 Minute Warning) - Love this one, perfect post round review of every club, and good banter between Xavier Ellis and Rhino.

• Shelter Footycast (both review and preview shows) - Schoey and Skeeter are both fantastic talent, and both have really great footy IQ. I rate Schoey's relatively recent insight from his playing days, and Skeeter is just a polished presenter who loves taking the pi55 out of himself.

• The Game (both review and preview shows) - Never used to miss when Duffield was co-host, however Barra can be a very challenge listen these days. Quarters does his best in holding it together. Decent WA footy coverage and also enjoy the odd WAFL info thrown in.

• Footy & Friends (both review and preview shows) – Genuinely hilarious banter between Dyl Buckley, Deledio and Mick Barlow. Lids and Barlow in particular are massive footy nerds (and have great WCE knowledge), and hearing them pot one another for an hour is a good chuckle.

• Coast to Coast - A bit hit and miss depending on talent. Thumper is pretty funny, Oscar is the ultimate company man these days so he is pretty vanilla. Used to tune in every week when Hammer was co-host but it has fallen away a fair bit.

• Eagle Nation - I like the content from these three boys, decent knowledge and analysis.

• Fox Footy (First Crack) - Tuning in less and less these days, but Montagna and King are generally pretty good.

Below is my list. Being based in Sydney I am more slanted to the WA productions to actually get some decent Eagles (and WA footy in general) content.

• Hard Ball Gets (2 Minute Warning) - Love this one, perfect post round review of every club, and good banter between Xavier Ellis and Rhino.

• Shelter Footycast (both review and preview shows) - Schoey and Skeeter are both fantastic talent, and both have really great footy IQ. I rate Schoey's relatively recent insight from his playing days, and Skeeter is just a polished presenter who loves taking the pi55 out of himself.

• The Game (both review and preview shows) - Never used to miss when Duffield was co-host, however Barra can be a very challenge listen these days. Quarters does his best in holding it together. Decent WA footy coverage and also enjoy the odd WAFL info thrown in.

• Footy & Friends (both review and preview shows) – Genuinely hilarious banter between Dyl Buckley, Deledio and Mick Barlow. Lids and Barlow in particular are massive footy nerds (and have great WCE knowledge), and hearing them pot one another for an hour is a good chuckle.

• Coast to Coast - A bit hit and miss depending on talent. Thumper is pretty funny, Oscar is the ultimate company man these days so he is pretty vanilla. Used to tune in every week when Hammer was co-host but it has fallen away a fair bit.

• Eagle Nation - I like the content from these three boys, decent knowledge and analysis.

• Fox Footy (First Crack) - Tuning in less and less these days, but Montagna and King are generally pretty good.

You got to get round “The Nest” hosted By well known journos Drew Jones and Daniel Garb it’s elite👍

Coast to Coast - A bit hit and miss depending on talent. Thumper is pretty funny, Oscar is the ultimate company man these days so he is pretty vanilla. Used to tune in every week when Hammer was co-host but it has fallen away a fair bit.
Theyve bought in jason gilbee a lot lately hes such a strange cat but i get why the boys love him

Junktime is hilarious. Sometimes hit and miss but for the most part very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You got to get round “The Nest” hosted By well known journos Drew Jones and Daniel Garb it’s elite👍
Yep accidentally left that one out! Would be great if they could do a weekly pod but I guess their full time roles take up a lot of their time. Garby is a great commentator too, he does the Sydney/GWS games on ABC, real good operator.

1721276652792.jpeg

100,000 members for the fifth straight year, huge credit to everyone that has stuck fat by the club.

Not only does it help the club via direct financial contribution, but it’s also a great perk for the club when negotiating sponsorships, trades/contracts etc.

With clubs like Richmond having their members and attendance slowly starting to drop off post dynasty, it makes the Eagles fans stand out as being in a league of our own.

Hopefully we can stay over 100k for many years to come.

IMG_5426.JPG

Junktime is hilarious. Sometimes hit and miss but for the most part very good.
Yeah I do Junktime and 2 Guys 1 Cup.

I've drifted away from too much actual footy media while we suck so much.

Might give Rhino an Xav a go.

the hard ball gets podcast would be better if the cut out the 15mins of fluff they yap on about before getting to the footy. would also be better if they started with the WA sides first.

i rarely listen to the game these days once duffield left the west.

Dont mind shelter footycast. skeeter is way too on the fence.

Mornings with mark duffield is good.

i like listening to peter sumich pre/post footy stuff and before the game on 91.3. it reminds me of listening to 882 back when i was a kid and the old man driving me around to footy/tennis/after school stuff. more about the nostagia than anything else.

I have to give eagle nation a go.

Hard Ball Gets 2 Min warning the best by far, don't miss an ep
Don't mind Shelter and/or Backchat but in small doses. Not religious listening by any means
The Game has gone downhill since Barra came on board, sill listen once every month or so and remember why I stopped
Don't mind Coast to Coast

Then a whole heap of Fantasy stuff that pretty much covers everything better than any "real" footy pods do anyway

Disagree, love the banter personally

Better than listening to them pot the Eagles for two minutes.

If you want to listen to some banter and shit talking with some NRL sprinkled in, Hello Sport is a great podcast. They cover most of the major sporting events, UFC, some boxing, and I think they'll be all over the Olympics so could be a good time to give it a run.

Despite not being into NRL I haven't found it really bothers me listening to them talk about it, and it won't be long before Perth is back in the NRL anyway so a bit of relevance there.

• Hard Ball Gets
  • The Nest
  • The Footy With Broden
  • Monday Means Test if that counts (segment on Whateleys radio show that gets put out)
  • Sounding Board
No one else does 2 guys 1 cup? The self proclaimed footy adjacent podcast?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back