No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Hawthorn's aggression. Really taking it up to the Swines. Never mind the free kicks! Boundary umpire must have backed Sydney after Buddy kicked it with the left foot and both feet over the line.

Mitchell looks like a very good coach. Understandable why they moved him in so quickly.
I am close to a few dedicated hawks fans. As much as they loved Clarko, he has god like presence because of his record but in many way was still mortal with biases and preferences that were exaggerated because of his stature. These blokes knew Kennett would be unpopular in some sectors but the time to move had come because other clubs were sniffing around for Mitchell. A new voice was needed there.

...l. A new voice was needed there.
But preaching the same Gospel. Unsociable Football might not work so well in an environment where an upturned palm can earn a 50 metre penalty. By the time Sam Mitchell (no relation) gets to the end of his first contract, players will be calling umpires "Sir" a la Rugby Union. It sounds odd to think of young Mitchell as a dinosaur.

How good is it that Pies are paying some/all wages of 3 of our players?! :laughing:

Sam Power needs to get more players paid by other clubs. I suspect after trade period this year, we'll have more of our current list in that scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn’t he at least wear a helmet? I don’t get it.
They don't make a lot of difference. American Footballers wear helmets and they have perhaps the worst record for brain injury. Physics dictates that energy gets transferred from a moving object to a static one on impact, it's then a matter of luck where that kinetic energy is transferred.

There have been more concussions in cricket since helmets were introduced, bigger target to hit and if the ball gets stuck in the visor/chin guard, all the energy is transferred, not deflected.

They don't make a lot of difference. ...Physics dictates that energy gets transferred from a moving object to a static one on impact, it's then a matter of luck where that kinetic energy is transferred.

There have been more concussions in cricket since helmets were introduced, bigger target to hit and if the ball gets stuck in the visor/chin guard, all the energy is transferred, not deflected.
That can't be right. Helmets and body padding might have made batsmen less inclined to avoid ergo more helmet/head strikes than pre helmet days but are you sure your "more concussions", assuming you are correct, aren't a result of improved record keeping ? A fascinating area of enquiry.

But preaching the same Gospel. Unsociable Football might not work so well in an environment where an upturned palm can earn a 50 metre penalty. By the time Sam Mitchell (no relation) gets to the end of his first contract, players will be calling umpires "Sir" a la Rugby Union. It sounds odd to think of young Mitchell as a dinosaur.
I have been thinking, is this rugby Union type situation we want with our umpires, come from the fact that the VAFA mafia of private school type knob heads that run the AFL today, putting their class consciousness on to us mere working class peasants in this supposedly game for all classes?

They don't make a lot of difference. American Footballers wear helmets and they have perhaps the worst record for brain injury. Physics dictates that energy gets transferred from a moving object to a static one on impact, it's then a matter of luck where that kinetic energy is transferred.

A soft helmet…’head guard’ is maybe a better term, like Caleb’s, is absolutely better than nothing. You’re talking shite.

Your American football comparison is a complete red herring as the helmet actually encourages head contact, where it would not in AFL.

Cricket helmets. Without doing any research I’d imagine that concussions are more reported since the helmet came into play, rather than actually being more prevalent. Aside from offering a bigger area to hit and perhaps obscuring view, helmets would have next to no negative impact.

Maybe ‘assumed protection’ is another negative.

All things considered, if you are going to get whacked over the head a helmet is definitely preferential. Fancy testing it out?

I have been thinking, is this rugby Union type situation we want with our umpires, come from the fact that the VAFA mafia of private school type knob heads that run the AFL today, putting their class consciousness on to us mere working class peasants in this supposedly game for all classes?

Aren't all AFL players these days private school knobheads too? They're certainly rich. The umpires don't get paid much. Most of them probably work as janitors and bricklayers during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back