Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an elimination final for the Dawks tomorrow...win it, they're playing finals from 8th.

That Pies v Dees clash set for the Friday night is pure AFL hubris. Might as well play it at 3.30 in the afternoon at Punt Rd.

Its not an elim final.
Because if they lose but beat richmond and north (they should do) they will get 8th at freos expense if freo lose to both gws and port.
But if they win it helps a whole lot.

I agree re round 24 should have put the bris game friday night.

It's an elimination final for the Dawks tomorrow...win it, they're playing finals from 8th.

That Pies v Dees clash set for the Friday night is pure AFL hubris. Might as well play it at 3.30 in the afternoon at Punt Rd.
Nah they have a shit %, need to win every one of there games and hope others crap the bed

Melb are 100% out now

It's kind of amazing. Of the last five premiers (Collingwood 2023, Geelong 2022, Melbourne 2021, Richmond 2020 2019, West Coast 2018), we're the only one guaranteed to play finals this year and with a hot chance for top 4, no less.

Three of those teams (Richmond, Eagles, Melbourne) are also currently in the bottom 8, and one currently the wooden spoon (unlikely to change by round's end).

We are truly a blessed team.

The fixturing has been very ordinary the last few weeks- whoever was in charge of it needs to be redeployed.

Brisbane i want because i feel like our gamestyle suits us and they are mentally fragile. Id back us.
Giants i would prefer not face as i feel their run and gun could overwhelm us.
Sydney are more yo yo than a speed dater but at their best their midfield could blast ours off the park. Although i think cameron could kick a bag on their defence.
Id be confident against port without being certain.
I feel Adelaide would be the toughest assignment
We always lose finals there

Nah they have a shit %, need to win every one of there games and hope others crap the bed

No they dont 2 wins will get them in if freo lose both (i dont think they beat the giants so it comes down to port at optus).

I think if they won the flag this year they would be viewed the same was as Port of 2004, a team that should have done better with the talent at their disposal.
Yeah that and the losses in showdowns. You can finish outside the 8 but stay ahead in the showdown tally and you're salvaging pride.

Hinkley took over a side that was I think 2 wins ahead in the tally and is now 2 wins behind. Often losing those games to a rabble. That's I think a big unstated driver of the negativity. They can reconcile getting close and not making it, they can't reconcile losing to a substandard Crows outfit with this regularity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching Port vs Dees and realised the Paer have 3 ex-Cats playing: Ratugolea, Evans, and Narkle - the latter 2 effectively "rejects". Interesting.

They are a bit like the Saints back in the day. Top half dozen great, bottom half dozen terrible. Costs them come finals every time. They look primed for another prelim loss this year.

Power fans are so conflicted yet again.

Having them so high on the ladder and simultaneously hating that their coach is going to survive is my favourite subplot of the season.

Its been a season of huge swings. A bunch of teams will hit the cold hard wall of reality that only finals can bring

If Carlton and the Bulldogs win today, then the top 8 is pretty much set in terms of who will finish there. I can't see Essendon or Hawthorn making it. The last two games will determine the order in which the top teams will end up.

Hawthorn really needs to win today to keep their chances alive, but a loss, and it's over, IMO.

Last edited:
If Carlton and the Bulldogs win today, then the top 8 is pretty much set in terms of who will finish there. I can't see Essendon or Hawthorn making it. The last two games will determine the order in which the top teams will end up.

Hawthorn really needs to win today to keep their chances alive, but a loss, and it's over, IMO.

No its not.
Freo have gws away (which i cant see them winning even with darcy back) and then port at home (and port will be fighting for 2nd spot).
If freo drop both if those hawks are in so long as they beat richmond and NM (which they should).
So hawks can lose today and still make it.

No its not.
Freo have gws away (which i cant see them winning even with darcy back) and then port at home (and port will be fighting for 2nd spot).
If freo drop both if those hawks are in so long as they beat richmond and NM (which they should).

Dammit!!

No its not.

I reckon Freo will beat Port at Home.
Freo will be playing for their Finals life in Round 24. I can see them playing it like its their Grand Final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back