Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

The more egregious errors were the things like Gulden early on, running into an open goal, usually eats them for breakfast, sprays it. McInerney (who was very good all game), kicking an absolute grubber ball along the ground and missing the goal with the whole forward 50 open in front of him. Then spraying his own set shot later on. Warner getting the ball 50 out and going for a butchered kick to a contest rather than for goal himself. Papley, Heeney all missing fairly routine snaps for them. Heeney just flat out missing a teammate with a lazy handball and turning it over in the middle of the ground. Adams having way more time inside 50 directly in front than he thought and spraying a regular snap at goal.

These are pretty standard plays for the above players that 8 out of 10 times they probably nail. If even one of them nail their chance, we win.

Yes we were horrible but if anything it shows how miles ahead of everyone else we really are.

Last year Pies got smashed by Hawks Lions Blues later in the year, they still survived
They did also play a lot of games at the mcg. There’s an interesting article in the age about the level of disadvantage interstate sides have in the gf.
Jordons tagging didn't seem to work today as much
Kept Clarke quiet first half. Horse changed it up at half time

For all the poor stuff. 14.14 plus a whole bunch of shots that didn't score is shocking accuracy. 98 is usually a winning score so we get away with it a lot....but I could easily see accuracy bringing us undone when it really matters if we don't put some work into improving it. I don't know which of our players I'd back in with a late shot to put us in front.

The slow starts are killer but are more mental and surely this loss rams the point home. The starts generally weren't an issue earlier in the year but have developed into one. It's gotten in their heads a bit, and maybe the players have been a bit too accepting of it? Surely we will fix this part of our game up by the end of the year?

Was at the game, here are my key takeaways:

• Chad was unbelievably poor! Not sure if huge $$ contract talk got to his head, but he needs to be told to pull his head in and play more “team oriented”!!
  • thought Braeden had a good game (great goal when we needed it), which hopefully will instil some confidence in him 👍
  • our players consistently slip over more than our opponents… FFS, start wearing the appropriate boots!!
  • our skills were appalling, so many crap kicks and handballs it wasn’t funny
  • was interesting (and smart) to see Rampe telling all the talls to run down to the Freo goal line at the end … to help force the ball over for a behind, but Logan’s kick was so poor (short and wide), they couldn’t do it 🤷‍♂️
  • don’t have a prob with losing the game (we were due), but very concerning that Freo’s game style was able to dominate us for large parts of the game 😳

Last edited:
Was at the game, here are my key takeaways:

• Chad was unbelievably poor! Not sure if huge $$ contract talk got to his head, but he needs to be told to pull his head in and play more “team oriented”!!
  • thought Braeden had a good game (great goal when we needed it), which hopefully will instil some confidence in him 👍
  • our players consistently slip over more than our opponents… FFS, start wearing the appropriate boots!!
  • our skills were appalling, so many crap kicks and handballs it wasn’t funny
  • was interesting (and smart) to see Rampe telling all the talls to run down to the Freo goal line at the end … to help punch the ball over for a behind, but Logan’s kick was so poor (short and wide), they couldn’t do it 🤷‍♂️
  • don’t have a prob with losing the game (we were due), but very concerning that Freo’s game style was able to dominate us for large parts of the game 😳

You took your wife didn't you

He slowed down a bit in the second half, but Serong over Stephens is going to haunt us for years. The kind of player that we have desperately needed for years.
not now, we have covered that fail….

Why did today raise any real
doubts though

Because it showed we’re not unbeatable and that Richmond wasn’t an aberration. It’s very possible to knock us off our game with sustained pressure and efficient kicking. I think the win-loss record flatters us somewhat. We’re not quite as dominant as it seems.

Warner seemed determined to try and star today even in the last he was looking fired up even a bit chirpy before it was bounced. Looked like he tried to break every tackle, so that odd one handed drop to his non preferred and hack kick it and nothing worked.

He went back a bit to 2023 where his defence seemed to suffer at times from a willingness to work? Just to me looked like a star kid who was having a shit game and didn't know how to adjust

Some people need to log off and come back tomorrow. Some utterly ridiculous conclusions being drawn from a one point loss against a top 8 side.
when you see who is posting you dont worry about such things, some people respond predictably , but in anycase, its what bf is … everyone can post what they want, just ignore the melters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it showed we’re not unbeatable and that Richmond wasn’t an aberration. It’s very possible to knock us off our game with sustained pressure and efficient kicking. I think the win-loss record flatters us somewhat. We’re not quite as dominant as it seems.

Of course we are not unbeatable you didnt really believe that nonsense did you? how does our w/l flatter us?? when our average winning margin was 5 goals.

Each to their own but my take is that No side is unbeatable ever, otherwise why play.

The win loss record doesn't flatter us at all, you could make the case we should be undefeated , 2 kicks and we are, so why would you really argue the other way.

AFL games are hard to win , like Longmire keeps saying and every side brings pressure and works hard even when it looks shit, sometimes the other sides efforts just pay off.

You only have to be the best side on the day to win a game, even Richmond and North can knock off better teams on their day.

If our place flatters us what about others

Carlton- limped over the line v the Dees , barely beat GWS, Lions could run through their form similar to ours, go to sleep for last quarters and second halves , we shat on them

Pies- keep limping over the line every second week

Bombers played ****en no one barely beat Eagles Roos Crows Saints

Lions - lost more than won just about
I can't be stuffed doing the whole list.

But even if we "aren't that good" apply the same lens to everyone and we are still better.

Are we dead certs, shit no, but plenty to work on, plenty to work with and every other side would love our spot.

It’s hard to watch a game you know we lost (an hour after it finished) - hard slog indeed.

The amount of jogging and general lack of intensity was pretty clear to see.

Frustrating, but it’s impossible to be “up” for every game - so just put this one down as an inevitable speed bump I suppose.

As long we turn St Kilda into a speed bump, all is forgiven.

It’s hard to watch a game you know we lost (an hour after it finished) - hard slog indeed.

The amount of jogging and general lack of intensity was pretty clear to see.

Frustrating, but it’s impossible to be “up” for every game - so just put this one down as an inevitable speed bump I suppose.

As long we turn St Kilda into a speed bump, all is forgiven.

Probably be like the Eagles win

I can easily see us losing to St Kilda next week. Today unfortunately showed we’re not as good as we thought we were and St Kilda are no pushovers in Melbourne.
They're like 3-5 in Melbourne, and if you count Geelong its 3-6 hardly something to give us headaches over.

Why did today raise any real
doubts though
Exactly. We'll all whinge and moan about a below par performance today but it doesn't change the fact that we're still flying up top of the ladder and our best will win the flag.

Get back our best next week and today is a memory. A month of poor footy then maybe some doubts creep in.

Will we rush Mills straight in for Cunningham?

If fit must be tempting , but presume he has a run in the VFL?

I'd like to see Fox back.

I'd probably thank Cleary and bring Roberts back unless Mills comes in.

Exactly. We'll all whinge and moan about a below par performance today but it doesn't change the fact that we're still flying up top of the ladder and our best will win the flag.

Get back our best next week and today is a memory. A month of poor footy then maybe some doubts creep in.

Blues fans think we faltering don't need to read it on here 😂

My glass half full cents.

We kicked 98 points playing with 4 percent less disposal efficiency than Fremantle. We lost by a point.

If we had won, we get out of jail and the lads feel that and we feel we got away with it and we still remain complacent.

If we had drawn, our percentage gain we've worked for this season really means nothing for majority of those sides chasing us down on the ladder and it would have felt like a loss.

So....we lost, a wake-up call for not only the playing group but also the coaching staff that we are the team being hunted by all other clubs. Imagine if we got flogged by 60 today at home? That would have more impact than a point loss when we didn't turn up in the first half. Fremantle were great with their pressure and credit to their coaching staff, they went to work to shut down our star midfield and drivers.

Premierships aren't won in June/July and this was a loss that, given how slow we've been in first quarters this year, it only took a quality opposition to take their chances and make us pay.

Credit to the lads, they fought back and nearly took the 4 points. Regardless of the pessimists on here, we will still be 8 points ahead of 2nd place, still sitting at number 1.

Go Bloods!

Each to their own but my take is that No side is unbeatable ever, otherwise why play.

The win loss record doesn't flatter us at all, you could make the case we should be undefeated , 2 kicks and we are, so why would you really argue the other way.

AFL games are hard to win , like Longmire keeps saying and every side brings pressure and works hard even when it looks shit, sometimes the other sides efforts just pay off.

You only have to be the best side on the day to win a game, even Richmond and North can knock off better teams on their day.

If our place flatters us what about others

Carlton- limped over the line v the Dees , barely beat GWS, Lions could run through their form similar to ours, go to sleep for last quarters and second halves , we shat on them

Pies- keep limping over the line every second week

Bombers played ****en no one barely beat Eagles Roos Crows Saints

Lions - lost more than won just about
I can't be stuffed doing the whole list.

But even if we "aren't that good" apply the same lens to everyone and we are still better.

Are we dead certs, shit no, but plenty to work on, plenty to work with and every other side would love our spot.

I wanted us to do Essendon 2000 or Geelong 2008 (minus the grand final haha). Those teams seemed almost unbeatable in the regular season. And now that’s gone. We’re right back in the pack. Lose another unlucky one and suddenly 1st place is in doubt. Maybe we even do a North Melbourne of 2016 and barely scrape into the finals!

I did fully expect us to lose again, but I was hoping we make it to 16-1 (after the NM game) before losing a couple. It seemed entirely doable. Fremantle really aren’t that good. They shouldn’t be beating us at the SCG if we’re serious about this year. And it wasn’t an arsey win. They led the whole game and dominated the general play. It’s a concern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back