Review Positives and Negatives - UP THE BLOODY COASTERS EDITION - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Richmond basically play to hit a target if it's open or just send a mongrel punt in and back their forwards pressure game to win out more often than not. It goes without saying the pressure their forwards put on defenders is on a level not seen in the game. It's been the main driver behind 3 flags.

At first it feels a bit counter-intuitive because teams are more likely to kick a goal from a set shot in comparison to a ground ball snap so you'd think you wanna try hit a forward going into 50. But then at AFL level you don't often have two team mates side by side without an opponent, especially in the forward line. So a slightly misdirected drop punt is probably going straight to the direct opponent of the guy you missed. Better to just force it to the deck, let it wobble around and turn it into a 50/50 ball. And as has been mentioned, teams are better than ever at punishing opponents from intercept marks in their defensive 50, so minimising them is a good tactic.

Yep, Richmond basically play to hit a target if it's open or just send a mongrel punt in and back their forwards pressure game to win out more often than not. It goes without saying the pressure their forwards put on defenders is on a level not seen in the game. It's been the main driver behind 3 flags.

At first it feels a bit counter-intuitive because teams are more likely to kick a goal from a set shot in comparison to a ground ball snap so you'd think you wanna try hit a forward going into 50. But then at AFL level you don't often have two team mates side by side without an opponent, especially in the forward line. So a slightly misdirected drop punt is probably going straight to the direct opponent of the guy you missed. Better to just force it to the deck, let it wobble around and turn it into a 50/50 ball. And as has been mentioned, teams are better than ever at punishing opponents from intercept marks in their defensive 50, so minimising them is a good tactic.
Thats why TB was absolutely immense in the last quarter with those intercepts. Hurn too but I think a couple of his were more down to brainfades from the Tigers.

The TB ones are Richmond’s bread and butter. Just send it long and hope for the ball to hit the ground. If he doesn’t mark those they swarm the drop of the ball and likely score from that position.

I have a confession to make.

Wrote the team off leading up to the carton game. I said it didn't matter who came back, we are over the hill and have been since 18. And I relished a top 5 to 8 pick on a midfielder as we were nowhere. I also said a lot of our supporters had their head stuck in the sand.

In my defence, for the most part, the team were displaying all those characteristics and for a few years.... lazy, over the hill, shizzen match committee in playing talls and a gameplan that was 3 years out of date.

Even so, I'm here to say I was wrong.

I have a confession to make.

Wrote the team off leading up to the carton game. I said it didn't matter who came back, we are over the hill and have been since 18. And I relished a top 5 to 8 pick on a midfielder as we were nowhere. I also said a lot of our supporters had their head stuck in the sand.

In my defence, for the most part, the team were displaying all those characteristics and for a few years.... lazy, over the hill, shizzen match committee in playing talls and a gameplan that was 3 years out of date.

Even so, I'm here to say I was wrong.

Yeah but have you changed your mind about Priddis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson had a pretty good game plan . Set up the wall at Richmond's CHF , make them kick over it and hope we can intercept mark the long ball in .

He gave them the easy hit up passes in our back half but tried to stop them getting over the back for their trademark run and gun rolling maul .

In the 4th when we were 4 goals down we went full forward press risking the over the back goal backing our boys marking and getting repeat entries .

For the tigers who had been hitting easy targets with little pressure in the backline for 3/4 of the game suddenly found themselves under the pump and they crumbled making bad mistakes and giving away silly free kicks .

This is from an old Bay 13 thread, epic effort:

View attachment 1155996k
That's is amazing.

I used to hat dwayne, then I just started to view him as a bit of a joke. He is so over the top all of the time, that I find it hilarious. Much more fun than someone like BT who acts like a twit and just dribbles garbage. At least Dwayne calls the game:

"He shakes, then he bakes"

"Can that be the firestarter, against the team that didn't want him? "

"Does Geelong have a safe word?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives - UP THE BLOODY COASTERS EDITION - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back