Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It shits me that we don't have guys like Long and Hewitt getting development at the moment due to injury.
I'm sure we all remember the constant excuses simpson would roll out, justifying the injuries. Clearly that sports scientist leading the area was pure junk and they were besties. The next coach and pyke for that matter, need to clear them all out. Justin Langer may need to get the boot at the same time.

Kelly lingers over this club like a curse.

Cost far too much to get him into the fold, and his time at the club has coincided with the most dire period of on field performances the club has ever seen.

Initially thought that the criticism he had copped in early days was unfair. When people have bagged our seniors for not driving standards in recent years, you have to wonder are they talking about his contributions?

Certainly can't be talking about a bloke like McGovern who appears to have finally moulded his body into one befitting an elite athlete. Or Barrass, two blokes that take a pummeling week in, week out with no thanks to our midfield.

Think it's probably time to start playing Kelly off the HFF, as he was for the BODEs. Get games into younger guys, and play guys like Chesser, Edwards and Trew in their natural positions, on ball.

Even if they're not guaranteed to make it, even if they're likely to be delisted. Just don't think continually going to a guy that all too frequently decides when he's going to play or not helps.

Because he's being hard-tagged every game.
Why not play him forward then for the rest of the year? He is only a first year, shouldn’t have to shoulder the midfield like this. Let Trew, Edwards, and Culley play in the guts, fighting for a contract. What do we lose, the current situation looks just as unwinnable?

Why not play him forward then for the rest of the year? He is only a first year, shouldn’t have to shoulder the midfield like this. Let Trew, Edwards, and Culley play in the guts, fighting for a contract. What do we lose, the current situation looks just as unwinnable?
Don't disagree but he might be even more frustrated if the ball never comes his way.

Because he's being hard-tagged every game.
WCE fans need to understand that a generational Vic talent will not be sacrificing his career to rebuild us. It's not Harleys fault if he leaves, but hopefully we get compensated. Hough, Ginbey, Long, Williams, Hewett, Allen, Maric, Hutchings are the types we need to grow. Chesser gives me major "bust" vibes.

Last edited:
WCE fans need to understand that a generational Vic talent will not be sacrificing his career to rebuild us. It's not his fault, hopefully we get compensated. Hough, Ginbey, Long, Williams, Allen, Maric, Hutchings are the types we need to grow. Chesser is another bust imo.
How's it 'sacrificing' his career though?

Premierships are bloody hard to win. Sure, he can go play in freezing old Melbourne, in front of smaller crowds than he currently is, just for the occasional 'marquee' game.

Then what? His highest earning potential would be with WCE, which is the biggest and most well-resourced club in the country.

Yeah, it's a mess currently but things can change very quickly.

Just look at Hawthorn's last couple of years + the start of this year, for instance.

People will say their list isn't exactly stacked with talent and they haven't had much in the way of high-end draft picks(DGB looks a bust also), yet they've got the right coach and now they have belief.

Things can turn around fairly quickly with the right people in place. Pick the right coach and who knows?

WCE fans need to understand that a generational Vic talent will not be sacrificing his career to rebuild us. It's not Harleys fault if he leaves, but hopefully we get compensated. Hough, Ginbey, Long, Williams, Allen, Maric, Hutchings are the types we need to grow. Chesser gives me major "bust" vibes.
Had chesser been taken in the 20s or 30s, he would have been delisted already. Wce fans are just hoping he comes good as he was the first rounder for that year. He hasn't shown anything since arriving - I'd go so far as to say that he hasn't shown any afl traits at all in any plays, let alone games. He's just a spud.

I won’t believe this club has a future until I see at least one player making life difficult for the guy scragging Harley all game.

Where’s the protection for the 18 year old who has some crab hanging off him? Stand in that guys way, bump him, scrag him in the tackle, make him know if he wants to take on our star he’s going to be made to hurt for it all game, we’re just a pack of absolute pussies.

Jamie Cripps has to be dropped for that performance today, looked like Dr No on an ice rink trying to handling the footy all day was he drunk?

I honestly couldn’t blame Harley for leaving for a team that didn’t burn him on the handball like Kelly does at every opportunity. If freo had any interest I’d send Kelly and likely our first to them packaged for their firsts and knobel in and instant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had chesser been taken in the 20s or 30s, he would have been delisted already. Wce fans are just hoping he comes good as he was the first rounder for that year. He hasn't shown anything since arriving - I'd go so far as to say that he hasn't shown any afl traits at all in any plays, let alone games. He's just a spud.

Bruh, wtf is this shit.

Yeh he gets low disposal tallies playing that weirdass wing role but he has shown he has good vision and clean hands alot of times that is up to the standard.

I'm not prepared to write him off yet as the whole team is dysfunctional atm. We should be backing in the youth wherever possible.

How many times this year have we used a tall as the sub? Are we actually just incredibly dumb?
we have made some weird sub choices

I would've thought at worst you'd pick a midfielder that can run out a qtr

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

you could chuck patrick cripps on the fat wing in our current side and he would still only get 8 touches

you could chuck patrick cripps on the fat wing in our current side and he would still only get 8 touches
Exactly.

You could chuck Chesser on the wing for Carlton and he'll get 25 and 8 marks

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's even more depressing about Kelly, other than what we paid, other than how our team has performed on field virtually the second he walked into the club......

Is that you look at his disposals today and from memory 75% of them are in the back half. Defense :thumbsdownemoji:

His biggest selling point, the 1 thing which drove him to a runner up brownlow and so much praise, was his ability to hit the scoreboard. That's his 1 wood and we've taken it at West Coast and totally smashed it. He's kicked 3 goals for the year FFS. We know how the bloke is in a stoppage, please for the love of god get him to the front half of the ground and playing forward more. He's just pissing everybody off running around in with his first gear looking cooked and burning his team with shit skills or poor decision making. Being asked to do too much.

Kelly's goal kicking tally, as if anyone needs to be reminded.

2024: WCE 3
2023: WCE 10
2022: WCE 6
2021: WCE 6
2020: WCE 5
2019: GEE 24
2018: GEE 24

I'd rather Chesser, Yeo, Reid, Trew, Ginbey, Hall all played at CBD's instead of him. If we lose it, fine.

At one point today i saw Ledwards playing deep forward. Ledwards FFS, the speed demon was struggling to get any sort of separation on his defender. Just silly. Ditch Ledwards, or better yet Cripps, and push Kelly forward.

What exactly is the worst thing that can happen here?

Positives
Hunt, Gibney, Trew (first half), Maric, Hough, HEdwards and JWilliams.
One closer to the end of season.
No Darling, Sheed or Gaff.
List management decisions becoming more and more evident.

Meh
Reid only coz he can lose focus.
Barrass was ok considering amount of easy ball coming in.
Schofield and MC had opportunity to send a strong message today. Didn’t get through.

Negatives
The rest
Rotham for Chesser. Strange choice of sub and others should have been subbed out before CC.
Lack of forward line pressure.
Our poor skills by hand and foot continue to hurt us.
Poor tackling.
Poor effort apart from a few exceptions.
Seniors generally piss poor in all aspects of game today.
Last week was a ‘sacked coach bounce’ - normal service resumed.
Application of HTB decision really confusing. Never easy but if umpires can’t do better the game is stuffed.
Piss poor forward line all day - JWilliams aside.
I have no confidence that required list management decisions will be made.
Pretty lousy day for WCE today.
Players appealing for frees instead of really remaining in the game.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How's it 'sacrificing' his career though?
We are at least 10 AFL players short of a competing list and the list will actually get worse in the next few years. It's time to accept that our next window is when the likes of Harley are late 20's and only then if we get everything right. Who was the kid today playing his 28th consecutive loss? We are asking draftees to lead our revival without ever knowing what success looks like.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back