Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant coach attempting to play the same gameplan as the departed coach, hoping for different results.

Still trying to play a pressing approach, without anywhere near the amount of pace up forward to execute it.

As stated by others, tackles inside attacking 50 were 23-0 in St Kilda's favour, which is the largest such discrepancy in that statistic that I can ever recall.

Dominated by the Saints in the middle in both ruck and contest. B.Williams is as effective as a sock puppet, Kelly had his typical underwhelming away day, Reid was dragged and bullied out of things and the rot flowed downhill from there.

67-35 inside 50s
28-11 scoring shots

Considering the above, it should have been well over a 100 point loss. Only kept below that due to some of the performances in defence and St Kilda's general incompetence at taking any opportunity.

Unfortunately, the team remains full of players that have no viable future at AFL level.

J.Williams should be persisted with for the remainder of the season.

The death knell for J.Schofield's chances of getting the top job permanently came when he ran out of ideas and tried to park the bus across goal, despite already being eight goals down.

Five more weeks of this holding pattern still to come.

Any preferences for replacements? Heard/know anything relevant?

23 to 0 tackles inside forward 50 is absolutely laughable.

Who is the forwards coach??? That kent has a bit to answer for.
I think it’s Matty knights. I see this a lot at AFL level where they get people who played AFL but in a different position, and then they get them to coach a line that they’ve never played in. That makes no sense to me.
You need to put someone in the position who is played well in that area of the ground, so they can impart their secrets to everybody who’s playing in that position.

Why does Hunt look like he's the only one trying? Genuinely sprinting while everyone else jogs around without intent. Had 9 turnovers but to be fair it looked like he was the only AFL player we had, he's so much better as a backman. Wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Jones down bacj
It’s bizarre isn’t it. Mercenary player from Melbourne of all teams, used to be considered soft etc. putting in more than anyone else. I can’t believe how lazy and defeated everyone else looked after HT. Like zero intent

I think it’s Matty knights. I see this a lot at AFL level where they get people who played AFL but in a different position, and then they get them to coach a line that they’ve never played in. That makes no sense to me.
You need to put someone in the position who is played well in that area of the ground, so they can impart their secrets to everybody who’s playing in that position.
Seems simple doesn't it.

Get matty Lloydand Steve johnson over west and get the fwd line going

Get bloody Corey enright and Darren glass backline

Get any of the numerous gun mids to look at our mids

etc

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see Rotham was the sub this week.

Why?

We couldn't possibly have a burst or impact type player be our sub, could we?

Yeah, it's daft playing a tall as the sub. If used tactically, the sub should give extra run when fatigue sets in.

It's particularly poor strategy. Can't believe it flies at a supposedly elite level.

Watched the game on replay had junior footy today to deal with.

Came into the game not expecting a lot due to a few excuses (not from the club). My own.

• Playing away on a 6 day break

• Played an emotional game last week so always the concern we could be flat.

• Our best 3 players this year were all out in Waterman, Yeo and McGovern. Could add Duggan as a significant loss too he’s one of our captains and whilst his ball use is poor he always brings effort.

Positives:

Ginbey was good in the first 3 quarters. Hopefully they settle him in the backline he looks far more comfortable there.

Hunt was our best and tried hard all day

Jack Williams kicked 3.

TB was under siege at times and played well particularly in the first half

Negatives

Lack of defensive effort. Saints out tackled us all day.

Our fwd pressure was non existent. It needs to be addressed. All good to have a game plan to play a territory game but if the forwards bring no defensive effort then it’s never going to work. It’s part attitude and also the wrong group. Allen & Williams both slow and don’t tackle. Ryan & Cripps aren’t as good as they were in 2018 and pick and choose when they want to bring effort. Culley and Hutch at this stage of there careers are just not good enough.

Could see signs within the playing group of frustration with one another. Can go one of two ways from here where they galvanise as a group or they fracture as players go into survival mode.

We are starting to smell like road kill once again after an okay first half to the year.

Yeah, it's daft playing a tall as the sub. If used tactically, the sub should give extra run when fatigue sets in.

It's particularly poor strategy. Can't believe it flies at a supposedly elite level.
OMG same when Maric was sub a few weeks ago.

We seem mentally challenged in every area

This team needs gutting, it's a pig that's feasted on mediocrity far too long and everyone's getting away with it.

I hope to never see jj play again, three mistakes from him cost direct goals.

Kelly? Were you on the field?
Billioms if you aren't going to win a hit out, at least contest around the ball.
Petch... drop him and pay him out already sick of him.
We have no leaders, Allen barely has a hair on his chest.

why the hell was he even dropped?

All these guys have had no continuity

Throw Maric in there too, he has been decent as a second year player. But for some reason cops the coaches wrath, same as Chesser, these are young guys that need games to get up to standard, not like the likes of JJ, Rotham, Witherden, Bwilliams, Gaff, Sheed, Darling etc those guys are more experienced players and don't have much improvement left and should only be playing if we are desperate for a position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jayden Hunt lead the team for the following statistics:
  • Kicks
  • Handballs
  • Metres Gained (723!)
  • Centre Clearances
  • Inside 50s
  • Score Involvements
  • Intercept Possessions.
  • Contested Possessions.
  • Uncontested Possessions.
  • Turnovers (d'oh)
2nd for marks, sprints and repeat sprints.
3rd in clearances
One of only 4 players to get a goal assist.

Not sure where the rest of the team were.

Maybe harsh given he’s coming back from a long injury layoff but I thought Oscar’s attitude was disappointing from the start today. We need a leader who can show some fire and lift his teammates up. I don’t think he’s a write-off as a captain by any means but the fact him and Duggan are in those roles really is a by-product of our terrible list demographics

It’s bizarre isn’t it. Mercenary player from Melbourne of all teams, used to be considered soft etc. putting in more than anyone else. I can’t believe how lazy and defeated everyone else looked after HT. Like zero intent
Liam Ryan had some pretty bad moments as far as intent was concerned, but he wasn't alone either I have to say and I am unsure exactly of the lead up to the plays so he could halve easily been gassed.

I don't tend to hold too much value in the below stats, but found it interesting that we lost on all of the following as a team.

Distance covered (-5km)
Distance covered at high speed (-4km)
Sprint efforts (-26)
Repeat Sprint Efforts (-11)

Hunt and Jones our only representatives in sprint efforts individually, which is pretty standard.

Could see signs within the playing group of frustration with one another. Can go one of two ways from here where they galvanise as a group or they fracture as players go into survival mode.

This was really noticeable with some of our non-existent forward pressure. There were a few butchered kicks inside 50 where our forwards just kinda stood there like they were thinking "Piss off, I'm not chasing after that trash." Not good, even though some of our skills were so bad wanting to throw a tanty is understandable.

Not fot the first time, i finish watching an Eagles game and one of my bigget takeaways, is How ****ing shit is Tim Kelly.

His stats always flatter him. Such a negative when he has the football, let work around stoppages. When he gets it in space, he wastes it. When he gets a clearance, is a dinky shit clearance that doens't benefit the side. Plays for himself.

Don't even get me started on Cripps, jesus christ.

+ Jack Williams. Beggers belief he was ever dropped in the first place. Every time he's played at AFL level i feel like he's held his own and not looked out of his depth.

+ Hunt tried, gets automatic points for that and not giving up. Wasted the footy and did frutstrating things at times, but effort is all fans want and he brought it in spades.

+ Maric was good. 19D, 5 marks and a goal. Didn't waste the ball either, unlike his senior teammates.

+ I suppose you called call Ginbeys game a positive. I got frustrated watching him tbh, he looked panicky and unsure of himself which isn't new, but the fact he's getting his hands on the footy and getting involved for better or worse can only be a good thing. 22 touches, 9 contested, 5 tackles is a good return.

+ Hedwards i thought was one of our better players. Solid game again from hiim.

- Cripps, Kelly, Allen... y'know, our leaders, pathetic. Ryan was also back to his normal self.

- Chesser resumed potato status. Did a couple good things, but his inability to stay involved in a game, either due to role or presence, is just concerning.

- Lack of impact from Ledwards, Culley, Hutchinson.

- Watching Reid get more and more frustrated each week is just depressing. Kelly really is the worst midfield leader of all time. Offers Harley zero protection, zero leadership or encouragement, then burns him over and over again whilst being deadset average himself.

- Jamaine Jones, once again, WHY IS HE STILL ON AN AFL LIST LET ALONE IN OUR STARTING TEAM. Ditto Petrucelle.

- Bailey Williams in the ruck. Eeeeewwww. Brother eewwww. What is that brothaaa. Eeeeewwwww.
I am dead set certain that we should trade Kelly to Freo. He is that 3/4 th mid on the outside that only looks good when the read grunt work is done by the genuine midfielders.

At the cats he had danger, Ablett, Selwood, Duncan dishing the ball out to him. When we got him the theory was that nicnat, sheuy, Yeo, redden, Sheed would serve the same roles. Then all our mids got injured and he has been smashed to pillar and post trying to play those roles.

He could go to freo with sarong, Brayshaw etc and be the final link in the chain and rack up 30 and kick 3 like he used to. Freo would have to consider it.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ledwards is as vanilla as they come. Sure he looks good in tight at times but he lacks speed as an outsider and isn’t big or strong to play inside. Skills are also trash. I haven’t been this harsh on him till recently but never understood why he was so liked by mc.
I don't understand how we have so few players on the list with good footskills.

Edwards is probably ideally dishing out handballs to others and moving through traffic, so he's not really in his best spot but nor is he good enough to push the others out.

So we have him playing outside, but he's not good at it.

If I try and think of good kicks (capable of cutting a team up) in our team I can only say: Ryan, Maric, Gov and Reid. Even then they can be hit and miss with when they hit them.

Then we have some guys like Duggan and Yeo who are capable of really good long balls. Cripps is actually a good kick to people leading up at him, there's not many others I'd say that standout.

We need someone with creativity and execution off the HBF or on a wing.

Ledwards is as vanilla as they come. Sure he looks good in tight at times but he lacks speed as an outsider and isn’t big or strong to play inside. Skills are also trash. I haven’t been this harsh on him till recently but never understood why he was so liked by mc.
I never thought he was any good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back