Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

They also need to ban our coaches from using the term 'need to get better' every single presser.

We've heard it for around 2 years now and it really hasn't been anything but empty words.

There are several staff members that have been well below par for years but they're still on the books. Would be good to see the back of them also. Standards are nowhere at this once-great organisation.

They also need to ban our coaches from using the term 'need to get better' every single presser.

We've heard it for around 2 years now and it really hasn't been anything but empty words.

There are several staff members that have been well below par for years but they're still on the books. Would be good to see the back of them also. Standards are nowhere at this once-great organisation.
Learning
On a journey
Need to get better

It’s literally a game of football and at its core you are winning hard ball and kicking goals to win - what do mid 20s professional footballers need to learn?

POS - 5 games left, 2 back to back home games. 1 derby. 3 top 8 teams.
Yeo, Gov, Waterman, Duggan out. (key players across all lines)
* Only 5 games to go before we find a new coach, trim our list, hit the draft, another preseason with arguably a better, fitter list, and a new game plan.

NEG - Too many.

Who knows, they might regroup and bounce back in the derby, show some intensity (and forward tackles). Freo will be on a vengeful mission.
I wasn't expecting much with those outs, a 6 day break and away game. But wanted to see some green shoots, was slim pickin's today!

Not expecting much from next 5 weeks either, but hope to see fight/synergy/bonding amongst the youth; not just a group who look like they can't wait for it to be over, as they slowly and painfully stumble towards the end and fall in a heap, to symbolise another shambolic season. Go out with a fight guys please!

Last edited:
honestly at this stage just chuck Gaff, Sheed, and Darling back in the side

let our young players play well in the WAFL in their actual positions

Why not play him forward then for the rest of the year? He is only a first year, shouldn’t have to shoulder the midfield like this. Let Trew, Edwards, and Culley play in the guts, fighting for a contract. What do we lose, the current situation looks just as unwinnable?
He has to learn to beat the tag at some stage. Why hide him out of position.

He still had 19 touches today

why he wearing it like that

GS57JsebIAUPjbu

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how we have so few players on the list with good footskills.

Edwards is probably ideally dishing out handballs to others and moving through traffic, so he's not really in his best spot but nor is he good enough to push the others out.

So we have him playing outside, but he's not good at it.

If I try and think of good kicks (capable of cutting a team up) in our team I can only say: Ryan, Maric, Gov and Reid. Even then they can be hit and miss with when they hit them.

Then we have some guys like Duggan and Yeo who are capable of really good long balls. Cripps is actually a good kick to people leading up at him, there's not many others I'd say that standout.

We need someone with creativity and execution off the HBF or on a wing.

It’s actually not hard to understand… I watched the eagles train on Tuesday and saw Tom Cole twice in the same drill miss a leading forward no more than 20 metres away by 5 metres each time… no coach commented even though one was in the middle of the drill, no yelling, no comment from any team mate, no penalty push ups for missing targets, nothing. The player himself did let even show emotion from missing the target…. They are just allowed to get away with it and float along and nothing gets said… heaven help a coach who publicly said bring the mouth guards Monday like Mitchell did with our group… it will be counselling sessions and aflpa complaints in no time if someone said a nasty word to any of them..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing we're awesome at is throw away lines after a loss.

"that's on us, we have to own that" etc

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Learning
On a journey
Need to get better

It’s literally a game of football and at its core you are winning hard ball and kicking goals to win - what do mid 20s professional footballers need to learn?
Wtf else do you expect them to say?

Theyve been saying "its not good enough" too.

Do you want them to say "we are all dogshit and half the squad/coaching staff needs to be delisted or fired"?

Today was diabolical on an extreme amount of levels, even more then I could ever believe this once proud club could get to. And we have already been through an absolute steaming pile of shit the size of mount everest for the last 3 years.

Luke Edwards: This guy runs slower than a dial-up connection in the 90s. He can't hit a barndoor. He can't accumulate. I've seen enough of him, but the coaches haven't clearly. Delist.

Jai Culley: Another player stuck in treacle. The bloke has the turning circle of a truck. Clearly cannot translate his WAFL game in the seniors. The coaches utterly refuse to play him in any position of strength. 7 touches today and looked as disinterested as Gerard Whately watching one of our games.

Jack Petrucelle: Can't impact, plays dumb footy. Always injured. Just **** him off already. 9 touches in a heartless performance. And these are his standard. A nothing footballer

Rotham: Everyone has summarised him enough. Absolute cannon fodder.

Bailey Williams: At the end of 2022, Bailey was one player I had belief in. He finished the year really well against Geelong and I knew he had it in him to take his game further. In 2023 Williams showed heart and even though he couldnt kick for shit, always battled manfully in his position. 2024 Bailey is putrid. Concrete hands, doesn't contest. Loses one on ones consistently. His opposing ruck always influencing the game due to his general ineptness. Seeing him drop mark after mark today and miss that set shot was such a let down. I'm so disappointed in him and where he has gone this season. Virtually no trade value, but he epitomises so much wrong with this club.

Jamie Cripps: Has always been a selfish, fumbly player, but still did the team things by pressuring his opponenets. WTAF happened to this guy? Can't chase, can't kick, slow to react. The missed score opportunities today for the team were a direct result of his general inability to football. A terrible game from him. The cliff is looming large.

Tom Cole: Yes he racked up 21 touches today, but how often does this guy lose to his opponent? Always outmarked, always out positioned. Runs around in circles chasing his own tail. Is he really the best we have here?

Tim Kelly: Boy oh boy he has been nothing short of a disappointment since joining the club. Can't kick, always chooses the wrong option. Fumbles the ball. The weak link in a chain of attack. Played for frees rather than playing to the whistle. Burns Reid for shitty sideways kick when Reid wanted to take the game on. A piss poor attitude, a piss poor effort, no heart. The opposite to King Midas, everything he touches turns to shit.

1. Games like this is why I'm salty at Bailey Williams and all the Flynn haters can seriously get their eyes checked.

Yeah there's a few of you bagging Flynn. Sure his form isn't great. But when your a ****ing ruckman you ruck. I don't give a shit if you can mark and are useful around the game when the fundamental role is to ruck!

Too many times Bailey Williams gets beaten, if he doesnt get beaten picks it up and bombs it long, or picks the ball up instead of allowing a mid to do their work.

2. But we should trade Waterman because Oscar is better. Get in the bin. I think it's very apparent when the ball is on the ground I'd take Waterman and I'd take Waterman for his pressure and workrate. I'd take all those reasons over Oscar long reach. Keep downvoting me whenever I reply to Waterman traders with trade Oscar instead (those downvotes will lessen). I rather we keep both.

3. Harley game while his disposals were not as flash he's improving in other aspects he needs to improve in. This is evident by his better work rate resulting in increased possesion count. This game I liked how he improved outside game.

4. The amount of times players held the ball too long and getting caught holding the ball was very apparent. Your not Harley don't try to do what he does because it's not going to come off as often. That's directed to small outside players.

5. Jack Williams wow what have we uncovered with our already hoarded stacked fwds. His marking is tall fwd quality.

6. Ginbey played a better game. If we are done with Ginbey in mid then quite frankly we are ****ed in terms of mid development. He should have been persisted mid. Refer to melb game. We may won the battle with Ginbey HBF but we lost the war

7. Jai Culley. He's not a fwd bung hole. From one game in the mid he seems rather slow. Persist him as a mid or don't bother with him.

8. Petch your done. Your a very poor man's mid Liam Ryan. Brockman and petch are duking it for that spot but I think we don't need that spot.

It’s actually not hard to understand… I watched the eagles train on Tuesday and saw Tom Cole twice in the same drill miss a leading forward no more than 20 metres away by 5 metres each time… no coach commented even though one was in the middle of the drill, no yelling, no comment from any team mate, no penalty push ups for missing targets, nothing. The player himself did let even show emotion from missing the target…. They are just allowed to get away with it and float along and nothing gets said… heaven help a coach who publicly said bring the mouth guards Monday like Mitchell did with our group… it will be counselling sessions and aflpa complaints in no time if someone said a nasty word to any of them..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Why am I not surprised that Tom Cole missed multiple targets by foot…

Wtf else do you expect them to say?

Theyve been saying "its not good enough" too.

Do you want them to say "we are all dogshit and half the squad/coaching staff needs to be delisted or fired"?
Yeah you want him to smash the headphones and take a crap on the floor in anger

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Booting Jamie Cripps from the side permanently would be a start to fixing that
He was shit, but he is 2nd for the season at the Eagles behind Darling for tackles inside 50.

Darling has been number 1 and Cripps number two for 2024, 2023, 2022 and 2019. Those same two also lead in 2020 and 2021 but with Cripps as the number 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back