Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Would a dunce squeeze out 7 years of $$$ from a club based on no success whatsoever?

Almost have to admire him. He must have some smarts

He's the Mackay of coaching. Long tenure, staunch internal support, no achievement
He's street smart, capable of identifying an easy mark. He recognised immediately we were a club with very low expectations and desperate to commit to someone.

He's street smart, capable of identifying an easy mark. He recognised immediately we were a club with very low expectations and desperate to commit to someone.
Says more about our club management than Nicks... which became obvious when they unnecessarily extended him early.

All the classic signs of reacting to a con are there as well

Doubling down because you dont want to admit you have made an error of judgement

Would a dunce squeeze out 7 years of $$$ from a club based on no success whatsoever?

Absolutely. The more you get out in the world, the more you realize that there are plenty of Dunce's working high paid jobs for long stints.

Almost have to admire him. He must have some smarts

I feel like Frank Grimes aka "Grimey".

He's the Mackay of coaching. Long tenure, staunch internal support, no achievement

Terrible comparison.

Mackay was a role player that was best 22 in 6 finals sides and played in a grand final and a prelim.

Nicks is the head coach - the man with one of the most important positions at the Adelaide Football Club and the man in charge of how we play football. Our success is directly linked to his ability to coach.

Mackay was a role player that was best 22 in 6 finals sides and played in a grand final and a prelim.

Nicks is the head coach - the man with one of the most important positions at the Adelaide Football Club and the man in charge of how we play football. Our success is directly linked to his ability to coach.
Wonder if Mackay was the prototype for Hamish's recruiting - 100% effort and application, just didn't get the ball much and when he did, you wished he hadn't.

Thought bubble...
A consequence of green tobacco? Other? :confusedv1: :sneaky:
Is Nicks the guy?
No.
We criticise him for defensive tactics, poor selections, needing his hand held by a new senior assistant etc.
Do Coaches like Chris Scott/McRae, good Coaches, need their hand held by a Senior assistant?
Scott --- Flag in his first year. NO fluke, because he's Coached them to Finals in 11/13 seasons, 67.7%W record, and another Flag in 2022 to boot. Scott is the antithesis of Nicks.
Nicks might've needed better help than he was given in 2020, but now it'd just be an admission that he's not up to it.
But is he what we need? The figurehead. Can he be our Kenny, on the sidelines, driving the culture, positive vibes, fronting the media. The macro.
With the nitty gritty of the coaching/selection being left largely to the Rahillys of the coaching world. The micro.

A beefed up brainstrust
Sitting underneath the cultural architect
Allowing the coaches to coach, space to do what they do
Nicks' role more man management of the coaching staff, akin to a soccer manager
Rahilly was a decent one. Little wonder he left.
If Nicks is managing the 'work' of VB and Burns (I think Hombsch is ok) then he's failing there.

Nicks is not "the guy". He's not what we need --- with that losing record, how could he be, seriously?

or (ii) whether he was oblivious to Rankine's presence and Rankine 'picked him off'?
Sorry for late comment; I'm 4 pages and days behind.

It's (ii).
While jogging toward Rankine, Starcevich was looking over his right shoulder at the ball up and Rankine could see he was unaware.
It looked like a retaliation to me, more than a random pick-off. Starcevich had been paying close attention to Rankine who took his opportunity to flatten him.
The head contact was accidental, but that doesn't matter.

If they are going to ban incidental head contact why don’t they get rid of high marks?
With respect, Froggy, high marks are on the ball, a part of the play.
Rankine's hit was well away from the play.

Problem is :think: ... let's say the ball was between Rankine and Starcevich.
Rankine chose to bump, not tackle (eg the MacAdam bump which resulted in no injury), so Rankine's gone anyway. Off the ball made it seem worse imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, there and there abouts.
Yes, you say that often, but it's just not a description of where the Crows are. Is it? :confusedv1:
18th, 15th, 14th, all bottom 5.

10th, meh, ok, "thereabouts". That's one whole year of "thereabouts" :expressionless:.

5 years without Finals is neither here nor there. It's an extremely poor record.

With respect, Froggy, high marks are on the ball, a part of the play.
Rankine's hit was well away from the play.

Problem is :think: ... let's say the ball was between Rankine and Starcevich.
Rankine chose to bump, not tackle (eg the MacAdam bump which resulted in no injury), so Rankine's gone anyway. Off the ball made it seem worse imo.
Ok picture the same incident with the ball there. Still gets the same result.

Ok picture the same incident with the ball there. Still gets the same result.
Yep.
But my point had to do with your high-marking hypothetical..

Funny thing --- I've noticed Moore cannon into people (bent knee in side/back) in marking contests. I think Petracca was one of them (lacerated spleen, broken ribs).
NO report; accidental contact (but it happens often enough for me to think it's not 'accidental').

Yep.

Funny thing --- I've noticed Moore cannon into people (bent knee in side/back) in marking contests. I think Petracca was one of them (lacerated spleen, broken ribs).
NO report; accidental contact (but it happens often enough for me to think it's not 'accidental').
That’s what I’m saying high mark vs that incident with the ball in play, same outcome both with the ball in play, one gets suspended, one doesn’t even get looked at.

Single handedly? There’s a coaching panel. All must share the blame. Besides which, they were trying to fix a weakness from last year (poor defence) which was a good thing, but in so doing, (combined with Tex’s drop in form, TT injury) buggered up our attack. Nicks knows the premiership team ultimately has the best defence, and he was trying to address this. Anyways, it’s a moot point. The Club had decided to extend him but was holding off the announcement. The timing of it was horrendous. Either do it before the season starts, or wait until the bye. The timing made absolutely no sense whatsoever. But here we are. There won’t be a change of coach unless something drastic (like lose every game from here on in by 60+ points happens IMO). And given our season of mostly close losses, that’s not likely. Like I said, there and there abouts.
Wouldn’t be a shock to see the crows win 5 out of 7 from here.

You’re allowed to bump.
It's not a football action if it's off the ball (which Rankine's was).

** The bump is still legal in these circumstances, but woe be unto anyone who makes contact with their opponent's head while bumping. The Tribunal guidelines specifically state that head clashes while bumping are foreseeable, and thus attract the full penalty.

Yep.

I think (hope) it’s just the way Moore plays rather than intentional but either way he has, or should have, a duty of care not to maim his opponent so if he has morals he should change his technique

Yes, you say that often, but it's just not a description of where the Crows are. Is it? :confusedv1:
18th, 15th, 14th, all bottom 5.

10th, meh, ok, "thereabouts". That's one whole year of "thereabouts" :expressionless:.

5 years without Finals is neither here nor there. It's an extremely poor record.
It’s been a re-build, or have you conveniently forgotten that fact? Far out.

It’s been a re-build, or have you conveniently forgotten that fact? Far out.
Far out?
I didn't give you any :poov1:.
I'm happy to agree to disagree, but spare me the sarcasm, please; save yours for the posters who do make snide remarks at you.

Jenny, your often-repeated claim that the Crows have been "there and thereabouts" is not supported by the facts:
--- of their W/L record, nor
--- their Ladder position.
As for the "rebuild", it was Nicks who took us from 11th to 18th, but I've expressed sympathy/leeway for 2020 and 2021, previously. I don't see 15th==>14th==>10th and back to 15th as anything to 'crow' about.

Nicks' W-L-D record is the third-worst of any AFL Coach, ever. Not just with the Crows. Any Coach, EVER, and he's ours :sadv1: :cryv1:.

Also, have a look at the way the Crows play :poov1:. Look at the pattern of get behind, fight back, lose.
Their 2nd quarter vs. GWS was a joy to watch until Nicks put the brakes on after which GWS kicked the next 5 goals. Good one, Nicksy. The boys get us ahead and you slowed us down again, as in many games before.

How many years of failure are you going to give Nicks, accepting failure as ok because it's a "rebuild"?

Re: tonight's game, I'll watch it and hope that we win. I always want us to win.
Then the reality of 2020-2024 will sink in. I'll see that the rest of the season is lost and that we'll have to wait yet another year for Nicks to come good, miraculously, somehow. If ever.
The negatives from the Nicks years far outweigh the positives; I've had enough of him.

Last edited:

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back