Preview R18: Changes vs. St. Kilda

Who do you think will replace Rankine in the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks fighting for his life… 🤣

He was signed on for two years not two months ago.
Results are results. Other coaches have been sacked after being signed on the same year (we've even done it). But really its about the bigger picture for next year. Every win for him this year gives him more latitude next year.

And honestly I think if we lose enough games (and by enough), or the crowd drop off is sustained, we may pull the trigger this year.

Just had a look at the Rankine hit. Didn't see the game. But on every replay I saw he did not hit him in the head. Is there one I am missing?

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The one where Starcevich was concussed and Rankine was bleeding from the head.

He hit him in the chest but momentum meant they bumped heads.

Results are results. Other coaches have been sacked after being signed on the same year (we've even done it). But really its about the bigger picture for next year. Every win for him this year gives him more latitude next year.

And honestly I think if we lose enough games (and by enough), or the crowd drop off is sustained, we may pull the trigger this year.
Well the reality is we are likely to finish somewhere between 14th and 15th, I'm far from convinced finishing 16th by losing everything from here would have a different outcome in regards to Nicks future than 14th or 15th. I don't want to see us end up like Nth Melb and spending so long on the bottom they can't see a way back up.

Also, even if he hadn't hit him in the head, the bump caused Starcevich's head to slam into the ground. That can also be grounds for suspension.

As I said I didn't see the game. So I only got what kingy said and the 2 second replay.

Yeah they suspended Douglass for a bump all because Ward hit his head on the ground.

4 is probably about right the more I am hearing of it. It was dumb. No argument from me. There will be no getting him off as it was off the play. Just take it and run.

Its a nothing year anyway for us where we have nothing to gain by winning over the next few weeks. Put a heap of games into young players. Bring in someone like an Edwards or Ryan. Curtin should get another go.

Well the reality is we are likely to finish somewhere between 14th and 15th, I'm far from convinced finishing 16th by losing everything from here would have a different outcome in regards to Nicks future than 14th or 15th. I don't want to see us end up like Nth Melb and spending so long on the bottom they can't see a way back up.
Agree 15th or 14th likely.
But finishing 15th and getting pumped by teams is different than finishing 14th with some 'honourable' losses and a couple of uninspiring wins. One might lead to a change at the top.

So Nicks will be picking for the latter option - rather than just focusing on development for 2025 and communicating that to the fans.

4 is probably about right the more I am hearing of it. It was dumb. No argument from me. There will be no getting him off as it was off the play. Just take it and run.
Dumb is right. Rankine was frustrated, and made a bad decision. It's something we've seen a fair bit from our side, to be honest. Later in the match at a crucial moment, Murphy was pissed off because a decision wasn't paid, and complained to the umpire. Then when he (of course) didn't get his way, he reacted by bumping his opponent after their disposal, leading to a free kick 2m out from goal (which fortunately got sprayed into the crowd, lol). Not exactly what you want from one of our supposed leaders.

That kind of thing seems to happen to us a lot. Rachele earlier this year is another example.

As a club, we need to either find a way for teammates to help players out when things are going against them, or else just have a "no reacting in anger" policy.

A showdown win will definetley save him. If we lose that and by a fair amount I think Nicks will be fighting to keep the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really concerned about Thilly. I know it’s early but he’s not moving well at all. Which makes sense given how bad his injury reportedly was. Don’t think rushing him back should be a priority.

If we are keeping Nicks, then it’s an absolute must that Burns, VB and Godden go. They clearly don’t click as a unit.
True... but unfortunately we are not going to be successful under Nicks. Just delaying the inevitable.

Only way we are making finals is if we find a talented assistant who effectively becomes head coach.

Really concerned about Thilly. I know it’s early but he’s not moving well at all. Which makes sense given how bad his injury reportedly was. Don’t think rushing him back should be a priority.
So long as he is good to go for next year, this year only matters in terms of getting him ready the best way possible.

Should just put him and Pedlar on ice for the rest of the year. Curtin too if his knee is still causing issues.

Ryan should come in this week with Murphy, Smith or Laird as sub.

Ryan in would allow Hinge (if not injured or Nax) to play midfield minutes. Given the Saints forward line this week is when Laird should play HB and Dowling and Taylor should play a full game on ball

We have trouble replacing one let alone three. Cant see wholesale changes.

It'd be peak AFC to move Burns on, replace with Sloane and bring in Godden as senior assistant.

beefed up the coaching panel to help Nicksy on gameday and brought a crowd favourite into the box, there'd be some folk on here with strides looking like an Iced Vovo.

I'm guessing it'd be a straight swap out of Burns and Monty but we seriously need to move VB on 5 seasons and he is still going back to the Laird well, if he can't cut the cord then we need to cut him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R18: Changes vs. St. Kilda

Back