Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: Performance after quarter time. After the youngest player there Phillipou looked to dominate, Soligo, Dowling and Taylor decided not to let him show them up and really stepped up themselves to get a lot more ball.

Rachele's only centre bounce appearance when soligo rested forward, win the ball, turned out over to the half back but got the ball back and drove it forward for an important 3rd quarter goal. That showed me he can be that player.

Thilthorpe's return, gee we missed him this year. And Bonds debut, solid with a few nice plays.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

At, or near half time, Laird had 14 touches, 9 turnovers and 3 free kicks against. He was having a stinker… but to be fair, his last half in the wet was excellent. Ended up with 31 touches, 12 turnovers, 7 clearances, 13 tackles.

He was one of the main reasons why we were dominant in the last half.
Fair enough, well said :thumbsupv1: .

I think my season disenchantment with Laird had me looking for more bombs-awaaaay stuff.
31 touches, 12 turnovers, 7 clearances, 13 tackles :oops: is a very good game, first half notwithstanding.

Last edited:
You take things to literally. Most of the AFL media is just filling space. Means nothing what he says in the media around selection and development.
And most interesting with this playing the kids - is that it is the “kids” he inherited, ones we invested a bucket load of draft capital in a super draft that are the ones missing out.

Everyone of the old boys is playing - because we only have 3 left with Sloane retired and Crouch injured

Its McHenry, Jones and Schoenberg that have made way (beside injured players Milera, Hinge, Worrell, Pedlar) - and it was incumbent on the coach to give them as many chances as he could

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I take the AFL media too literally, lol. He’s asked about Taylor, he could have said anything, he chose to say he stuff to work on to defend his non-selection. We have an injury and he gets a late call up, plays his first 2 games as sub only. So without that injury would Taylor still not be ready?

The mental gymnastics some of you come up with is bloody hilarious.

He’s given a heap of opportunity to Jones and McHenry so don’t know what you’re talking about there. Jones only made way because of injury, see Taylor.

Good:
Plenty of promising signs going forward. Bond completely shut Higgins out of the game and was composed with ball in hand.

Taylor looked lively

Cook played his best game for us
A breakout game for Brayden.

Playing 80% ToG, half on the wing and half as a forward, he racked up 6 kicks and 6 handballs at 67% efficiency. He also contributed 2 of the 109 team tackles and 5 of the teams 162 contested possessions.

Great first game by Bond (why have so many posters wanted to delist him? Dowling developing well, Nankervis so composed and my boy Zac playing exactly as I have predicted for the last year.

I take the AFL media too literally, lol. He’s asked about Taylor, he could have said anything, he chose to say he stuff to work on to defend his non-selection. We have an injury and he gets a late call up, plays his first 2 games as sub only. So without that injury would Taylor still not be ready?

The mental gymnastics some of you come up with is bloody hilarious.

He’s given a heap of opportunity to Jones and McHenry so don’t know what you’re talking about there. Jones only made way because of injury, see Taylor.

Curtin got a game on the back of media selection pressure and subsequently subbed as soon as Nicks got the chance....twice. Ive never seen such disrespect.

Dowling only got a game on the back of Crouch long term injury

Taylor in for Jones injury.

Bond only got a game because of hinge.

Injury is the common denominator.

Nicks seldoms drops players for poor form. Thats been a constant.

Im not fed any ****ing thing. Just sick of the herd mentality in here. Nicks has made some monumental mistakes, never said he didnt. I’d prefer Buckley as coach going forward. But the way you lot carry on is ridiculous. You all think you know better, but the fact is, you don’t have a clue. You harp on every tiny little thing as if it’s the end of the world. Injuries happened, kids got played, kids do well so end up playing some more. Nicks made mistakes, learns from them and hopefully will be better in the future.

You can't have a rant that people don't know what's going on and are commenting anyway, and then make statements like 'Nicks learns from his mistakes'.

At least people who think we make selection mistakes have evidence behind them.

Or maybe he's played them at the right time, and not rushed them in and ruined their careers? He might have learned something from McAsey.

Playing AFL a month earlier would have ruined Taylors entire career!!!!!!!

Thank god Nicks saved him from that!

he's played them at the right time, and not rushed them in and ruined their careers? He might have learned something from McAsey.
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints still have a few simple games to play - every chance to finish above us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Saints get to play West Coast and Richmond, both at Marvel. Surely they win those.

We're a realistic chance not to win again although we probably snag one more

Saints get to play West Coast and Richmond, both at Marvel. Surely they win those.

The Showdown and Hawks are is 50/50, and we might pinch a win against the Dogs if the Hyde version turns up.

We won't win any of our away games, especially against two sides we haven't beaten under Nicks and one we haven't beaten away in over 20 years.

Bulldogs suck at AO, doubt we drop that. Hawks at AO and Showdown the other two possible wins. 8.5 or 9.5 wins is where I see us ending up and still don't think we get any higher than 14th.

I really wish someone at the club would publicly call out the horrendous pathetic umpiring we've copped, particularly in last few weeks.

Chris Scott calls it out all the time.

Sick of the club being weak in this regard.
The club should be refusing Nichols & Williamson for Crows games given they can't hide their bias.

The Showdown and Hawks are is 50/50, and we might pinch a win against the Dogs if the Hyde version turns up.

We won't win any of our away games, especially against two sides we haven't beaten under Nicks and one we haven't beaten away in over 20 years.

Any team from here with anything to play for shouldn't be losing to us.... Showdown I think may be our only other win just purely as we will treat it like our grand final as nothing else to play for.

Can all the club sucks that told me these guys weren't capable of AFL explain this though
Well, I doubt I can dumb it down enough for you to be able to understand, but here goes....

So, one reason why we won last night was we were playing St Kilda. They're down the bottom of the ladder, with us, for a reason. The opposition was weaker, that helps.

Two, do you really think playing Dowling, Bond and Taylor last night was what won it for us?? If so that is some next level no-idea-ness if I've ever seen it. The reason we won is because the guys other than the real inexperienced ones and the real experienced ones (Laird/Tex/Smith) understand our gameplan and playing AFL better. Its because of a long list, Fog, Berg, Michalanny, Soligo, Keays, Rachele, Berry, Murray, Sholl and even Obrien and Dawson can do what we need them to do to get the win. We've been trying to work on getting a roster of this group that's big enough that if we lose several of them like Hinge, Hamill, Jones, Milera, Worrell and yes, even McHenry, we have enough of them that can come in and know what to do. We look like we are nearly to that stage.

Three, you interpret it as us saying they're not ready. None of us knows for sure, since, like with Bond its hard to say what their roles are and what they've been set to do at SANFL level. All the regular SANFL and pre-season watchers can do is report how they went and compare it to a few indicators, what that player has done at their best, what you would expect them to be able to do and how other guys playing similar positions have gone before we brought them in in the past. Zac Taylor watchers would probably say he was bought in, at most, 5 games too late, I would say perhaps 2. He was brought in almost as soon as he looked like being able to match it at the level. Dowling was brought in 5-10 games late. Worrell can probably complain that he might have been as many as 20 games late but you have to understand that the coaches are trying to balance getting new players in with having enough guys on the park that know what to do that we can still be competitive and have some semblance of a gameplan. Its a balancing act. Its easy for you from the cheap seats. We've quoted to you a million times about GC and GWS having to play young players all the time and its still netted them a grand total of zippo premierships between them. We've also told you about Melb and Carlton in their respective doldrum eras and how playing the kids can turn into perenially never having any success.

Well, I doubt I can dumb it down enough for you to be able to understand, but here goes....

So, one reason why we won last night was we were playing St Kilda. They're down the bottom of the ladder, with us, for a reason. The opposition was weaker, that helps.

Two, do you really think playing Dowling, Bond and Taylor last night was what won it for us?? If so that is some next level no-idea-ness if I've ever seen it. The reason we won is because the guys other than the real inexperienced ones and the real experienced ones (Laird/Tex/Smith) understand our gameplan and playing AFL better. Its because of a long list, Fog, Berg, Michalanny, Soligo, Keays, Rachele, Berry, Murray, Sholl and even Obrien and Dawson can do what we need them to do to get the win. We've been trying to work on getting a roster of this group that's big enough that if we lose several of them like Hinge, Hamill, Jones, Milera, Worrell and yes, even McHenry, we have enough of them that can come in and know what to do. We look like we are nearly to that stage.

Three, you interpret it as us saying they're not ready. None of us knows for sure, since, like with Bond its hard to say what their roles are and what they've been set to do at SANFL level. All the regular SANFL and pre-season watchers can do is report how they went and compare it to a few indicators, what that player has done at their best, what you would expect them to be able to do and how other guys playing similar positions have gone before we brought them in in the past. Zac Taylor watchers would probably say he was bought in, at most, 5 games too late, I would say perhaps 2. He was brought in almost as soon as he looked like being able to match it at the level. Dowling was brought in 5-10 games late. Worrell can probably complain that he might have been as many as 20 games late but you have to understand that the coaches are trying to balance getting new players in with having enough guys on the park that know what to do that we can still be competitive and have some semblance of a gameplan. Its a balancing act. Its easy for you from the cheap seats. We've quoted to you a million times about GC and GWS having to play young players all the time and its still netted them a grand total of zippo premierships between them. We've also told you about Melb and Carlton in their respective doldrum eras and how playing the kids can turn into perenially never having any success.

I think you'll find that you've never struggled with being dumb enough.

There is absolutely nothing in this excessively long ramble that approaches a point deserving response. You can't even get to the fourth paragraph without admitting that players could have played earlier.

I like though, that your view is that we shouldn't follow methods from clubs (that are better than us) that haven't won premierships. We should maintain our own method. That hasn't won premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back