Autopsy Roast Toast & Changes for Gold Coast

Top 5 v Hawks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

His good players. So that's Lynch, Baker who wasn't there today, and...who else was missing from our best team? Tom Brown, Maurice Jnr maybe. Lots of injuries to key players earlier in the year but most of them are back now. We can't use that as an excuse for today's pathetic "effort".
Lefau for sure.

It's literally the second last game of a season which has been fully over for 3 months where almost every player has been injured at one point or another. You honestly can not expect them to put in the same effort as a team trying g to lock in a finals spot.

Also missing players bring more than just their individual performances and impact. We do not have a forward line which changes how our entire team plays.
For example, the midfield has no targets going inside 50 which makes them second guess and are unsure of how to move the move forward which leads to making mistakes.
Lets say Nank taps it down Tarantos throat who breaks out of the pack and streams forward and.......what. Who's he going to kick it to?
Having a target like Lynch + Lefau + Maurice makes the entire team better. We actually have targets which means you can play more confidently.

Through injury, age, changing game plan we've had an awful year and it means no one can play to their potential. Every player, including guys that have been good for a decade, didn't suddenly become shit. A few additions can make the entire team much better due to being able to play confidently. By the time we've had those injured guys start to come back, our confidence has been shot and our year already over. It's hard to get them to turn it around by the mn

As opposed to the sheer arrogance and 'every decision we make is the right one or gold' narrative that dominated these here threads?
If you want to rest on your laurels, this board probably ain't for you.
We have jumped from clusterf*** to custerf*** for the last three years and the rank and fil shouldn't tolerate that.
Yes, we were never going to win three more or even one more, but when nearly every decision is poo, you don't sit back and give it a pass mark.
We are rock bottom, but we put ourselvs there.
At least the rock bottom wshould eliminate the arrogance and entitlement on here.
Thanks captain hindsight. No one's saying every decision was the right one, people are saying AT THE TIME, it was. Hopper hasn't worked out, but you absolutely take that risk at that time every time.

You have to take risks. They don't always pay off. That's life and that's footy. Your attitude would've had us blow it up in 2016 and miss an entire dynasty

Thanks captain hindsight. No one's saying every decision was the right one, people are saying AT THE TIME, it was. Hopper hasn't worked out, but you absolutely take that risk at that time every time.

You have to take risks. They don't always pay off. That's life and that's footy. Your attitude would've had us blow it up in 2016 and miss an entire dynasty
No you don't take risks on average commodities.
And it wasn't hindsight.
We'd done year on year of premiership players going on too long, so what did we do?
Think Cotchin, Riewoldt, Grimes and Prestia were all still 2017 or2019 level.
We'd watched Edwards become an absolute liabilty for two years .. but people here fell for Brereton's 'he could play til he's 36'.
We took the path of no hard decisions annd no decisions at all to glorify premiership players.
For future reference, f*** of Short, McIntosh, Pickett, Graham who haven';t struck a blow for two or three years.
I bet most are stil there stinking it up next year.
Hindsight 🤣🤣🤣

My thoughts from going today.

Blight is miles off. I hope we don’t offer him a contract. He ran around like a headless chook, miles off his opponents, his lack of positioning made it much harder on everyone else.

Miller, is liability. Nowhere near blight levels of stupid, but he’s got no idea of what he’s doing.

We can’t mark our undies. Our lack of marking power, makes it hard for our backs to move the ball. No one offers any aerial threat so our opponents can just sag off and make our life hard.

Nankervis isn’t a ruckman arseh*le. The hawthorn Ruck fed his mids all game. Ours had to wait flat footed because the ball never got tapped to them. There is no point recruiting more midfielders if we don’t improve in the ruck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The midfield mix is so bland
Taranto,
Hopper,
Ross,
Graham,
Prestia.
Can’t go with this type of midfield mix next year.
Regardless of them being best 23, it’s a terrible balance- slow, and all average kicks.
You are absolutely right. I liked Ross's game he did at lease try to stop Newcombe, but the rest seem to just trail the hawthorn players as they ran forward from the centre clearance. Besides Ross the rest of the guys you listed seem incapable of changing direction and are not that quick. Prestia played his best when he started at CHF not in the centre. We can only have one of Taranto, Hopper Graham and Prestia starting in the centre at any time which means one of them needs to go and one should be prepared to play reserves next year. HRS was actually pretty good in the around the ground clearances and he is quick but has never been tried. Banks or Smith are also quick but have never been given a try in the centre. We need a coaching clean out like in 2016 and get some free perspective on the game plan.

My thoughts from going today.

Blight is miles off. I hope we don’t offer him a contract. He ran around like a headless chook, miles off his opponents, his lack of positioning made it much harder on everyone else.

Miller, is liability. Nowhere near blight levels of stupid, but he’s got no idea of what he’s doing.

We can’t mark our undies. Our lack of marking power, makes it hard for our backs to move the ball. No one offers any aerial threat so our opponents can just sag off and make our life hard.

Nankervis isn’t a ruckman arseh*le. The hawthorn Ruck fed his mids all game. Ours had to wait flat footed because the ball never got tapped to them. There is no point recruiting more midfielders if we don’t improve in the ruck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great assessment.
I feel for Blight.
A decent .. yes .. decent first game seduced people, as it always does on here when we are clinging to hope and want the next big thing.
He was pretty average today, which is probbaly being nice.

Too drunk to comprehend the game. Lack of forwards cost us. The Gun Tiger Imposter Richie a as g the Disco. I swear to you I’m 6’8 and 105 unlike Doria. Yates let’s get it on you campaigners.

Watched Yze's presser. "Our leaders are around the ball, but we got smashed clearances. They know that and know it's not acceptable."
Well, clearly they don't or they don't give a **** because it has been happening week in and out.

Notwithstanding nanks lack of jump, the hawthorn ruck wrapped his arms around nanks body, including his arms, on several occasions during a centre bounce or ball up. Now like most of the umps I’m no expert on the laws but I fail to see how nank didn’t get a free from any of those.

Well our VFL team has been in horrific form. You get maybe one good performance a week out of them. Today MRJ, last week Blight. Not exactly many players putting their hand up for a spot.
Ain't it a sad state of affairs at the moment. Just when some show a slight glimmer, that's snuffed out pretty quick.

Notwithstanding nanks lack of jump, the hawthorn ruck wrapped his arms around nanks body, including his arms, on several occasions during a centre bounce or ball up. Now like most of the umps I’m no expert on the laws but I fail to see how nank didn’t get a free from any of those.
Simple. Wrong colour jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be trying to unload at least one of TT and Hopper, even if it's a fire sale where we part-pay their salary. No point loading up on draft picks in a draft full of midfielders when we've got two duds contracted to 2029. I can stomach our forward-line sucking without any decent forwards, but it's hard to see how we're going to fix this midfield without admitting that we screwed up bringing those guys in.

Also 5 disposals for Balta, and this was probably one of his better games as a forward...
Our clearance numbers have improved with TT & JH. But still horrible with ball in hand. Ross in the middle was a change/improvement. Let Prestia retire & Graham & Baker go might be easier.
Jeez there's some dumb decision making with ball in hand, team wide.

Tough game from Blight & Tresize perspective. I'd leave KPPs as is. Balta & Blight KPDs would mean Ryan back in the team. Which is a bigger negative than Miller.

No Lynch and our forward line has been the problem.

Last edited:
How the umps pick frees in ruck duels has always been one of life’s mysteries.

hawforn supporters are the worst bandwagon supporters by far apart from carltoon

when they are down you dont see any of them, they fully disappear from the world

only there when times are good

yet we are labelled bandwagon with the 4th highest attendance from 18th , while pies , blooze , bummers have all been in the top 4 for long periods of the season

we have the most loyal fans in the country

nobody can match us whether we're up or down

Nice that we got back into the game through changing up our style. Give a slight nod to the coaching panel.

One thing I can't stand and could never stand and makes good players average is the one two handball receive. Delidio did it for a year, Cotchin also. Now the master of it is Jayden Short. He calls for every ball, does the hard running and the overlap and runs and runs, eventually into trouble. How many times does he run and receive, give a hardball to a stationary teammate, get it back then run into a wall. And then do it again. Short needs to stop believing that he can do it all on his own, because he has been a good footballer for us when he used his attributes properly, run past kick it long and stop flucking around with the ball.

It is symptomatic of our ball movement with our lack of quality half forwards to compete in the air. Thank god for Jacob Bauer, someone who knows how to fly for the ball. Thought Kosi tried hard in that respect as well.

Great assessment.
I feel for Blight.
A decent .. yes .. decent first game seduced people, as it always does on here when we are clinging to hope and want the next big thing.
He was pretty average today, which is probbaly being nice.
Imagine the three of them at once :rainbow:

Toast: Hugo, Mansell, Vlastuin, Bauer & Bolton.

Roast: Graham, Taranto & Hopper.

Out: 2024
In: 2025

Good signs from the kids. Love seeing Balta & Bauer marking with confidence. HRS' game & goal from the 50 was sublime.
Every player on the list could learn a lesson from Mansell about pressure and attack on the ball. Great to see Jack Ross back in the side, should be a starting mid from here onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast Toast & Changes for Gold Coast

Back