Autopsy Roast & toast vs Adelaide and changes for the bye (or St Kilda)

Best five

• 1: Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • 2: Dylan Grimes

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • 3: Dion Prestia

Votes: 135 68.9%
  • 4: Dustin Martin

Votes: 179 91.3%
  • 5: Brandon Ellis

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 7: Dan Butler

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 11: Jason Castagna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13: Jack Higgins

• 14: Bachar Houli

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • 17: Daniel Rioli

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 19: Tom Lynch

Votes: 148 75.5%
  • 22: Josh Caddy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 33: Kamdyn McIntosh

• 34: Jack Graham

Votes: 77 39.3%
  • 35: Nathan Broad

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 37: Connor Menadue

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

Votes: 157 80.1%
  • 45: Patrick Naish

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 47: Mabior Chol

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • 48: Liam Baker

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Prestia was a workhorse. Can’t see how you wouldn’t rate his game tonight ‘at all’. He was in damage control mostly preventing easy outside ball for the crows by maintaining immense pressure at stoppages and running his arse off to get to each one. His outside game is limited, agreed. So is his fitness which hampers his disposal and decision making. Ive been harsh critic if Dion but thought he contributed a lot tonight. The midfield group lacked depth tonight as it has over the last few weeks. Will burn any side not having quality rotations
My reason is obvious, this year we cannot win a game of footy when we get smashed in the midfield like that, that’s why we hunted to get Pickett. I’m pissed because we failed to put a tag on either of them.

Frustrating outcome given it was winnable, but the overwhelmingly feeling is optimism for the rest of the season.

We’ve been ultra-conservative with our injuries, have Cotch, Sheds, Lambo and Astbury to come back probably directly after the bye, with Short and Riewoldt shortly after, and some easier games to build momentum for a serious run at it.
The thing, those players most likely come in and won't be performing at their best. Think it's gonna take time and I'm not sure if we're gonna have enough.

Even will a full list our midfield is furking ****e and that's been our biggest issue.
Unless we address this problem we will continue to be smashed by teams.
We need to offload a few players and bring in a ready made mid.

Butler can go
Ellis can go
Menadue can go

I'm worried about Rioli, he isn't developing he is going backwards.

did they run Balta through mid tonight at all ?

He’s just a real slow moving player with no feel for the game.
You just don’t want the ball going anywhere near him really.
That's why apart from averaging 33 hitouts in his last three games, last week he had the second highest pressure pts (Both sides) , third highest tackles (Both sides) and 4th highest clearances (for us)
Yep, real spud, no feel for the game. This week's coaches corner summed him up.

But how dumb are we - kicking out from full back we short pass to Garth in the back pocket for him to turn it over. He is just not an AFL footballer
Reminds me of the days of the opposition leaving Duncan kellaway alone in the back pocket.

My reason is obvious, this year we cannot win a game of footy when we get smashed in the midfield like that, that’s why we hunted to get Pickett. I’m pissed because we failed to put a tag on either of them.
Agree with all of that but unsure how it related to the quality of Prestias game. He ain’t no tagger.
Lol can’t believe I’m defending Prestia...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to hang Garth, we all said the same things about rance, he needs time and experience which he got in spades tonight.

Happy we gave them a bit of a scare, we were always pushing **** up hill and their junk time goals flattered them.

Garth has none of the attributes Rance does. He is a good kid but even as a backup key position he is just not up to it at this level.

The Captain was great! Stackman brilliant! Graham started hunting the ball:thumbsu: Chol has genuine tools, but isn't really a ruck. Some really good signs.

We lost in the contests - ruck dominance and inside ball winners = Adelaide beating us.

But we ran them close and could have snatched it.

Yeah some players stank. Snags 2018 where are you?

I know Garth and BEllis caused some issues. But they also did some damn good things. Garth needs more muscle (and height). BEllis was great, then a sideways chip to nothing :mad:. I know he is our get out of jail guy. But surely we can do better than him. Although at least once I saw them spot him and hit him up when he definitely didn't want the ball. I guess it's part of our plan to use Brandon as the last option. I'm sort of defending BEllis. But at the same time saying he isn't great in that get out of jail role. That's Rance or Bachar or Vlas. Not sure why he is being played like that. --> Stop whingeing Dr T

Anyway, I'm happy. But if we don't get some contested ball happening, and soon we're going nowhere.

I can’t believe all the hate on Garthwaite. 3rd best player in a key role. Much the same as if Balta was playing for Lynch.
Watching him just made me yearn for Rancey.
Disappointing to let them get those last 5 goals, and disappointing to be smashed so badly in clearances.

I don't trust the club in telling us how bad the injuries are.
What if Jack doesn't come back this season??
Lamberts injury could be bad
Cotch could be not good
You can't assume they will all come back.

Why don’t you trust them? Sometimes injuries don’t respond as well as you’d like during rehab but the only really serious one seems to be Rance’s ACL. I think we’ll see most of our players return at some stage.

Hitouts: -40
Clearances: -24
Contested possession: -40

That's the game right there.

We have to tighten that up if we are any chance of making finals
Hitouts: we had two non ruckman expecting to ruck at AFL level
Clearances: Cotchin lambo shedda out and expecting to rove to the above
Contested ball : half the team were kids so expected.

Seriously what were you expecting, all these kids to play like 100 gamers or something.

That's why apart from averaging 33 hitouts in his last three games, last week he had the second highest pressure pts (Both sides) , third highest tackles (Both sides) and 4th highest clearances (for us)
Yep, real spud, no feel for the game. This week's coaches corner summed him up.
I didn’t say he was a spud did I? He just has no impact apart from at the centre bounces which would be fine if were fielding a good team but we aren’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & toast vs Adelaide and changes for the bye (or St Kilda)

Back