Autopsy Roast & toast vs Adelaide and changes for the bye (or St Kilda)

Best five

• 1: Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • 2: Dylan Grimes

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • 3: Dion Prestia

Votes: 135 68.9%
  • 4: Dustin Martin

Votes: 179 91.3%
  • 5: Brandon Ellis

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 7: Dan Butler

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 11: Jason Castagna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13: Jack Higgins

• 14: Bachar Houli

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • 17: Daniel Rioli

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 19: Tom Lynch

Votes: 148 75.5%
  • 22: Josh Caddy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 33: Kamdyn McIntosh

• 34: Jack Graham

Votes: 77 39.3%
  • 35: Nathan Broad

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 37: Connor Menadue

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

Votes: 157 80.1%
  • 45: Patrick Naish

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 47: Mabior Chol

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • 48: Liam Baker

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. We've been getting thrashed through the middle.
Other problem is lack of presence from other forwards around lynch. Nobody else looks like getting it so poor old lynch goes 1v3 every time. Gives you even more respect for Jack and just how good he is carrying that forward line for years.

Lynch looked a million times better playing the typical lynch role of leading up at the ball rather than playing the Jack role of going up 1v3

Hope to see more of the mobile lynch!

We just need someone who can win their own ball.
And Graham did that tonight, and could be developed to do it consistently, given he’s still only 21.

However you’ve already ruled him out so I don’t know why I even bother.

Hitouts: we had two non ruckman expecting to ruck at AFL level
Clearances: Cotchin lambo shedda out and expecting to rove to the above
Contested ball : half the team were kids so expected.

Seriously what were you expecting, all these kids to play like 100 gamers or something.

Mate all I was saying is stat lines like that will cost you a game.

I'm well aware of who was and wasn't out there.

Doesbt mean we couldn't have done things better or different to try and reduce those numbers a bit.

Agree with all of that but unsure how it related to the quality of Prestias game. He ain’t no tagger.
Lol can’t believe I’m defending Prestia...
Prestia gets in there and l never question his endeavours. But gee he can spud it up sometimes. For a premium paid player l think his output when giving the ball out could be better. It’s pribably a bit harsh but this happens when the majority of oIt mids get smashed on the inside. If l was to make a call I’d play bolta in the midfield and teach him to run through the bounce, who’s gonna tackle him? Crows broke so many tackles tonight, are mids are week in comparison.

that's good to hear, did the forward line look more open tonight ?

When he led up absolutely.

He could mark it 75m out, wheel around and get it quick.

Feel like we operated better when he was leading at the ball carrier.

Garth has none of the attributes Rance does. He is a good kid but even as a backup key position he is just not up to it at this level.

In his 5th or something game? Kid is 20 playing on tex and Jenkins with the ball coming down pretty regularly, not saying he had a great game but are we really writing him off after 1 game? flipping madness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange how just about every other side can tag our best players out of the game but we can't stop a guy getting over 40 possessions, surely someone could have been sent out to do a job on the Couches.

The other interesting stat would be quarter by quarter how many tackles are broken by the opposition. With the younger bodies we have in the side I would guess the stat blows out in last quarters. Very noticeable tonight how long Crows players seemed to be able to stand in congestion and still find a teammate and to weave out of trouble when seemingly surrounded by Tigers.

Hitouts: we had two non ruckman expecting to ruck at AFL level
Clearances: Cotchin lambo shedda out and expecting to rove to the above
Contested ball : half the team were kids so expected.

Seriously what were you expecting, all these kids to play like 100 gamers or something.

Chimp n Shedda don't turn those contested numbers. Our midfield is hopeless because the club saw a success of 1 year with small and went out and drafted 30 more of them. Tell me really between Butler, Baker, Rioli and Castagna how many times have they all fired since 17? We desperately need to find a quality contested mid in the draft next year next to Ross.

Otl

l take a while for blokes to get into it, not just going to happen.
Think we will really struggle to make the 8.
We still make the eight, that effort tonight beats saints, suns, blues, demons and bears, there's 12 wins and we will snag one or two of the others to finish with 13/14 wins I reckon.

I actually thought Rioli was a lot better tonight.

He was, people are just hanging on to one dropped mark.

He is getting back in to it.. Was never going to go from zero to 100 in a matter of a week. Reckon we will see a lot more from him after the bye.

If we get most of our injured players back and we finish in the Elimination Final region then I have more confidence than in previous years. I believe we have shown that we have no fear travelling interstate so today’s game shows me that we can match it with interstate sides away.
can we get an elim and avoid going interstate ?

Midfield - Dusty, Prestia, Graham all good. Not much rotation support for them tonight. Prestia had a chance to kick a bag and could have been our matchwinner. KMac dependable on the wing without being brilliant.

Backline - They were really under the pump at times but held up reasonably.
Garth is our only KPD option at the moment, but it would be great if we could move him to a wing or the forward line for a slight respite from the relentless pressure of the backline. I hope he is encouraged and supported to keep his chin up and just concentrate on the next battle.
Grimes and Broad not particularly noticeable.
Vlastuin huge in the first half. Houli his usual self, not always impressed with his disposal but works so hard to get the ball.
Stack did some really nice things and will keep improving. Only criticism is that he passed it off to BEllis a few times which gave him 0 chance of being involved in a scoring chain....

Forwards - really impressed with Lynch. Could have held a few more marks but his effort was there all night.
Smalls - Baker lost his normally strong clean hands. Butler frustrating. Higgins fumbled everything. Castagna fairly quiet, Rioli improving but still not as good as he's previously shown, Caddy had an ordinary game.

Chol - was really happy with his game. Would like to keep him in the team, even though he'll be up and down - similar to Balta, whom I've been happy to keep in the team but barely noticed tonight. Ideally we rotate Chol/Balta between AFL/VFL with Nank/Chol as first ruck.

Ellis. Hmmmm.... He can run, he can work hard, he can play tough,... but holy shit, he's the last player I want to have the ball when there's an iota of pressure. I don't know the answer for him. How many times do you drop him and remind him what he needs to work on? How can you play him to his strengths when the opposition is pressuring all across the ground?
Menadue a bit similar, but I feel he can still improve if he gains confidence.

Changes:
Bolton for Higgins. Higgins just to relax, enjoy his footy and regain form in the VFL. I have faith that he will regain form.
Maybe Aarts for Butler? Depends on Aarts form on Saturday, probably no improvement.
Maybe Soldo for Balta?
If Astbury returns, would probably keep Garth in the team and drop Menadue (or Butler and move Menadue forward)
If Cotch/Edwards/Lambert ready to return probably Butler, Menadue, Castagna, Ellis, Naish, Rioli to make way in that order. Order of replacement probably changes week to week until they all return. Ross probably a better option when fit as well.

But. I was expecting us to get smashed by much more much earlier in the game and am not too disappointed in that game. Going to have a slow day at work tomorrow as I kept dashing to the fridge for another beer instead of switching to another channel as I presumed I would be doing at some stage.

West Coast and GWS not overly convincing at the moment. Geelong & Collingwood more of a worry but both are beatable. If we can make the finals we will have a completely different look about us and the premiership is definitely wide open for any form team to grab come September.

First time poster here. Tigers fan overseas. Paid up AFL viewer subscription.

With the last 7 games at the MCG and key players to come back I would be surprised if we don't make the 8.

Ellis got the ball plenty, but did everything wrong with it. As already mentioned, he killed the momentum and too many costly errors resulting in counter-attack goals. Higgins was deplorable with hands and Butler disappointing. Was Garthwaite covering for Grimes a lot or was he as bad as he appeared?
We had no ruck. Chol played way too deep running into ruck contests and was last to the ball nearly every time in ruck contest. Prestia worked hard, but should have kicked at least one goal to swing momentum.

Stacks is class personified. Remarkable first year talent. Lynch was really good. Dusty did what he could, but his disposal wasn't up to its usual standard although mostly better than the rest. Chol has a heap of potential and loads of agility.

The fact we were still in it 15 minutes to go was interesting considering where we are with injuries and how bad some of our smaller players played around contested areas. That tiger urgency to get the ball at all costs was missing amongst them. We were killed at stoppages, no ruck. Also our skill level with the fundamentals was sadly lacking.

They sorely need the 'bye' rest. Cross fingers we get our key players back to make a good run in towards the end of the season.

In his 5th or something game? Kid is 20 playing on tex and Jenkins with the ball coming down pretty regularly, not saying he had a great game but are we really writing him off after 1 game? ruddy madness

No doubt.

Backline was smashed tonight.

I think peoples worry with Garthwait though is he is a tweener. Not fast enough to be effective on the lead, not bog enough to stand up in the contest. He will improve, but for now he is both the worst parts of Astbury and Grimes

Garth was poop, cant not believe
Garth has none of the attributes Rance does. He is a good kid but even as a backup key position he is just not up to it at this level.
How is Garth even mentioned as part of a succession plan for the backline...

We still make the eight, that effort tonight beats saints, suns, blues, demons and bears, there's 12 wins and we will snag one or two of the others to finish with 13/14 wins I reckon.
I just worry about the load a lot of blokes are carrying and expect them to hit a wall themselves by the time players return. I’m not overtly fussed if it turns out that way anyway, get a good preseason in and reload.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & toast vs Adelaide and changes for the bye (or St Kilda)

Back