Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Carlton & Changes for Collingwood

Best vs Carlton round 1, 2020

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How many goals did Carlton get from free kicks compared to us?
That Lambert 50 was awful, but I don't think we got another one?

The Lambert one should have been called play on but given their clearly wasn't a whistle it was 100% a 50 and what Simpson did was plain stupid. In front of 80,000 you might be able to get away with it but in an empty stadium you should know better than to tackle a bloke when the umpire hasn't called play on.

Smashed in clearances ,,,,bs filter ,,,Actual -3
Lol 😆 footys back

Far too much being made of this. The number of blind turns Cripps, Murphy and Walsh did to clear the contest only for it to favour us given we were set up behind the ball further proves why basic stats are becoming more meaningless in the AFL. Compare that to our guys who 80% of the time worked their way out through handballs that led to kicking in space.

Having now watched the recording of the game, I'm generally in agreement with the points raised by posters here. I did think Graham played sore and looked tentative and slow for much of his time on the field. Also Nank was clunky and will struggle to hold his spot with a surging CCJ having him firmly in his cross hairs. Worst decision of the game was by Simon Meredith for that block call against Titch who, to his undying credit, calmly sought an explanation from the umpire. From the facial expressions of the participants, it seems Meredith might have realised he stuffed this one up. Meredith has an unenviable record of at least one impossibly wrong call against us in every game I've seen him officiate. Like that no pay mark to Jack R at the start of the 2019 GF and a bizarre blocking call against Lynch in one of the final games last year against Brisbane.

Floss actually seemed OK at the post match scenes and it might play out like Broad's concussion before last year's GF. Albeit Floss has a shorter recovery time line. I'd like to see Jack Ross come in against the Pies at Graham's expense, mostly so that Jack G can build his tank and confidence in his shoulder. Also CCJ for Nank and, depending how he is performing on the track, KMac for some bodywork and grunt on the outside. Finally while acknowledging that Lynch and Jack R got little from the umpires, I'd like them, particularly Lynch, to just move more and impose themselves on contests as in 2019.

Thought Broad got better as the game went and started to add a bit of run and rebound, something I've been critical on. Shocking early. The goal that Martin kicked on him as he wheeled and snapped was top shelf and Broad did well just to be on his clacker.

Thought Nank wasn't bad at all considering it was an early underprepared hit out. I didn't think much of Soldo's ruckwork as his tap work was off, but again early days.

Good to see Pickett's pressure acts so high because he has high skill, although again a bit rusty.
Vlastuin going down was massive because he is so good and was controlling the backline.

Umps, well the young man with the black hair, he was just plain no good...... love his free against Edwards when Casbolt barrelled him over and Edwards grabbed his jumper for a bit of ballast before he hit the deck. Holding the man. They were making them up in the end. Even their first goal where they played on after the dodgy free would have been a goal by ump. Add that to the tally.

Forward of centre we looked impossible to defend against. Martin, Riewoldt, Lynch, and add Bolton, and that is the best forward line in the league by some way.
Thought our backs were shakier, Vlas didn't help. But good game to get up and out of the way.

Last edited:
They were shizen and we arre lucky we didnt play a team who can actually use the ball well and have a fwd line.

Same players shown up same problems shown up.

Soldo and Nankervis was pathetic and there is no way we can keep on playing both of them.They got smashed by Kruezer early and thank got he got injured early. With him off the ground between the two of them they should have totally dominated the game and didnt.

We should have dominated in the air down back when Casboult their only genuine key fwd had to play ruck but struggled. We were smashed in clearances and our contested ball work was horrid if they had just a bit of midfield depth we were in trouble and even then like i said if they could use the ball better they would have won and if they had just one dominant tall fwd who could give a good contest every time they would have won. No one can tell me if Kruezer had stayed fit and Curnow, Betts and McKay were fit we would have lost this game.
We lost in a whole pile of key areas against this mob i shudder to think what will happen against a good side.

Imo heads need to role there are players who took into this game what they always do and there was no sign of any sort of improvement in areas of weakness.
That was totally unacceptable even though we won and there is no excuse after finding a whole lot of depth last yr to not make changes and give em all a good wake up call.
It's a miracle we got 50pts up.

we just shouldn't have played Nank and Graham. Fit and firing no worries at all, but did we not learn from last year, it was a risk we didn't need to take.
CCJ and Ross would have been great...

Only catch now is, blokes who don't play in the 1's can't push their case for a call up, and when they do, they will be rusty due to no match practise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we just shouldn't have played Nank and Graham. Fit and firing no worries at all, but did we not learn from last year, it was a risk we didn't need to take.

Only catch now is, blokes who don't play in the 1's can't push their case for a call up, and when they do, they will be rusty due to no match practise
We had a scratch match against the bloos leftovers.

Not a good message to send around the footy world or anywhere for that matter - they are shaking hands and hugging at the end of the game. What they got a screw loose? They haven't been drilled about not doing that? That looks real bad.

Not that the season will continue for much longer. Australia is getting this reputation of being lax round the world regarding Corona and this just f/&king shows for good reason.
Not sure if serious🤔

Thought Broad got better as the game went and started to add a bit of run and rebound, something I've been critical on. Shocking early. The goal that Martin kicked on him as he wheeled and snapped was top shelf and Broad did well just to be on his clacker.

Thought Nank wasn't bad at all considering it was an early underprepared hit out. I didn't think much of Soldo's ruckwork as his tap work was off, but again early days.

Good to see Pickett's pressure acts so high because he has high skill, although again a bit rusty.
Vlastuin going down was massive because he is so good and was controlling the backline.

Umps, well the young man with the black hair, he was just plain no good...... love his free against Edwards when Casbolt barrelled him over and Edwards grabbed his jumper for a bit of ballast before he hit the deck. Holding the man. They were making them up in the end. Even their first goal where they played on after the dodgy free would have been a goal by ump. Add that to the tally.

Forward of centre we looked impossible to defend against. Martin, Riewoldt, Lynch, and add Bolton, and that is the best forward line in the league by some way.
Thought our backs were shakier, Vlas didn't help. But good game to get up and out of the way.

wouldn’t worry about the backs, apart from last year Carlton often score one of their higher scores in RD.1

2018 - highest score for the year
2017 - 3rd highest
2016 - 5th highest
2015 - 5th highest

as you mention no match practice, I think the fact some boys got preseason games meant compared to Nank and Graham forced our hand a bit. We need games into these two and no better time than against the Blues.

If games are forced into short time frames there will be a high turn over to get a lot of boys games.

If the defenders are going to struggle against McGovern and jack Martin in the air then id say its time to reintroduce one of the younger tall defenders.
Bring in Balta and bloody persevere we need a second kpd which would allow us to play Grimes on a nuicance like Martin.

There is absolutely no need for short in the team and fmd after the way Cripps monstered us we need to play some bigger bodies in the midfield.
We also dont need two lumbering ineffectual ruckman in the team. They should both be ashamed of themselves.

I thought we were smashed by Kruezer. And when he went off Casboult continued the carnage. Our rucks looked out of touch. And I reckon Soldo has continued his preseason crap form into the main season. He was smashed by the pies rookie ruckman. If we weren't coming up against Grundy I'd be droppinf Soldo for CJ.
after watching replay, Soldo did some good things . My apologies. Nank might be better for the run. I'd leave rucks as is for a week. Graham for Ross?

If the defenders are going to struggle against McGovern and jack Martin in the air then id say its time to reintroduce one of the younger tall defenders.
Bring in Balta and bloody persevere we need a second kpd which would allow us to play Grimes on a nuicance like Martin.

There is absolutely no need for short in the team and fmd after the way Cripps monstered us we need to play some bigger bodies in the midfield.
We also dont need two lumbering ineffectual ruckman in the team. They should both be ashamed of themselves.
I agree,
Also I think while the games are shorter I think going back to just the one ruckman and having balta their to relieve will be better than the two conventional rucks.
Changes for next week would be nank out for balta and graham out for Ross.
Not sure how far away Houli is or why the prognosis is on vlas

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Carlton & Changes for Collingwood

Back