Autopsy Roast, toast vs Sydney and changes for Port Adelaide in two weeks

Best vs Sydney

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch would have made the difference, so what did we do to counter that, nothing.
We still kicked 100 points, our forward line and scoring power wasn’t the issue

Undisciplined players, and our leaders failing to rise to the occasion cost us 3 oppo goals at least

We still kicked 100 points, our forward line and scoring power wasn’t the issue

Undisciplined players, and our leaders failing to rise to the occasion cost us 3 oppo goals at least
If we had played another tall we would have won easily. If it was Lynch, we would have panted them.
But yes we are our own worst enemies and let them back in.

If we had played another tall we would have won easily. If it was Lynch, we would have panted them.
Don’t think another tall would of made the difference at all, especially given the selection we had available
They completely ignored Soldo and they would of done the same to Ryan

Don’t think another tall would of made the difference at all, especially given the selection we had available
They completely ignored Soldo and they would of done the same to Ryan
I would have played Miller not Ryan. Miller has been in great form, Ryan would be no different to Soldo, big and slow. Tarrant even. We were a far better side than the Swans but ran out of options going forward.

Lynch has been the most important player at Richmond this year because he gives us that big mobile target to aim for. It helps that he has been in great form. Asking Jack to play that role was never going to work. In tandem with someone who was in good form maybe, but a forward line of Jack on his own essentially didn't work last year much less this.

I would have played Miller not Ryan. Miller has been in great form, Ryan would be no different to Soldo, big and slow. Tarrant even. We were a far better side than the Swans but ran out of options going forward.

Lynch has been the most important player at Richmond this year because he gives us that big mobile target to aim for. It helps that he has been in great form. Asking Jack to play that role was never going to work. In tandem with someone who was in good form maybe, but a forward line of Jack on his own essentially didn't work last year much less this.
Has Miller ever played forward?
Not a fan of just throwing someone forward or back unless it’s in a break glass situation
They can mess up the guys who play in that area of the ground by disrupting leading lanes or going for marks and spoiling team mates

Good article by Jon Pierik in The Age.
Richmond bye round snapshot.
For the remainder of the year, we play only four of the teams currently in the top eight.

Yep ... and none of Hawthorn, Collingwood, Freo, St kilda and the Suns were in the top eight last year and we emerged with a whole two points against them in the last 7 weeks last year :)

Yeah exactly, they definitely applied pressure but they had genuine skill as players, as you're implying. I guess Cyril was insane though, best of both worlds he was.

Castagna is an annoying one though, he really has amazing tools for the position he plays and sometimes does amazingly. He has speed, reads the play pretty well at times and bobs up for us up forward, he can run all day, he can take a mark etc. There's 90% of a real gun there, but the other 10% is just so, I dunno, goofy or something, eg. sometimes he gets the ball on the wing, looks all excitable and just kicks it to the opposition or to literally nothing. He trips over himself. I think perhaps the speed/rhythm of his body and his mind are working at odds ever so slightly, and it causes him to stuff things up a lot.

If he could cut out some of the goofiness, which I'd have hoped he would have by now after so many senior games but also playing in many high-pressure games of footy (4 QF, 1 Semi, 4 Prelims, 3 GF/Flags), he could really be icing for us for a long period. But 2 handballs at the weekend after a few other average games this season, I'd personally be cutting him, see how he goes in the magoos for a few weeks and let him earn the spot back.

I think you're 90 per cent wrong on J. Castagna.
Speed yes.
Skills no. Actually deplorable.
Game sense. No. Lacking.
Fumbles yes. Often
Turnovers. Yes.
Amazed we have carried him this far.
Be honest, how many times has he excelled when we've lost? Ridden the coat-tails of others too long.
Last weekend was simply intolerable at any level of footy.

Yep ... and none of Hawthorn, Collingwood, Freo, St kilda and the Suns were in the top eight last year and we emerged with a whole two points against them in the last 7 weeks last year :)

People need to forget about last year. We were literally playing crap, lack of hunger, many injuries, didn't adjust to the new rules etc
No one can say that about the team this year. If it wasn't for a few brain fades (undisciplined acts) we would be on 8 or 9 wins and only a couple of losses.

We are the second-highest scoring team behind the lions and we have won the 2nd most quarters only behind Melbourne.

We have adjusted to the rules and tweaked the game plan. Gone back to a more pressure-packed style of play and quick ball movement.

I am confident if we stay healthy and that's a big if, like 2019-2020 we can win at a minmum 9 games from the last 11 games.

Spicy Ramen GIF by De’arra & Ken 4 Life
Meatball in great form. Just wrap him up in cotton wool and roll him out on Gameday.

uh huh...How about saw a team come right at us and we shat the bed? Just we have throughout this season (even with Lunch in). Yup we dodgy calls. So did Sydney.

If we had Lunch, then do Sydney get Blakey? Maybe they'd rather have Hickey?

Tigers were out coached. They were mentally poor on the field. Bed got soiled. Oppo given a green light.

The only light, be it low wattage, was that we got out of that pooped filled bed, put the fists up and had a dip later in the last. Forgot to kick straight though. That is a different mental game.

Not a fan of just throwing someone forward or back unless it’s in a break glass situation
They can mess up the guys who play in that area of the ground by disrupting leading lanes or going for marks and spoiling team mates

Think Miller has played fwd as a junior, and maybe in his first season with us at VFL? But that would be about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Miller has played fwd as a junior, and maybe in his first season with us at VFL? But that would be about it.
Miller is getting more touches than our midfielders lately, he's clearly been told to be more offensive and has taken to it nicely. Also showing some nice dukes. What's his best position? Dunno, but there's serious tools there. If he needs to play forward to get some AFL time I'm all for it.

So we have a bloody discipline problem 6 years in a row??

To me that's a load of BS.

6 years our free kick diff is either bottom or second bottom and after all this time ,it's still a discipline problem?????

Wake up and smell the roses.

So we have a bloody discipline problem 6 years in a row??

To me that's a load of BS.

6 years our free kick diff is either bottom or second bottom and after all this time ,it's still a discipline problem?????

Wake up and smell the roses.

Teams don't have discipline problems. Individuals do. We have a few in the team that play on the edge and some over it who need to pull their heads in but the same applies to every other team.

uh huh...How about saw a team come right at us and we shat the bed? Just we have throughout this season (even with Lunch in). Yup we dodgy calls. So did Sydney.

Tigers were out coached. They were mentally poor on the field. Bed got soiled. Oppo given a green light.

The only light, be it low wattage, was that we got out of that pooped filled bed, put the fists up and had a dip later in the last. Forgot to kick straight though. That is a different mental game.
yep,Hardwicks been done in by Longmire on many occassions.including last friday.
i dont wanna knock Damien tho too hard,more of a tap cos he sends the players out there to play the brand each n everytime regardless of who the oppo is ,only problem is that it sets u up for assasination

Last edited:
Not often enough, looked good when he did but that was a few seasons ago. Given we have zero forward backup it is strange that he is not being played there at some stage.

If you go into a game with one forward you won't win many games. Last year when Lynch was out it was Jack vs the rest, shades of that last week with the ball just rebounding out of our forward half. Eventually Buddy and Reid got on the end of it. Not one side in the league would go in to a game with one forward. Jack is not the player he was, he cannot compete up the ground like he used too, yet we act like he can.

You are right, we didn't help ourselves, but we should never have been in a situation to lose the game in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast, toast vs Sydney and changes for Port Adelaide in two weeks

Back