Autopsy Roast, toast vs Sydney and changes for Port Adelaide in two weeks

Best vs Sydney

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Richmond uses the "sidestep the mark" tactic that Lyon pointed out tonight.

I was pissed off seeing it on the weekend and another fail of the stand rule,it lets players with the ball to get a few seconds head start while the "stander" is too worried about giving a 50.

You watch if we do this then the stand rule will be stopped by the CFL which is fine by me.

So I'm finally back from Sydney. Couple of points:
1) Swans supporters, to generalise, are a different breed of cat. First time ever I've moved seats to escape idiots. THey weren't aggressive or obnoxious, just stupid, talked all the way thru the footy (not about the footy). Idiots were abusing Dusty Q1, overrrated, etc just as he wheeled off the mark and drilled the goal from 50. I just turned around and eyeballed the idiot. Last qtr the crowd behind me were more interested in skulling competitions than the footy. And they had those clapping things! duck they were loud...and incessant. Lastly on the SCG. Nice ground, would be great for the Test cricket. But the seats the Swans allocated Tiges were a disgrace. Anyone notice they stuck the cheer squad in the pocket rather than behind the goals? And Tiges VFL players, staff and players families were right up the back, level 3 in the nose bleed section with the skulling competition idiots. Saw JRs folks there...don't reckon Joe was happy at all. We should reciprocate.
2) The game. Turnovers were the difference. Even then shots on goal in Q4 should have been enough, but we couldn't convert.
Changes. In Mansell for MRJ, Balta for Cumbo, Pickett for Soldo/George depending on structure vs Port.

ps. Viv'd in Sydney on the weekend. Very good. Manly ferry for brunch (Hoos !) was mint on Sunday. Flight home cancelled. Virgin are campaigners just like Dogstar. Was in airport for 6hours waiting to get home (beers $12)

Had a very similar experience at the game. Swans supporters are complete nongs.

Yeah those stupid cardboard swans clappers with sponsors on them are the most bloody annoying things. They give away money when one of the 20k nongs holds it up at half time. I had a couple of twits in front of me fighting with them the whole game. They were with a Richmond supporter so I had to let if fly but I'm sure they would have know I wasn't happy when I called them carnts.

The light rail to the ground from the city is slower than walking and I had to leave before the end or I would have been stuck on the platform back with 10k Neil Diamond, Red tracksuit wearing nongs. I wasn't sure I could do that without an assault charge so thought best to evacuate.

Interestingly I had other friends sitting in different parts of the ground and they all said the same thing.

I won't be returning to a Swans game again, ever.

On the other hand, if you want to hang around a bunch of obnoxious flogs - go to a Swans game.

A lot less people at the games but Giants fans are much much better people.

Had a very similar experience at the game. Swans supporters are complete nongs.

Yeah those stupid cardboard swans clappers with sponsors on them are the most bloody annoying things. They give away money when one of the 20k nongs holds it up at half time. I had a couple of twits in front of me fighting with them the whole game. They were with a Richmond supporter so I had to let if fly but I'm sure they would have know I wasn't happy when I called them carnts.

The light rail to the ground from the city is slower than walking and I had to leave before the end or I would have been stuck on the platform back with 10k Neil Diamond, Red tracksuit wearing nongs. I wasn't sure I could do that without an assault charge so thought best to evacuate.

Interestingly I had other friends sitting in different parts of the ground and they all said the same thing.

I won't be returning to a Swans game again, ever.

On the other hand, if you want to hang around a bunch of obnoxious flogs - go to a Swans game.

A lot less people at the games but Giants fans are much much better people.

and AFL HQ wonder why they have trouble penetrating a Sydney market? A flog is a flog

and AFL HQ wonder why they have trouble penetrating a Sydney market? A flog is a flog
Even though they are flogs at the Swans, the NRL could only dream about getting 30k to an NRL game other than State of Origin or a final.

The below NRL crowds were in Sydney yesterday and I reckon they pump up those numbers big time.

29/05/22NRL: Eels d RaidersGIO Stadium16,244
29/05/22NRL: Dragons d BulldogsBelmore Sports Ground16,991
28/05/22NRL: Roosters d SharksPointsBet Stadium11,500

1/5 against top 8 teams, the poison of a mid table finish looms large.

Such a hard game to think back on as for 2.5 quarters we just looked like we were bossing them, but ultimately our worst effort can be scored against at will. The Swan were able to target our weak links down back and we saw our system break. We saw some really clumsy and poor losses in the contested 1on1 in Defensive 50 that directly lead to goals.

Our discipline has been absolutely terrible tho, dumb 50's let them back in.

Not really sure i see where this season is heading tbh - a few teases to suggest we can still be elite, but ultimately we haven't seen the team be able to committ to 4 quarters of that intent for a long long time. just patches of form really

Even though they are flogs at the Swans, the NRL could only dream about getting 30k to an NRL game other than State of Origin or a final.

The below NRL crowds were in Sydney yesterday and I reckon they pump up those numbers big time.

29/05/22NRL: Eels d RaidersGIO Stadium16,244
29/05/22NRL: Dragons d BulldogsBelmore Sports Ground16,991
28/05/22NRL: Roosters d SharksPointsBet Stadium11,500
We got more people to our training GF week.

I didn't sée the free for Prestia. I have no problems how it ended although inconsistent based on other decisions where 50 MTS was paid.

From another camera angle, you see the tent forming when a shirt is pulled, which is where the hold on Prestia is called.

1/5 against top 8 teams, the poison of a mid table finish looms large.

Such a hard game to think back on as for 2.5 quarters we just looked like we were bossing them, but ultimately our worst effort can be scored against at will. The Swan were able to target our weak links down back and we saw our system break. We saw some really clumsy and poor losses in the contested 1on1 in Defensive 50 that directly lead to goals.

Our discipline has been absolutely terrible tho, dumb 50's let them back in.

Not really sure i see where this season is heading tbh - a few teases to suggest we can still be elite, but ultimately we haven't seen the team be able to committ to 4 quarters of that intent for a long long time. just patches of form really
I agree on the discipline - nothing short of atrocious but bloody hell, you're not a glass half empty guy, you're a glass left out in the sun until it's baked in and needs to be thrown out.

As pissed off as I have been some weeks at our play, I still think we're a real chance.
Just watch and learn.
We're about to head into big boys month, you better go on a holiday.

I hope Richmond uses the "sidestep the mark" tactic that Lyon pointed out tonight.

I was pissed off seeing it on the weekend and another fail of the stand rule,it lets players with the ball to get a few seconds head start while the "stander" is too worried about giving a 50.

You watch if we do this then the stand rule will be stopped by the CFL which is fine by me.
I suppose you can have a player run at speed past you, feign the handball and the man on the mark moves expecting a handball to the player running past then wait for your 50 metre penalty. Do this after every free kick and hopefully they will realise how stupid the stand rule is. Uncompetitive shit. Fake games, with fake results. Footy is rooted. The old legends will be rolling in their graves. Can anyone explain the free kick resulting in Reid’s goal or for Rioli’s prohibited contact? WTF.

You can disagree all you like. The fact is that buddy kicked 4 on him and will say now this is my last post on it.
It wasn't all on a silver platter, One goal he out marked gibcus, the other gibcus held him.

Let's review the facts then, shall we.

From what I can gather from the 4 minute highlight package the AFL has on YouTube:

Q2 - Contested mark on Gibcus.
Q3 - Leading outside 50 with about a 5-10m gap on Gibcus. Edwards runs from the side as Buddy plays on, and doesn't put enough pressure on. Gibcus standing the mark at this point. No one in the goal square.
Q4 - Rioli spoils Gibcus, which Papley crumbs. Gibcus then tackles Papley, who is able to handball to Buddy who's in space.
Q4 - Gibcus free kick
Q4 - Buddy on the lead on Tarrant.

The only mistake in the above is the free kick, which given it's a 10 gamer on one of the best Key Forwards to have played the game, is impressive.
Players are out marked in contests all the time, so hardly see how it's a mistake.
Even Rance has been caught out on the lead by Buddy multiple times during their battles.
And then you have teh Tarrant one and the one where Rioli spoils Gibcus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want us to win by 4 points after a free to a Port player 60 metres out ,siren goes and Dusty kicks the ball out of the ground.

No 50 is paid,we win.

Just imagine the squirming squeaky bums by umpires and media alike especially Whateley lmao.

His tongue would be covered in bite marks.

P.S. actually you know the drill,Umpires would waltz the Port player to the 10 metre line for a free shot on goal.

Lot of interesting discussions regarding the game, and just wanna add my two cents:

Seen a lot of people pointing the fingure at Nank for giving away the free kick against Ladhams as a reason as to why we lost, which I can see the point trying to be made, but if you even look at the Collingwood v Carlton game yesterday, Collingwood player does the exact same to a Carlton player with about 40 seconds left in Q4 with no free kick being called. It's just one of those that is sometimes paid and sometimes isn't, depending on how the umpire feels at the given moment. If we want to talk about free kicks, think the Bolton 50 that led to Campbell kicking his goal should be scrutinised more.

But at the end of the day, when both teams are given 30 free kicks, I don't know if ill-discipline is the problem, cause at the end of the day, that isn't something we control. It's up to how the umpire feels at the given moment, and whether they are using common sense or going by technicality.

What I want to focus on is what we control, and 2 things stood out to me:

1. In the 3rd quarter, when Sydney were rising, think our effort, pressure and tackling intensity was poor and not at the same level compared to the first half. From purely a stats POV, only 3 players laid multiple tackles in the 3rd quarter: Dusty, Prestia and Castagna with 5, 3 and 2 respectively. While it's wonderful seeing Dusty working hard in that respect, those efforts from him should be on top of what Nank, Graham, Cotchin etc bring, but they only managed 2 tackles between the 3 of them. The 3 players I immediately think of when we talk about tackling and pressure intensity when the ball needs to be won in the middle, and they only manage 2. That is something we are in control of, but didn't turn up with in the 3rd quarter, which led to dominance from Warner and Ladhams out of the middle that kickstarted a lot of Sydney's goals.

2. Bolton only attending 9 centre bounces. We all know that Sydney's ground is smaller, so why not try and utilise Bolton's ability of kicking goals from the centre square a bit more? We were always going to need goals from other avenues with Riewoldt the only key forward up against the McCartin brothers, and thought the centre bounce goals Bolton can score would've been beneficial in that regard.

I want us to win by 4 points after a free to a Port player 60 metres out ,siren goes and Dusty kicks the ball out of the ground.

No 50 is paid,we win.

Just imagine the squirming squeaky bums by umpires and media alike especially Whateley lmao.

P.S. actually you know the drill,Umpires would waltz the Port player to the 10 metre line for a free shot on goal.
I'd do it at 1/4time.Because we'll have 3qtrs to get that goal back.😉

Changes for Port. This is what I would go with:

Grimes - Tarrant - Gibcus
Baker - Vlaustin - Rioli
Ralphsmith - Short - Pickett
Stack
- Cumberland - MJ
Bolton - Martin - Riewoldt

Nank - Prestia - Cotchin
Dow - Broad - Graham - Soldo
Sub: Edwards

If Balta is fit, then he comes in for Tarrant, but if he isn't fit, Dixon is the kind of player that is perfect for Tarrant. Slow, cumbersome forward that Tarrant can come from the back to spoil. Not sure if Lambert would be back fit, so haven't considered him. Lynch more likely for Carlton the week after.

Ralphsmith doesn't deserver to be dropped after that game, and Pickett is best 22, so McIntosh comes out. Stacky for George, no explanation needed. Cumberland in as a marking target in the fwd 50. Quite small for a 'medium' fwd at about 183cm, but as seen in the VFL, plays taller than he is. Dow in for Ross, not much to say there. Edwards the sub.

Things I don't mind seeing:
  • RCD for Soldo. Another mid/runner into the side. Don't think Lycett is back, so they'll probably go with Hayes and Finlayson in the ruck. Last time I checked, Hayes doesn't have the best tank, so Nank should work him over. Pickett > Finlayson as a ruck. RCD has rucked a bit at VFL over the past couple weeks, so we can use him as the backup if we need to as well. Think Cotchin took a boundary throw in as well at one point v Sydney.
  • Sonsie in for Ross instead of Dow. A little quieter over the past couple of weeks in the VFL, but at the same time, has been tagged a couple of times. I mean, Liam Shiels went from tagging Sonsie one week to tagging Lachie Neale the next. Don't know if you can find a better endorsement than that.

Thoughts for the future:
  • Think we're a week or two away from Miller being the backup key defender instead of Tarrant. If not, then we need to. Tarrant is fine as a backup, but when we're talking about backup players, a strong performer from a younger player in the VFL takes priority over a veteran AFL player that we know all about. Understandable why it's been Tarrant so far this season, but feel like Miller has had a strong couple of weeks in the VFL since being dropped, and starting to look too good for the VFL.

No 50 is paid,we win.

ive just given the farken rort that Whateley is a firm bake on the SEN forum,cants not fit to discuss aussie rules after his pathetic explanations on the umpiring and rules debacles currently holding court in the game,when you have someones judgement clouded by the amount of $$$$ received its time for them to be removed

Think we can still make the finals from here. Not sure if we can do any damage in them. Time will tell.

I put the blame for this loss fairly and squarely on Shai Bolton. Score is 56-23 just over halfway through second quarter. We’d kicked 7 goals in a row and were arguably one more goal away from breaking their backs. We were utterly dominant and playing great footy. Sydney didn’t even look like scoring a goal. Free kick on the wing, and Bolton does what he does every … single … week and gives away a totally unnecessary 50m penalty. Sydney kick a goal they desperately needed, get it to 56-29, and from that moment you could tell they’d changed their body language and had momentum back in their favour.

I guarantee every single Tiger supporter was watching thinking what I was …. “I’ve got a feeling that 50m is going to be costly”. And so it proved. Of course there are hundreds of other incidents post that, but that was the moment where the momentum of the game shifted and Sydney players knew they were back in with a sniff.

Maybe it would have shifted anyway, we will never know. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our utter dominance we’d had for 30-minutes ended that very moment.

If we didn’t concede that goal and managed to kick the next, at 65-23 the game is over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No one ever seems to notice it, but momentum swings don’t tend to happen in a vacuum; usually it’s something stupid or a poor skill error or a missed easy goal that becomes a goal at the other end but it happens regularly.

When you’ve got the foot on the throat, don’t take it off. Don’t give the opposition hope and don’t cause your team to think negatively.

Remember Geelong for example? They didn't pick Chapman and Stevie J for their pressure, they were picked because they were gun footballers who just happened to be good forwards, but both could do damage in the midfield too.
I guess it was the Cyril, Puopolo and Breust model from Hawthorn. Difference being, those three probably get a game without the tackling pressure.

Ours probably don’t.

So I'm finally back from Sydney. Couple of points:
1) Swans supporters, to generalise, are a different breed of cat. First time ever I've moved seats to escape idiots. THey weren't aggressive or obnoxious, just stupid, talked all the way thru the footy (not about the footy). Idiots were abusing Dusty Q1, overrrated, etc just as he wheeled off the mark and drilled the goal from 50. I just turned around and eyeballed the idiot. Last qtr the crowd behind me were more interested in skulling competitions than the footy. And they had those clapping things! duck they were loud...and incessant. Lastly on the SCG. Nice ground, would be great for the Test cricket. But the seats the Swans allocated Tiges were a disgrace. Anyone notice they stuck the cheer squad in the pocket rather than behind the goals? And Tiges VFL players, staff and players families were right up the back, level 3 in the nose bleed section with the skulling competition idiots. Saw JRs folks there...don't reckon Joe was happy at all. We should reciprocate.
2) The game. Turnovers were the difference. Even then shots on goal in Q4 should have been enough, but we couldn't convert.
Changes. In Mansell for MRJ, Balta for Cumbo, Pickett for Soldo/George depending on structure vs Port.

ps. Viv'd in Sydney on the weekend. Very good. Manly ferry for brunch (Hoos !) was mint on Sunday. Flight home cancelled. Virgin are campaigners just like Dogstar. Was in airport for 6hours waiting to get home (beers $12)
Yeh, I'm sure at a game at the G Richmond supporters would be so afable and not talking just of the game. Get your goggles off and then comeback to post. You couldn't even get the ground right. It's a cow's patch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast, toast vs Sydney and changes for Port Adelaide in two weeks

Back