Autopsy Round 14, 2024 : Hawks skin Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

That was just a disgusting read all round. The CJ hate is very strange.

Yeh really bizarre.

I thought CJ did well against McIntosh who is very underrated and one of the Tiges senior players.

AFL app says we made 101 interchanges out of 75 but pretty clearly its a mistake.
I know that it is, try telling that to the tiger supporters that are claiming we cheated and the afl is corrupt for letting us get away with it 😂

Similar impact to Scrima’s tackle a few weeks ago and he got a week. Expecting the same for Moore. Seems that as soon as the players head hits the ground it’s deemed dangerous. I know it’s all about protecting the player but you can do absolutely everything right in a tackle within the rules and with no malice but if the player hits his head on the ground it’s a week. Basically down to luck.
Just read that Moore had no case to answer for and free to play. It’s a miracle.

Annnd now to someone else I cannot unsee doing poor things.

CJ.

He clearly got some robust feedback during the week about his questionable desire to attack the ball or the contest culminating in him letting himself and the team down under the high ball with 3 mins left Vs GWS last week.

He got immediate harsh feedback from Weddle who had to run 20m to cover the GWS forward. That clearly was a focus of the Monday briefing and I'm sure CJ talked things through with Sam.

Main thing was - the players saw it, and a couple reacted on field.

This Genie doesn't go back in the bottle I'm afraid.

He's done it all career, head-ducked a couple of times prior to his injury - got feedback from opposition players both times as well.

Got injured - Out for a longtime and came back.

No criticism from me about him being tentative in the first 2 back from a year off.

But it wasn't getting better. He wasn't attacking the loose ball. Jumping into contests.Standing under the high ball.

Then last weeks very poor effort at the end.

So to Richmond on Saturday.

I was out of my seat.
Fist-pumping.
Shouting praise at CJ for those 2 huge contests in the opening quarter.
Crashed packs and marked.

The players knew. Hardwick ran 40m to pat his behind and talk quietly - praising him - so clearly the players / coaches had given CJ feedback - what a response!!

And then, apart from another tackle later on leading to a set shot for HTB, all that desire just seemed to drift away.

By the second half, he was back to avoiding contests - he actually ran around and ignored 2 contests in the second half rather than mark or spoil or just get involved.

Phoenix Spiceresque.

The stupid thing is - he averages 2 tackles a game. He can do it. He choses not to.

The players noticed.

I can tell you right now, 3 of our most committed back 6 all looked at CJ and then at each other when CJ just chose to not get involved and stand off the contests when we were under a Richmond attack.

I, and others I was sat with, saw it clear as day from my seat.

When players notice one of the guys aren't cracking in, it causes tension.

I have no idea what Sam can do - CJ can do it - he just decides when he wants to.

That won't work in this team.

Ward, Weddle, McKenzie and MacDonald all came under criticism from multiple posters for being soft at the contest last season.

MacDonalds carried on into the first couple of rounds of this one!

But they all decided to change - and they have.

Weddle went from shitting himself on a regular basis to being absolutely fearless. Crashes in. Flies backwards into a pack.

Does not take a short step. Incredible turnaround.

Ward and McKenzie both turned their respective corners when during a game they were in, they each at some point were faced with a choice.

Take the hit and the hurt but win the ball OR avoid the contest.

They both took the hit and have never looked back.

McKenzie takes some brutal hits every game, and doesn't break stride.

MacDonald is probably the best of the lot.

I don't think he even knew half forwards had to defend. He certainly didn't.

Man, credit where it is due, he has reinvented himself.

Tackling harder.

Hard at the ball and man.

His two way running yesterday was awesome. He learnt and adapted.

And that's the issue - CJ chooses not to.

CJ gets dropped Vs WCE for Finn (tag on Harley Reid) - has to be.

CJ has to win back the trust of the playing group. They've seen it, don't like it, made it known.

If he can't or won't, a fresh start for CJ elsewhere might be for the best, so he can start again.

This rascal stuff? This over-celebrating after goals and at the end?

He knows he's letting himself and the team down, hence the bravado.

Blokes like Dylan 'Cat' Stephens, Jeremy Sharpe, Zac Fisher are all known to be soft at the contest at times, but all found another club where, for some reason, they aren't pulled up.

This Hawthorn side that's building to be something special - this ain't one of those clubs.
Rubbish.

Since when was Weddle shitting himself on a regular basis? There was literally one occasion which he owned up to.

Garbage posting. And the CJ hate is strange. Did he shit in your breakfast or something?

I know that it is, try telling that to the tiger supporters that are claiming we cheated and the afl is corrupt for letting us get away with it 😂
I've been telling them the AFL got it wrong and we actually made 132 .
We have found a way to exploit the system like we did in the 3 peats .
It's a lot of fun 😁

What really annoyed me about the Frost talk this pre-season is how much people had to blatantly make shit up to call him cooked. Spent most of last season playing through injury and finished the season in recovery but apparently he'd been dropped and kept out of the side by Blanck and Scrimshaw, he was done and the coaches knew it. Funny.
Agree on Frost. Apart from missing through injury I can't ever recall a game when he has missed through being dropped. The perception of him on here versus the esteem he is held internally has been vastly different.

Also this season Worps seems to be playing alot slicker and with much more composure. He seems to be less fumbly and not going to ground as much. He is releasing players by hand much better and the dump kick has largely been put away. Really impressive season.

Some really special moments by our spiritual captain Will Day but none more inspirational than his chase down of Ralphsmith to save a likely goal.

Also loved the Wiz's game. Some of the smothers and aerial contests were fantastic. And that back-breaking mark was something else. Not too bothered by his goal kicking as that's something he'll take care of in good time.

One thing I noticed about this game is how well we set up when they had possession in the last line. They could not work out where to kick and either chopped it about without gaining ground or kicked to a contest. This may also reflect some deficiencies in their defenders with ball in hand, but I reckon we did a very good job controlling the space. I sign of a well coached and well organised team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we all stop with calling criticism hate? that’s ridiculous and I’m hoping hyperbole. I don’t agree with the assessment on CJ either but I am not going to attack someone for having a different opinion even if I believe it is wrong.
CJ is working his way back from a long layoff and doing a lot of unrewarded running. Also if any of the things said are true that will see him out of the side pretty quickly as it won’t be tolerated for long.

Last edited:
What really annoyed me about the Frost talk this pre-season is how much people had to blatantly make shit up to call him cooked. Spent most of last season playing through injury and finished the season in recovery but apparently he'd been dropped and kept out of the side by Blanck and Scrimshaw, he was done and the coaches knew it. Funny.
I was the first person to hate having the ball in Frosts hands. Now I crave it.

CJ.

He clearly got some robust feedback during the week about his questionable desire to attack the ball or the contest culminating in him letting himself and the team down under the high ball with 3 mins left Vs GWS last week.

He got immediate harsh feedback from Weddle who had to run 20m to cover the GWS forward. That clearly was a focus of the Monday briefing and I'm sure CJ talked things through with Sam.

He's done it all career, head-ducked a couple of times prior to his injury - got feedback from opposition players both times as well.

No criticism from me about him being tentative in the first 2 back from a year off.

But it wasn't getting better. He wasn't attacking the loose ball. Jumping into contests.Standing under the high ball.

I was out of my seat.
Fist-pumping.

The players knew. Hardwick ran 40m to pat his behind and talk quietly - praising him - so clearly the players / coaches had given CJ feedback - what a response!!

And then, apart from another tackle later on leading to a set shot for HTB, all that desire just seemed to drift away.

By the second half, he was back to avoiding contests - he actually ran around and ignored 2 contests in the second half rather than mark or spoil or just get involved.

Phoenix Spiceresque.

The stupid thing is - he averages 2 tackles a game. He can do it. He choses not to.

The players noticed.

I can tell you right now, 3 of our most committed back 6 all looked at CJ and then at each other when CJ just chose to not get involved and stand off the contests when we were under a Richmond attack.

I have no idea what Sam can do - CJ can do it - he just decides when he wants to.

Ward, Weddle, McKenzie and MacDonald all came under criticism from multiple posters for being soft at the contest last season.

Weddle went from shitting himself on a regular basis to being absolutely fearless. Crashes in. Flies backwards into a pack.

Ward and McKenzie both turned their respective corners when during a game they were in, they each at some point were faced with a choice.

Tackling harder.

CJ has to win back the trust of the playing group. They've seen it, don't like it, made it known.

If he can't or won't, a fresh start for CJ elsewhere might be for the best, so he can start again.

Blokes like Dylan 'Cat' Stephens, Jeremy Sharpe, Zac Fisher are all known to be soft at the contest at times, but all found another club where, for some reason, they aren't pulled up.

This Hawthorn side that's building to be something special - this ain't one of those clubs.

CJ.

I was out of my seat.
Fist-pumping.

Phoenix Spiceresque.

The players noticed.

Tackling harder.

We found Andrew Tate's Bigfooty account

Since when was Weddle shitting himself on a regular basis? There was literally one occasion which he owned up to.

Garbage posting. And the CJ hate is strange. Did he shit in your breakfast or something?
Yeah - completely lost me with the Weddle stuff. Weddle had been throwing himself into packs as a first year player and lost concentration in a single moment earlier this season. Rubbish post that demeans our players for no good reason.

Anyone going to mention Gunner getting subbed at half time without touching it.

Was he injured in the warm up? Was it one too many games in a row?

He's been performing above expectation but that was a crash landing. The bye came a week too late for him.

Probably our best win of the year in my book.

Not often you say that about 13th vs 17th, but it was such a great test for our young group. 92k in attendance and we're the villans, big event/occassion around the match and a test on the group's maturity. Dusty kicks the first and it's on.

Then the boys just lifted and never looked like losing. Fantastic.

Never seen so many Tiger supporters at a game, great atmosphere BEFORE THE GAME, pretty quiet during the match. Strange game, the Tigers always turned up and upset us when we were winning premierships, perhaps those days are gone now.

A couple of points:

1. I spent the whole of Selwood’s career calling him out as a cheating, cowardly fraud. Please don’t allow our players to drop into tackles to draw frees. It is embarrassing

2. Those supporters criticising players, go to the games and watch what they’re doing. CJ is playing a different game, doing more defence in the forward line. You need to be there and watch their movement.

3. For those watching on TV in WA, Conor McDonald played another great game; he’s playing outside the contest, giving an outlet for the quick handpass/kick.

4. Richmond were totally, absolutely rubbish.

5. Great to have another W - let’s keep it going.

Go Hawks!

Just read that Moore had no case to answer for and free to play. It’s a miracle.

giphy.webp

Anyone going to mention Gunner getting subbed at half time without touching it.

Was he injured in the warm up? Was it one too many games in a row?

He's been performing above expectation but that was a crash landing. The bye came a week too late for him.
I thought he presented well but was let down by some pretty god-awful delivery so was surprised to see him subbed

Never seen so many Tiger supporters at a game, great atmosphere BEFORE THE GAME, pretty quiet during the match. Strange game, the Tigers always turned up and upset us when we were winning premierships, perhaps those days are gone now.

A couple of points:

1. I spent the whole of Selwood’s career calling him out as a cheating, cowardly fraud. Please don’t allow our players to drop into tackles to draw frees. It is embarrassing

2. Those supporters criticising players, go to the games and watch what they’re doing. CJ is playing a different game, doing more defence in the forward line. You need to be there and watch their movement.

3. For those watching on TV in WA, Conor McDonald played another great game; he’s playing outside the contest, giving an outlet for the quick handpass/kick.

4. Richmond were totally, absolutely rubbish.

5. Great to have another W - let’s keep it going.

Go Hawks!
Poppy was the master of this and the result of many of his goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2024 : Hawks skin Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back