Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope more gets made of the defensive efforts this week. Locking WCE down in that second half was really impressive. Especially considering we lost Sicily, who was on an absolute tear, for the last quarter.

Similar to how we just shut Adelaide out in the first half of our game. It was superb.

Our ability to defend is exceptional at the moment. If you watch closely it's similar to the 08 cluster but Sam's using rotations in a very nuanced way. I'm sure oppo teams have picked up on it but stopping it is proving to be difficult.
The team has been talking about predictable to each other. If you read between the lines, it's predictability to the game style that's driving us forward

The best part of todays win is that we were three times their score, but still got some great things to work on.

A better team would have held us to account for those missed shots. It was reminding me of this extension game (I think, or pies) where we had the running and didn’t put them away. Need to make sure we take our opportunities.

yeh I just didn't enjoy it for some reason either we should have destroyed them by double that margin
Funny, I was really pleased with the win. I’m overseas atm; got up at 7:30 am to watch it live. I saw the win as a great sign of maturity and sustained progress. This was a game where a relapse was on the cards for a young team like ours - in enemy territory, Eagles fielding their strongest team for some time and coming off a bye.
We never looked like losing. Wasn’t perfect but we smashed them. Yes, we could have smashed them even more in theory but we’re not the finished product, we still have plenty of room for improvement - which makes this win exciting for me; not disappointing in the slightest.

Last edited:
Notice he hasn’t been doing any long burst runs. Probably being told to lay off a bit to regain strength and confidence.

It reminds me of having to earn your ’pen license’ in primary school. Seems CJ have earned his back, and frosty had his revoked! I think Weddle and Day the only ones with the license at the moment!

Weddle's ball carry was completely different yesterday.

Usually he gets it, runs forward, everyone panics, he does a little bit, then he remembers he needs to find an option.
Yesterday - his speed is a whole extra level. He put his head down and his disposal afterwards was really good and straight to the most attacking spots.

I think he's learned that he doesn't have to be pushed wide by defenders, he's got the wheels to sprint to where he wants to go.

Ginnivan this week - 21 touches, 4 tackles, 2.1 goals, these kinds of stats from a small forward is in the elite category. It was a mixed bag, but it was mostly good though.

I really like how hard he works back into defence and is seemingly always around the contest. It seems like Mitchell has given him a free reign to push right up the ground to get involved and provide an extra option around the ball at all times.

Honestly I never knew he had it in him to play like that.

Having him, Moore and MacDonald push right up the ground has helped open up our game and our quick ball movement.

Our small forwards and half forwards really give opposition coaches headaches.

Moore (15 games)
18.8 touches
4.7 marks
3.6 tackles
24.6 goals/points
15 goal assists

MacDonald (15 games)
16.2 touches
4.9 marks
2.3 tackles
15.13 goals/points
8 goal assists

Ginnivan (15 games)
16 touches
4.3 marks
2.5 tackles
17.16 goals/points
8 goal assists

Mackenzie (15 games)
14.5 touched
2.3 marks
2.3 tackles
8.5 goals/points
6 goal assists

Watson (8 games)
10.5 touches
3.2 marks
2.1 tackles
6.17 goals/points (plus several OOTF or didn't make the distance)
4 goal assists

Hardwick (15 games)
13.6 touches
4.4 marks
2.3 tackles
13.4 goals/points
7 goal assists

*** obviously Hardwick has spent plenty of time in defence too.

And to think outside of Hardwick they are all young with plenty of improvement and development left.
The thing I find frustrating so far with Ginni is the wastefulness. He's done so many things I didn't think were in his bag this year, the ground he's covering and the work rate - but stuff I really thought were his strengths are going worse than expected. He's running at 48% by foot and has 17.16 from 46 shots, meaning 13 didn't trouble the scoreboard.

That said, he's still a youngster, and if he can turn those around to run at about 60% by foot and go for goals between 50-60% he's suddenly a perennial AA candidate. I think he can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WE LEGIT MAY NEVER LOSE AGAIN
Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Not only that when we win the ball back we are kicking with precision. Just need to halve more contests in the forward line once it's there. Only gripe outside of a couple of injuries today. Geelong play Russian Roulette with their setup on the ground so they can slingshot the ball at speed back the other way. Its super dangerous when it works like it did the first 7 weeks. But our gamestyle is kryptonite to that. We slice through the aggressive press they won't stop us scoring. They will back their style to win so it's up to us to counter it and force them on the defensive like the Blues did.

I think our biggest issue is the shape of there ground,it get most teams playing down there!
Especially coming out of the backline where teams kick the ball out on the full all the time,because the flanks are so narrow compared to a normal ground.
Hopefully Sam and the coaches are all over this and we can send this club over the cliff we’re they finally belong!
I hope Mitch Lewis and Mabior Chol can work better together than the start of the year? I will miss Calsher’s enthusiasm !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jiath and Impey were winding back the clock and providing great run out of the back line, albeit against witches hats. Jiath's aerial ability and pace makes him a real weapon.

It was good to see Harley having a friendly chat with the boys after the match. He was a bit rusty and overenthusiastic at times but at least he has a dip.

[Just so enjoyable to watch us right now. Playing uncompromising defence and getting out in transition on the counter. This is a very even season and we could quite easily be top 6 right now. Great signs for the future. 😀]

Top 6 ??

If MacDonald had kicked the goal in the dying minute against Collingwood and we hadn't caved in against Port, we'd be a clear 3rd on the ladder right now !!

On face value I wasn't overly impressed with the first half of footy, I thought we were wasteful and our kicking to the forward line was sloppy and costly at times.
However, going back there is a lot to really like about this win. Coming off a bye myself and many others were not sure what to expect, I think we have all shifted our mindset from I hope we can win to we should be winning this.

Super important for a young group to win interstate, and not including Tassie that is our first for ages, so that confidence moving forward to a ground I don't think anyone has played on being Kadina Park is going to go a long way.

If it takes three twists to remove my lid, I’m two twists in….
Beat the Cats and twist it the 3rd time!

We would be in clear 3rd spot on the ladder if Cmac had kicked the goal against the Pies and Port didn’t get a toe on the footy in the last second of that game.

Clear 3rd - think about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back