Review Round 16, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 was the worst year i've ever experienced as a supporter of this club. I know it's trendy to be super hysterical over our current predicament but saying things are way worse now is absolute bs.
We won three games in 2011. I enjoyed those three games. I haven't properly enjoyed a Port game for two and a half seasons.

Hope is the x-factor that fuels footy clubs.

Hope that you can win a flag when you’re contending.

Hope that you can watch a rebuild come to fruition ASAP when you’re not.

Hope that you’ll crush your rivals and the clubs you dislike along the way.

Hope that the sky’s the limit for all concerned, as individuals, as a team, and as an organisation.

But the current regime has managed to take the purest form of reality TV there is, where anything can happen before a captive fanatic audience, and somehow converted it into the most predictable, formulaic, mundane, scripted boondoggle to rival any VHS boxset on a dusty shelf at Vinnie’s.

Starring a cast of loathsome characters with no redeeming features and zero relatability, who actively insult, gaslight and disregard their audience, aided and abetted by similar types in the media and beyond.

Only people who are neurologically incapable of recall, pattern recognition, parsing historical data, spotting trends — or have an agenda — still ‘believe’ Ken Hinkley is capable of leading Port to a flag.

Everyone else knows we’re just wasting time, resources and precious finite playing careers in no-man’s land.

Good enough but not good enough.

Essentially rendering the whole exercise pointless and boring, with each season meandering to an inevitable ending we’ve already seen countless times before, and cued up to be played once again.
We've turned into the pre 2017 variety of Richmond, and the pre 2019 version of Glenelg, whilst they both have turned into pre 2007 us.

It's utterly sickening.

We won three games in 2011. I enjoyed those three games. I haven't properly enjoyed a Port game for two and a half seasons.
Their have been quite a few enjoyable close finishes though? Last year we won a lot of close games which featured 2 shots after the siren that went our way both times, one of which was massive bomb from outside 50, and this year the come from behind Hawthorn win was about as insane of a win as you get in a minor round.

Are you really that negative that you haven't enjoyed any win over the last 2.5 years?

I think in hindsight that Hawthorn win and the Freo win too, were a lot better wins than we gave them credit for at the time. Mainly because we probably we underrated the opponent at the time.

Todd Marshall has to be dropped too.
Marshall out Hammy, Dixon still suspended, I can see Ratugolea being selected in his place.

But Dogs have Darcy, Naughton, Ugle-Hagle and Lobb that play forward. Lobb played at CHB against North.

Their have been quite a few enjoyable close finishes though? Last year we won a lot of close games which featured 2 shots after the siren that went our way both times, one of which was massive bomb from outside 50, and this year the come from behind Hawthorn win was about as insane of a win as you get in a minor round.

Are you really that negative that you haven't enjoyed any win over the last 2.5 years?

I think in hindsight that Hawthorn win and the Freo win too, were a lot better wins than we gave them credit for at the time. Mainly because we probably we underrated the opponent at the time.
Realist.

The club completely lost the faith of most of it's supporter base on Prelim Final night in 2021. Since then it's been impossible to enjoy any victory, knowing that come September, it will amount to nothing.

Ride the Macrae journey, or ride the Hinkley journey? Some similar minor round results re. close finishes and comebacks, with vastly different reactions from it's respective fan bases. 2 completely different authors writing completely different novels.

I asked myself the same question and the answer is no. As I have posted before Mitch is the worse kick at goal I have seen in over 60 years of following Port. His problem is mental and that showed in that particular kick.
Nah Leon Milde and Paul Marrett come to mind straight away as soon as I read it. Primus wasn't much better than those 2. Mitch has a better set shot conversion rate than Finlayson.

Last edited:
Realist.

The club completely lost the faith of most of it's supporter base on Prelim Final night in 2021. Since then it's been impossible to enjoy any victory, knowing that come September, it will amount to nothing.

Ride the Macrae journey, or ride the Hinkley journey? Some similar minor round results re. close finishes and comebacks, with vastly different reactions from its respective fan bases. 2 completely different authors writing completely different novels.
Round 3, 2022 was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

Being in the Crows home crowd as Dawson sunk us after the siren, a week after the humiliation of the Ebert tribute match.

I’ve enjoyed some wins then - Melbourne at home in the wet last year springs to mind - but mostly I’m not too fussed and I’m certainly not riding every kick on the edge of my seat like I used to.

What worries me is that emotional investment isn’t going to just magically come back if Ken goes either. Its roots are deeper than that. I don’t feel much for the majority of the playing group either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm assuming Ken gave his love child Butters 5 votes, which means he only gave JHF 1 vote. And again, assuming Ken gave votes to our guys, he gave Rozee 3 votes.
You can't tell me Rozee had a better game than JHF

Ross was raving about JHF in his presser whilst Hinkley was raving about Rozee immediately post game. Think I know whose judgment I value more.

Their have been quite a few enjoyable close finishes though?
Yeah but I don't want us to win them, I want us to sack Hinkley.
The only game I've enjoyed this year was the Brisbane game.

Ross was raving about JHF in his presser whilst Hinkley was raving about Rozee immediately post game. Think I know whose judgment I value more.
The coach assigns votes on how good he thought the player was with knowledge we don't possess, such as what his specific instructions were. Maybe JFH succeeded in spite of those instructions. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Those coaches votes are bizarre. Horne Francis clearly the best player on the ground.
coaches dont always give the best player on the ground max votes, bedoford got max votes when we played them, he clearly was best, just becuase he sucesfully tagged butters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back