Review Round 16, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming Ken gave his love child Butters 5 votes, which means he only gave JHF 1 vote. And again, assuming Ken gave votes to our guys, he gave Rozee 3 votes.
You can't tell me Rozee had a better game than JHF
Reckon the other way round ross only talked up JHF 3rd quarter and said basically his didn’t do much in the last.

Was a class above both sides deserved 10 votes.

Nah Leon Milde and Paul Marrett come to mind straight away as soon as I read it. Primus wasn't much better than those 2. Mitch has a better set shot conversion rate than Finlayson.
Not sure Paul Marrett belongs in the same category as Leon Milde REH, he had a worse ball drop than John Butcher.

I can remember Marrett, who was known as the Golliwog taking hangers from the oppo fullback's kick in at least 50 metres out on the Alberton oval outer flank members end, and tonking the ball through post high on 3 or 4 occasions in the early 1970's, including two in the same qtr in a trial game against South Melbourne.
I can't recall what he was like from close range though, but I do remember him scoring from the goal square in a come from behind win against sturt at Unley (also in the early 1970's), and they didn't lose too many games there in that era.

Primus had an awkward ball drop as well, but from 30 metres or so out I thought he was reasonably accurate.

Last edited:
Bad luck Port fans, both teams tried their best to lose that game but we beat you to it, we get Pick 4 and you get to keep Kenny.
futurama GIF

Not sure Paul Marrett belongs in the same category as Leon Milde REH, he had a worse ball drop than John Butcher.

I can remember Marrett, who was knowm as the Golliwog taking hangers from the oppo fullback's kick in at least 50 metres out on the Alberton oval outer flank members end, and tonking the ball through post high on 3 or 4 occasions in the early 1970's, including two in the same qtr in a trial game against South Melbourne.
I can't recall what he was like from close range though, but I do remember him scoring from the goal square in a come from behind win against sturt at Unley (also in the early 1970's), and they didn't lose too many games there in that era.

Primus had an awkward ball drop as well, but from 30 metres or so out I thought he was reasonably accurate.
I saw Primus miss set shots, twice from the top of the goal square. A terrible ball drop.

My opinions on Paul Marrett might be skewed because I played against him in the ammos one game in 1983 or 84 I looked my old club annual reports, it was 1986, when he was playing for Riverside. So he might have been about 38+ then. He had a shocking day kicking the ball - field and goal kicking. It was a bit soft under foot from rain during the week, but it wasn't a bog or the ball was water logged at all.

I do remember him being a huge bloke. I was about 67kgs 70kgs at the time and I remember running into him as we both went for the ball and I just bounced off him.

Last edited:
AFL from LA has done a couple of witty videos about Ross Lyon games this year.

I'm sure she will produce another good one in a few days over this game.

But here is her take on the bore-fest that was Saints vs Bulldogs prime time Thursday night Rd 7 game.

6 votes seems about right for me with jhf. It was a good game but not a perfect 10. He’s been a bit wasteful lately, wild shots on goal, couple times he kicked it straight to oppo
Inside 50.

He was bog but not by a huge margin.

I thought rozee, BZT, allir and butters weren’t far off. It was daylight after that though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

6 votes seems about right for me with jhf. It was a good game but not a perfect 10. He’s been a bit wasteful lately, wild shots on goal, couple times he kicked it straight to oppo
Inside 50.

He was bog but not by a huge margin.

I thought rozee, BZT, allir and butters weren’t far off. It was daylight after that though.

It's not a ratings system, BOG means 10 votes.

1 mil 😂😂😂 are you sure about that?
Apparently he was on about 900k years back and it got cut to about 600k when COVID happened.

Not sure about the value of the new 2 year deal, but I'd have to assume it's gone back up.

Hinkley
5 Butters
4 Zerk-Thatcher
3 Rozee
2 Battle
1 Horne-Francis

Lyon
5 Horne-Francis
4 Wilkie
3 Marshall
2 Aliir
1 Wanganeen-Milera

I don't see Lyon giving Rozee or Butters votes that is 100% on Stinkers

Imagine being Max King and knowing your coach thinks you're so 💩 that the bloke who beat you pointless didn't really have much to beat so didn't get a vote.

Imagine being Max King and knowing your coach thinks you're so 💩 that the bloke who beat you pointless didn't really have much to beat so didn't get a vote.
LOL yeah for sure. Also I wonder if Hinkley also gave the 2 votes to Aliir rather than Battle. Would he be so blind to think that we had the best 5 players on the ground while not being the best team on the day and scraping over the line by 2 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL yeah for sure. Also I wonder if Hinkley also gave the 2 votes to Aliir rather than Battle. Would he be so blind to think that we had the best 5 players on the ground while not being the best team on the day and scraping over the line by 2 points.

Daddy was handing out gold stars to his boys.

Hope is the x-factor that fuels footy clubs.

Hope that you can win a flag when you’re contending.

Hope that you can watch a rebuild come to fruition ASAP when you’re not.

Hope that you’ll crush your rivals and the clubs you dislike along the way.

Hope that the sky’s the limit for all concerned, as individuals, as a team, and as an organisation.

But the current regime has managed to take the purest form of reality TV there is, where anything can happen before a captive fanatic audience, and somehow converted it into the most predictable, formulaic, mundane, scripted boondoggle to rival any VHS boxset on a dusty shelf at Vinnie’s.

Starring a cast of loathsome characters with no redeeming features and zero relatability, who actively insult, gaslight and disregard their audience, aided and abetted by similar types in the media and beyond.

Only people who are neurologically incapable of recall, pattern recognition, parsing historical data, spotting trends — or have an agenda — still ‘believe’ Ken Hinkley is capable of leading Port to a flag.

Everyone else knows we’re just wasting time, resources and precious finite playing careers in no-man’s land.

Good enough but not good enough.

Essentially rendering the whole exercise pointless and boring, with each season meandering to an inevitable ending we’ve already seen countless times before, and cued up to be played once again.
Mods, can you please fix this post at the top of the thread?

2011 was the worst year i've ever experienced as a supporter of this club. I know it's trendy to be super hysterical over our current predicament but saying things are way worse now is absolute bs.

It’s a matter of perspective, and people have made quite clear what’s their point.

So no one was best on ground because it wasn’t a perfect 10? I don’t get that. Jhf got the most coaches votes so collectively he was rated as the best player on the ground.

You said 'it was a good game but not a perfect 10'. You then said 'he was BOG'. If both coaches agreed, as most here agreed, he should've got 10. Hinkley sucks.

1 mil 😂😂😂 are you sure about that?
I feel like his seniority would almost certainly lead to his salary being closer to 1 mil than it is to 500k. Whatever the case it’s more than a little sickening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back