Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I kept saying just STFU and commentate you’re not Farkn funny or interesting. **** me
Me and a mate had the volume off, did our own commentary...jeez he awarded a lot of free kicks to us !!

Jackson cracked the Supercoach ton during the third quarter. He finished on 116.
Meek was on 55 as Jackson passed 100 then finished on 104.

That's how big Meek was for the last quarter and a bit of the game.

51 hitouts. Huge.

Triple M gave 3 votes to Meek and 2 to Jackson for what its worth..
To be fair, the entire MMM commentary team watched the game from Melbourne on the Fox feed. Brownless gave the votes and he'd not had much of a clue about many of our players during the call.

I still think our kick-ins strategy is poor and hope we address it across the offseason.
Today's game was a great battle, stoked we came out on top.
Loved how Mitch kept throwing up different looks, with Weddle & Sicily up fwd, then in the ruck.

Kick ins make sense against sides like freo. Kick long to the flank, bring it to ground, spread.

It's against the likes of Geelong and Sydney it won't work

Good gutsy win from a meh game

I was critical of the Sicily selection but it paid off moving him forward - not sure he will get up next week

Thought Meek, Nash and Watson were great and Newc turned up in the last when it was needed

Last edited:
looked the better side all day, the scoreline flattered Freo IMO.
easy to understand the criticism of Tom Mitchell four years ago from opposition supporters.... looking from the other side at similar players, Serong and Brayshaw get a load of possessions and in general do very little with them. Young their best mid by a country mile, despite what the media nuffies will say.
Anyway, as expected, Day, Nash, Worpel and Newk absolutely smashed them, which is a great response after last week's midfield debacle.
Meek goes from strength to strength, another wonderful game.
Sicily is about 60% fit, but that is still better than 90% of AFL players.
Mass is vital, hope he gets up. Would think if he is fit, Ginnivan in for Morrison, with Ward (who did well today) the sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think our kick-ins strategy is poor and hope we address it across the offseason.
Today's game was a great battle, stoked we came out on top.
Loved how Mitch kept throwing up different looks, with Weddle & Sicily up fwd, then in the ruck.
I can't remember which podcast it was that interviewed Jarman Impey, but he mentioned that being predictable was important and referred directly to kick ins and going to the right. It didn't help last week, especially going to the flat side of GMHBA, and it was tough going today.

There’s a lot to like about the 2024 version of Jack Scrimshaw. 👍

Let’s see what Mitchell says in his presser and how the coaches votes go. I’m happy we won but I’m not happy with the way the game was played. In our run of consecutive wins we took the initiative and completely dictated the flow of the game. Today Fremantle mostly did that and we were forced to react. I just hope the coaching team aren’t satisfied with that.

Those wins were generally against low level teams .. This was a win against a good team who applied high level pressure throughout..
This is a big step in the right direction for us as a team. We’re competing against quality teams bringing their best… and we won so I think the coaches would justifiably be proud of this developing team..Go Hawkers!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let’s see what Mitchell says in his presser and how the coaches votes go. I’m happy we won but I’m not happy with the way the game was played. In our run of consecutive wins we took the initiative and completely dictated the flow of the game. Today Fremantle mostly did that and we were forced to react. I just hope the coaching team aren’t satisfied with that.

It’s still a young side - expecting them to just dismantle sides and dictate terms week in/week out like this is 2013 is a tad unrealistic. I think what you’re not giving the side credit for is that we are continually finding ways to win. We can win beautifully, we can stay in back and forth games and get the win (Bulldogs, GWS etc) we can grind them out and we can win reactively like you say today. I think it’s a great sign that this side can close out games in different scenarios.

Last edited:
We turned it over A LOT in the last. It had me in disbelief. Yet Freo couldn't make anything of it. The boys outran them and went harder and smarter at the contest. It really could.have been a 6 goal win once they get a bit more late game composure. They were running on top of the ground.

A lack of Lewis hurt. Chol is really valuable in his role, but he can't judge the flight and wrestle well enough to bring balls to ground consistently as an outlet. This game really gives credence to the staff wanting another key forward and key back.

Day is a magician and it's a treat to watch him every week. Part Pendles, part Fyfe. Just wait til he's in the 50-100 game zone as a centre square mid. He has another gear and he's already so good.

The spread of midfield load is peak Sam Mitchell. 2018 GF winning tactician.

Where is the ‘but they/we haven’t beaten any decent sides’ chorus today? Another narrative shut down by this side.

It's hard to say who are good or bad sides at the moment given how even it is from 2 to 13. I think none of the sides in that logjam are easy beats.

Personally I think Brisbane, the Doggies and Freo are all top eight sides. All three should be pushing for top four.

To be fair, the entire MMM commentary team watched the game from Melbourne on the Fox feed. Brownless gave the votes and he'd not had much of a clue about many of our players during the call.

Was fox at the game?

I think Billy knows a fair bit more about football than he lets on.

And I reckon he was probably right with his votes as well.

Well said and I’ll reframe the question as suggested, and repent of any perceived malice in the question.

We’re a far better team with Lewis in it.. He’s our best forward.. He and Calsher could be Curnow and McKay level dominant.. So excited to see our full compliment of players together!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back