Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

He's one of the best defenders in the comp. Great that he can swing forward every now and then, but it shouldn't be a permanent move. Far too valuable in the back line.

Weddle, however, could swing forward.

Agree, when he's fit he's one of the best defenders in the league (best non-KPD alongside Stewart, Ridley and Ryan). Elite interceptor and he generates so much ball movement for us with his kicking. The only time I'd want him to be moved up the ground is if he was copping the a defensive tag (like Stewart recently), or, like today, when he is struggling with his shoulder and could just sit in the square.

He's such a good player that IMO he could play anywhere (again, like Stewart). But playing him behind the ball is where he's needed the most.

Don’t get this ‘we had no right to win’ attitude. Just watched the game again and first 10 minutes we were on top, couldn’t put the hammer down. 2nd quarter we won. 3rd quarter we lost obviously but then final quarter we iced it.

Thought Meek was huge today, was concerned a more agile ruck may give him trouble like last week but his follow up, bustling and tackling today were great today.

Watching the replay - it’s the most ridiculous things that make you laugh and he slips things like this quite often when commentating

Dwayne

“He waddles past Weddle”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win by our guys. Probably only a few of our guys played well the full game. Nash, Meek, Worpel & Day played consistently good throughout the entire game and Newk Moore Weddle Sic Calsh and a few others popped in for a good quarter when needed.

All credit to Freo though coz they were first to the ball a lot and some of their precision kicking and marking made it hard for us to do much until the magnets got moved.

A few guys like CMac X2 Chol & Ward had games they'd like to forget.

All that being said it's a great sign that even on a day like that where we're up against a good side and struggling for periods of the game that we can hold our nerve and change things around and work our way back into it.

A good arm wrestle of a game and even during the low scoring periods it wasn't from flooding or boring footy lkke it can be at times which is a credit to both teams.

Meek did not have his colours lowered. He won the ruck battle, go to the Freo board and they are lamenting how much Meek brutalised Jackson in the ruck. Definitely one of the big reasons we won.
I thought Jackson had the better of Meek early on by jumping all over him, but I think Lloyd changed the way he went about it in the middle and he won us the game as far as I'm concerned.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

FInally watched the game on replay.

The thing that stood out to me was how intense the game was from both sides. That was not an easy game at all. Unlike last week - we kept at it and didn't go into our shells.

These are the best kind of wins while youre watching your club rebuild

I was critical last week but Meek today was terrific. Poor 3rd but otherwise imposed himself physically and got things moving our way.

In a game where clearances determined the outcome, he was critical.

The belief in this team is ridiculous!!
Freo had us on the ropes multiple times but they just dug deep and refused to give in.
Banged up skipper stood tall to lead the team.
Meek was huge against Jackson
Weddle had a great game - took on many different roles.
Worpel, Nash, Day and Newcombe were all huge in the last quarter.
What about Sam Frost’s corridor kick to Jarman Impey opened up an opportunity to get the ball rolling!
My heart left me a note, it’s not coming back.

I thought Jackson had the better of Meek early on by jumping all over him, but I think Lloyd changed the way he went about it in the middle and he won us the game as far as I'm concerned.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was a great ruck battle between two very different style of ruckman.

I really enjoyed watching it, Jackson’s athleticism and versatility vs Meeks brute power and bustleness (not sure that’s a word but you know what I mean).

We forced them into so many long shots at goal. To allow them only 5 inside 40 seems extremely low

I don't think we forced them into those shots insomuch as they decided to take them. Voss and Amiss took marks on 50 constantly and didn't even entertain better options.

If the umpires are going to be that red hot on HTB calls when the players wrist is secured then we need to start training on what to do in those situations.

It's too risky for most of them to try and break their arm free in time to do a handball. Given the rules allow for an illegal disposal as long as a genuine attempt was made (stupid rule) we should be immediately looking to drop the ball onto the foot for a dinky kick and teammates should be anticipating that so they can get in straight away to get the groundball recovery.

I'm sure there will still be instances where it's still called illegal disposal because they're so inconsistent with it, but if the alternative is HTB anyway then we might as well attempt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back