Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

If the umpires are going to be that red hot on HTB calls when the players wrist is secured then we need to start training on what to do in those situations.

It's too risky for most of them to try and break their arm free in time to do a handball. Given the rules allow for an illegal disposal as long as a genuine attempt was made (stupid rule) we should be immediately looking to drop the ball onto the foot for a dinky kick and teammates should be anticipating that so they can get in straight away to get the groundball recovery.

I'm sure there will still be instances where it's still called illegal disposal because they're so inconsistent with it, but if the alternative is HTB anyway then we might as well attempt it.
I think the umpires need to pay just as much attention to when the tackles are laid. The one D'Ambrosio got caught with started before he'd even properly taken possession.

Agree, when he's fit he's one of the best defenders in the league (best non-KPD alongside Stewart, Ridley and Ryan). Elite interceptor and he generates so much ball movement for us with his kicking. The only time I'd want him to be moved up the ground is if he was copping the a defensive tag (like Stewart recently), or, like today, when he is struggling with his shoulder and could just sit in the square.

He's such a good player that IMO he could play anywhere (again, like Stewart). But playing him behind the ball is where he's needed the most.
Agreed on most parts but I cannot see Sic in the middle. We have Weddle wanting that moment.

Also, why put Sic in an area where being bashed about is normal.

If the Hawks have momentum then put him fwd. It is uncanny how fast Sic sees the drop of the ball from a kick and edges out his opponent. The guy is awesome… even when broken.

Kick ins make sense against sides like freo. Kick long to the flank, bring it to ground, spread.

It's against the likes of Geelong and Sydney it won't work
Mmm I dunno man... I know that's the aim, but Freo appeared to mark our kick-ins routinely today and it rarely works in my opinion (i gots no stats). To my eyes, we are consistently outmarked in those situations on a weekly basis - would like to see the stats if available.

One of the reasons i have been super impressed with Calsher Dear this year is that he's actually able to mark these kick-ins - he did it in his first game and it was how he got his first touch today (our first kick-in).

I would much rather we try and hit someone up, even if it is a bit shorter and then do our usual to try and shift their defence.

Calsher Dear popped up at very important times today with huge clunks and an opportunistic goal. I think the timing of these efforts was exactly when we needed something and it really got us going in the second term.
Massive credit to him, every game he looks more and more confident which is so exciting.

Weddle got thrown around a lot today and what is probably the most telling is that every position he played he was noticed. Always involved, whether it's just running along or putting on a block, his workrate is so good that he's such a weapon. We threw him into the ruck and he didn't look out of place, gave us an extra runner out of the stoppages and made Jackson look slow.

Sicily being thrown forward changed the game for mine. They clearly hadn't planned for that move, Sicily had an immediate impact with a contested mark and goal. They then had to shuffle their defence to limit his impact which meant Dear was able to find a bit of it but our smalls were able to get an extra step or two. Obviously we lifted in the middle after a poor third term but Sicily down there meant that structurally we looked more dangerous. I think with Lewis absent, we lack that key forward who can organise the forwards ahead of them. Sicily was always coaching out there and pointing players into position.

The summary: Mitchell coached phenomenonally today and it was the difference. Obviously the plan is only as good as it's executed but without these moves we likely would have been in very different moods right now.

Edit: Oh and Meek was outstanding today. Worked so hard in what felt like a very stoppage heavy game.
Calsher seems to have a nack for sensing the moments in the game to really push, his iq is only just coming to the fore. With a bit more size he gets another 2-3 chances of those missed marks. Already becoming a special player but just so surprised at how quickly his risen.

Just loves the contest, his everything you would want if you were drafting Jed Walter…

Calsher seems to have a nack for sensing the moments in the game to really push, his iq is only just coming to the fore. With a bit more size he gets another 2-3 chances of those missed marks. Already becoming a special player but just so surprised at how quickly his risen.

Just loves the contest, his everything you would want if you were drafting Jed Walter…
I think it is fair to say that Calsher has exceeded everyone’s expectations.

His launch and ability to meet the ball at its highest shows a level of ball tracking that, only 4 other Hawks have.

But Calsher also shows talent when the ball is on the deck.

The KeY thing to note here is that Calsher is just 18 years of age.

Aside: I read in Bigfooty that there was a guy who regularly towelled up Calsher in his under 18 years.

If you are that guy… try out for BoxHill.

And just quietly I think James Sicily is Captain of the Hawthorn Football Club for a long time yet to come.

What a bloody player he is, wins us multiple games with a busted shoulder and all Sheesh!

FIFY

NEVER IN DOUBT FLEABANE, NEVER IN DOOOUBT!!!!!

Shirt Streaker GIF by Bradford City AFC
Nothing surer! 😀 it was wonderful …

As a down thumb, it was an ordinary question. There may be positives, but Mitch improves us everyday

But the problem is that at the moment he doesn’t. We’ve not looked as good playing with him this year as we do with Calsh and Mabs alongside anger medium forward.

Last edited:
Don't let it get to you, it's a tough board some times. I'm one of those hard-arses but I reckon I can hear in your post you weren't bringing malicious intent to your question.
I get what you were trying to throw out there, which is really - has our game style and performance changed in way that doesn't suit Lewis being a focal point for the team, and perhaps we'll be more successful that way for the immediate future......

I don't actually disagree.
Not that I don't think we can be EVEN better with Mitch, but work on patterns and synergy between the forwards will take time to get to that point. That aint happening so late in this season.
This season, I actually DO believe we're better with the setup were running with minus Mitch.
It's a crappy feeling to have because I love the big fella and he was clearly a shining light when we were shite. But he's a ball dominant leading or hand-in-the-air fella that doesn't really work in great sequences with the other talls.

When everyone else was calling his return a lock, and I suggested he was more a chance, it was because I've never really believed he had returned to full fitness. Not just fitness either, but more importantly strength through his core and legs to provide stability to prevent further injury.

And I've got zero idea why you'd play him when this is still a development year for the team, as he was a clear risk to re-injure himself. And not the same risk every player faces, a far far far higher risk because of his wretched run with injuries and regular break downs at simple raising of loads and training.

The kid should have continued to play a half here and there in the VFL, with a rest week in between, over the remainder of the season at Box Hill, had a couple months off at the end, done a shit tonne of yoga and strengthening in the early off season, and then come back for a fresh pre-season.

I'm not a questioner of our Club's methodology re rehabilitating players, but it was clear as ****ing day that everyone within the coaching ranks would have been holding their breath at him lining up for the game against the Cats, instead of being supremely confident he was 100% ready for what was to come.

We were smart enough with Chad to know he hadn't cleared the injury bug, should have done similarly IMO with Lewis.
Yeah but that fall to ground was pretty freaky. Not something you’d expect to occur for such a big guy. Just absolute rotten luck.

I think the umpires need to pay just as much attention to when the tackles are laid. The one D'Ambrosio got caught with started before he'd even properly taken possession.

I think that is the point of the new interpretation though. Prior opportubity doesn't come into consideration anymore, all that matters is trying to get rid of the ball.

If the ball is free in a tackle you have to either throw your foot at it or try and sling yourself to the ground quick enough so that it doesn't appear you had time. Just standing their waiting like Mass did is stone cold HTB now unfortunately.

Does Weddle back up Meek in the Ruck now instead of Chol?? He really is that Blicavs mould.

Wiz was good - liked he was getting up the ground.

Midfield won the clearances. Meek was awesome.

Lots of mistakes from both sides but pressure was high.

Chol and Frenchie didn't have the best days.
Chol popped up at the right times with some handy goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the umpires are going to be that red hot on HTB calls when the players wrist is secured then we need to start training on what to do in those situations.

It's too risky for most of them to try and break their arm free in time to do a handball. Given the rules allow for an illegal disposal as long as a genuine attempt was made (stupid rule) we should be immediately looking to drop the ball onto the foot for a dinky kick and teammates should be anticipating that so they can get in straight away to get the groundball recovery.

I'm sure there will still be instances where it's still called illegal disposal because they're so inconsistent with it, but if the alternative is HTB anyway then we might as well attempt it.
Cyril often tackled the same way and it was ruled out. Interested to see how this will evolve.

I agree, I remember watching Carey back in the 90’s against teams and just when you thought the teams were getting the better of North, He would change the momentum in the 3rd qtr back to North by going to another level with his marks/goals, hopefully Dear can do that for us in the future.

Great win considering we didn’t bring our A game until the last quarter.

We lacked dare and run in the first half which played into Freos hands, we continued to kick long and didn’t have the aerial precence we usually have.
I thought that was Chols poorest performance for us to date in that regard, he just couldn’t bring the ball to ground level.
Cox killed us until they swung him forward.

I think we sent Weddle forward to try and negate their intercept game without much success

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that we look a much better side when we run and carry and take on the corridor.

I agree, I remember watching Carey back in the 90’s against teams and just when you thought the teams were getting the better of North, He would change the momentum in the 3rd qtr back to North by going to another level with his marks/goals, hopefully Dear can do that for us in the future.
Just quietly hoping for the next Wayne Carey.

One thing I really noticed seeing him live was the smooth goal kicking action of Chol is a joy to watch when he has the distance covered.
However when he is right on his limit he does not gather any extra momentum in his run up, twice he fell about a metre short.
Surely with just a very minor extra pep in his run up he could have made the distance.

I think that is the point of the new interpretation though. Prior opportubity doesn't come into consideration anymore, all that matters is trying to get rid of the ball.

If the ball is free in a tackle you have to either throw your foot at it or try and sling yourself to the ground quick enough so that it doesn't appear you had time. Just standing their waiting like Mass did is stone cold HTB now unfortunately.
I get that, but if the umpires are now interpreting it that way they need to be just as hot on when the tackle starts otherwise we'll see a lot more of what Switkowski did.

F***ing hell that was great. Stressful on my heart in the third and fourth quarters, but worth it in the end. 11th on the ladder, percentage out of the eight baby! Watson great pressure, deserved two goals (Calsh will be glad it wasn’t too close in the end), and pressure great. Sic amazing in the back and front lines. Who would’ve thought our key defender captain would go forward and kick three to win the game for us. One of chols worst game this season, couldn’t mark it or get the ball to ground. Day and Newc great in the midfield. Scrimma, Frosty nice keeping the backline up without Sic. Dear good with the two goals, an exceptional marker of the ball. Hopefully Mass is okay for next week and we can get Ginni back as well. Ward good back in the side, deserved his spot. Meek great in the ruck against an all Australian ruckman. Worpel and Jars consistent as always. Moore and Amon keeping out of the spotlight but still great. CMac and Hardwick had some questionable moments, but didn’t cost the game in the end luckily. Nice to have Breust back. Looking forward to Pies rematch next week, if we win it we’ll be above them on the ladder. The run home looks pretty f***ing nice at the moment. Can’t wait to see where we go, but one week at a time. Meek Monday coming up… then the Magpies. Most wins under Sammy in a year so far, and plenty still to come. Loving life as a Hokman.

Can't wait to see who will be malding more tonight on first crack, Kingy or Joey the floggers

It will be Fremantle lost the game by inaccurate kicking in front of goal which let the Hawks in, in a game they shouldn’t have lost if they have top 4 aspirations.

Also Meek did really well up against Luke Jackson he out muscled him at the contest, and what about Dear he just shows signs.

Wiz was exciting.

Next game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back