Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos x2, Moore (if he can get back to top form), IQ, Maynard, Hill is a decent core that you can build around for the next 3-4 years for a genuine tilt.

I think the sooner you can move on from Pendlebury the better. He's a legend of the game but his lack of speed on transition sticks out like dogs balls.

I'm with you - add JDG to the core.

Defensive system has been picked apart and the players have started playing it unconfidently - when it's a system that needs full throttle aggressive buy in - and pace is a big issue - but that can be turned around quickly - time to move on Pendles and Sidey and see if any club is interested in Lipinski.

Pendles and Sidebottom were terrible in the first half when the game was on the line.

We constantly get burnt by Pendles opponent from center bounces

Pendles saying he wants to go around again next year too

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

That’s it for us until the 30’s. No way we rebuild quickly with so many old players and no young players coming up except Nick. No draft early draft picks because of moronic trades done by a guy who couldn’t pick an apple in an orchard. Comprising drafts coming in with Tassie so there’s zero chance we see finals for the rest of this decade.

Leppa needs to go back to backline coach, none of this rotation of coaches to let them grow. The hippy dippy bullshit didn’t work and screwed us.

Can’t do anything about injuries that happens.

Lastly ffs can we recruit key position players not crap like Begg and Steene who are not rucks or keys.

September 2032 could be big the Brisbane Olympics and our return to finals.

That was a total club embarrassment and something coming all year.

Completely self satisfied all year, came in under prepared and thought things would happen again because they had previously and it would all work out in our favour.

Administration, coaching group, playing group, filled up on their bathwater but have now been brutally exposed.
Amen

I'm as pessimistic as they come (I am the guy that got ripped for suggesting we 'stole one' last year based on how difficult our injuries and form were to end 2023) - but this mob has pants'ed us my whole life. We almost never beat Hawthorn. I was at the one earlier this year in Adelaide and it was unconvincing to say the least.

They also systematically demolished us in 2023. Didn't end too bad for us.

Unfortunately this year we're at the other end of the ladder. You look at their team and they're full on young up and comers. We're full of ageing out good players and blokes half cooked from injury (De Goey, McStay, etc).

Also the Daicos boys have carried us all year and now there's no one else left to tag. It's just tag and destroy Nick and you'll not only win but win big. Cause no one else in the midfield can fire a shot.

I don't think all is lost but it is going to be a great test for fly and co to see us through an on the run rebuild.

Remember Chris Scott won in 2011 and then didn't get back there until 2020, where they were embarrassed and had several stars ageing out. Then they get back there 2022 and destroy Sydney, yet haven't looked the same since. For all Geelong's success, they've had 2 flags in the last 13 years and have been in one more grand final than us, if I am remembering correct (in that same time frame).
Good post.

There are teams who are on the up it seems, but it doesn’t guarantee them anything. The AFL has engineered a very close competition where fortunes can be heavily influenced by the draw and by injuries.

We have quality on the list, but we have gaps. Much of that is the result of being competitive for the last 6 seasons or so, similar to North under Scott. Last season we were the best team and rode our luck somewhat too. Teams have benchmarked us this season and injuries have bitten badly, so it has almost been a perfect storm.

The benefit of a season like this is that it lays everything bare and doesn’t afford anyone any excuses. Finishing in the bottom half while disappointing may in some ways be better than scraping into the 8 and being a non-entity in finals.

Ginnivan is still a good player acting like a clown. Easier to get away with such behaviour in a small club who don’t attract clicks for the media. While we miss the pest factor on field we don’t miss the sideshow off field
Glad we traded the Flog

Daicos x2, Moore (if he can get back to top form), IQ, Maynard, Hill is a decent core that you can build around for the next 3-4 years for a genuine tilt.

I think the sooner you can move on from Pendlebury the better. He's a legend of the game but his lack of speed on transition sticks out like dogs balls.
With all due respect, how does that look compared to the contenders at the moment?

We won a flag last year with a list far from the top talent, we're a system based team and have been exposed this year.

Yeah you could point to injuries, but it's not the only problem, our system has been worked out, and even given last year our system is flawed in that it's not sustainable week in week out for a whole season.

The difference last year we were able to tempo the game when we wanted to. That was clearly evident in the finals series, this year because we aren't applying the manic pressure (because we can't sustain it), we may have patches where we score but when the momentum swings we're exposed.

We aren't contending anytime soon. You can bookmark this post.

I'm with you - add JDG to the core.

Defensive system has been picked apart and the players have started playing it unconfidently - when it's a system that needs full throttle aggressive buy in - and pace is a big issue - but that can be turned around quickly - time to move on Pendles and Sidey and see if any club is interested in Lipinski.

Forgot about JDG. Had a 5 minute burst where he was back to his best today. If he is fully fit he is close to a top 10 player in the comp. I rate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its better that our season is over now and we can begin planning for the future rather than dragging out the season to no benefit.

From here:
  • let some injured guys rest and get their body right : JDG, Cox, Pendles, whoever else
  • play the 50/50 guys and make a decision on them one way or another: McRae, Long, Reef, Frampton, Dean, Kreuger, Sulli
  • trade whatever we can for a very capable key back
  • draft hard for some tough strong mids, even if we have to grab a few lower picks and hope, at least one in and under mid

We constantly get burnt by Pendles opponent from center bounces

The fact that we rely on Pendlebury to attend centre bounces is more the problem.

Glad we traded the Flog
Everyone will focus on Ginni killing us and becoming a solid role player for Hawks.

Reality is that what may not get thought of is that he may well have needed a trade from Collingwood to elsewhere (the team he grew up supporting, no less!) to turn him in to whatever he becomes. He also fits their window perfectly. He had a great game today but he will be a very good/solid role player in the Stevie Milne archetype (love to hate him) for the next decade.

The second part of that sentence is the most important.We don’t have a decent head recruiter.He is way past his prime and needs to go now.

I said earlier in the Game Day thread that I have no idea how Hine is the only one left from the Maguire era.

I have no idea why we kept a head recruiter who is allergic to recruiting key position players and genuine class that isn't father son.

We have butchered a staggering amount of first round picks under Hine.

That 2013 Draft is absolutely HAUNTING when you go back and look at what we took and what went after what we took.

• Patrick Cripps
  • Zach Merrett
  • Alex Pearce
  • Aliir Aliir
  • Nick Holman
  • James Sicily
  • Karl Amon

That's just the main ones. All came well after our first two pick inside the Top 10

Some of those even came after our LATER picks.

The player we're missing most is Murphy. Our defense has never been the same without him. Cox is also a big out. We're getting murdered at stoppages especially when Cameron is not rucking.

McCreery and Schultz big omissions as well. Our forwards just aren't locking the footy inside our F50 without them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back