Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Crisp, Sidey, Pendles, and Howe among our best players today.
That's a big part of the problem - our old codgers are still better than the players we have pushing up.
Now that the season is done, we need to see which of the kids are worth persisting with.

Biggest losing margin under Fly.

2024 is done. Time to write it off and start preparing for 2025.

They keep going with the old Pendles, Degoey and Steele set up with Nick D.

Moore keeps double fisting uncontested marks 3-4 times this game. Noble thought fk it if Moore can I want to too.

Attack on the ball is often lacklustre and 2nd to it or stagnant except for ND who is pften on the move.

Wingers and small defenders don't know what's going on with their opponents loose asf.

SSP Selections just don't look up to it.

SPendles and Steele look old and slow mostly despite having a few moments in games, if you look beyond that they are getting burnt badly by opponents.

Howe and WHE both struggling.

I'd honestly play Moore forward for rest of season.

We did exceptionally well to snatch a Premiership last year with a seriously flawed list which was already over-reliant on too many aging warriors. Thankfully - miraculously - those aging warriors turned back the clock for one glorious season but now reality has set in.

Our recruiters and list managers (who set the contracts) have seriously damaged our list over the past decade. Aside from the obvious Nick Daicos, we have no young talent coming through and no draft picks or valuable tradable players from which to rebuild.

But we won a Premiership. Much better than to be like Brisbane, GWS and Port who have been near the top for a decade and have no Flags to show for it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, but Geelong doesn’t give away (pick 6) first round draft picks for a player that would have become a free agent in 3 months.
And they don't give away a wily forward with footy smarts, and a draft pick, for 3 magic beans.
We can’t rebuild. We have ageing players that are at or near the end, and role players that are slow, and only one or two younger players that might make it..
🥲

Pies were in the same spot in 2013… brought in value players like howe, crisp,

Drafted value players like Maynard,

A bit of luck needed… but with retiring veterans sone serious cap will be freed up for free agents

… playing for a big club with Fly as coach is a plus for attracting talent ✅

It's because he can't play anywhere else.

Too slow to play defense, not a goal kicking threat.

He's a champion but right now he's a liability in the midfield. He has slowed down massively.
I love Pendles, but I'm starting to wonder whether he should retire at the end of the season. I'd hate to see him really struggling next year, and the club not wanting to drop him. He deserves a dignified exit.

Crisp, Sidey, Pendles, and Howe among our best players today.

That's a big part of the problem - our old codgers are still better than the players we have pushing up.
Now that the season is done, we need to see which of the kids are worth persisting with.

Interesting take I disagree they were, Steele 2nd half was decent but got burnt first half. Pendles looks slow and old miles off it largely.

Howe was beaten in defense looked better forward.
Crisp also had a midling game and his opponent did him for speed which is a fair effort admittedly.

I said earlier in the Game Day thread that I have no idea how Hine is the only one left from the Maguire era.

I have no idea why we kept a head recruiter who is allergic to recruiting key position players and genuine class that isn't father son.

We have butchered a staggering amount of first round picks under Hine.

That 2013 Draft is absolutely HAUNTING when you go back and look at what we took and what went after what we took.

• Patrick Cripps
  • Zach Merrett
  • Alex Pearce
  • Aliir Aliir
  • Nick Holman
  • James Sicily
  • Karl Amon

That's just the main ones. All came well after our first two pick inside the Top 10

Some of those even came after our LATER picks.
That’s all so true.And didn’t we have 5 picks in the top 30 of the 2020 draft,which was supposed to start a rebuild of the club?What happened to those picks?I reckon most of them have been delisted by now,or haven’t made the grade.

We already are aren’t we?

Today we played:

Richards
Long
Krueger
McInnis (full game!)

Ginnivan is a superb forward and made a mockery of our joke club’s decision making. Good on him and I wish him the very best in the future
A quote from your Post on 13/12/23

“The Schultz acquisition was seen as an upgrade on Ginnivan, which is true, however I think a more accurate assessment is that he's the long-term Elliott replacement”

So Ginnivan might be superb footballer but by your own words not as good as Schultz.

I'm with you - add JDG to the core.

Defensive system has been picked apart and the players have started playing it unconfidently - when it's a system that needs full throttle aggressive buy in - and pace is a big issue - but that can be turned around quickly - time to move on Pendles and Sidey and see if any club is interested in Lipinski.
Lipinski is smooth as silk and a beautiful kick. He’s not the one to move on. The problem is we don’t have a mix of fast legs in the midfield. When you’ve got nothing but one paced players in the midfield the team suffers. Even Nick Daicos is down on output because he doesn’t have any support around him.

The previous two seasons we got through off the back of an absolute elite defensive set up. We would often lose the clearance differential but the backline repelled the entries and kick started the quick movement forward.

The backline has struggled this year and so have we. Forward line often playing with only 1 or no legit tall.

It’s not our year, player availability has hurt. Like most teams we are a team that needs to be healthy to compete.

Anyone who needs end of season surgery book them in this week and start playing young guys.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A quote from your Post on 13/12/23

“The Schultz acquisition was seen as an upgrade on Ginnivan, which is true, however I think a more accurate assessment is that he's the long-term Elliott replacement”

So Ginnivan might be superb footballer but by your own words not as good as Schultz.
you're slipping, you forgot to quote the post number.

Am I allowed to be negative about the club after today or are am I going to be told to go back to my negative nancy group. But hey we only lost by 11 goals so it’s all butterflies and daises down at Collingwood.
on Monday, you wont be able to tell whether we won or lost............................

Despite the effort 1.12 should have been 6-7 goals at half time. That inaccuracy meant there was too much to do in the last half. Damage was done before the 5 goals in junk time

Just did not handle the wet. Poor selection going in too tall they were cleaner and adapted better using the boundary and defending and kicking to space.
Collingwood kept trying to kick.to.targets and zone which didn't work in wet weather.
Had this feeling before the game
Mcstay was OK but never a day for talls. Thou moot after Kruger was subbed but damage was done

Yeah, that 0.5cm was all the difference.

Screenshot (15).png

We did exceptionally well to snatch a Premiership last year with a seriously flawed list which was already over-reliant on too many aging warriors. Thankfully - miraculously - those aging warriors turned back the clock for one glorious season but now reality has set in.

Our recruiters and list managers (who set the contracts) have seriously damaged our list over the past decade. Aside from the obvious Nick Daicos, we have no young talent coming through and no draft picks or valuable tradable players from which to rebuild.

But we won a Premiership. Much better than to be like Brisbane, GWS and Port who have been near the top for a decade and have no Flags to show for it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree on all of the above.

One thing I want to point out though is that the club averages a grand final every 5 odd years, and so often without the most talented side/list.

We just find a way.

Interesting take I disagree they were, Steele 2nd half was decent but got burnt first half. Pendles looks slow and old miles off it largely.

Howe was beaten in defense looked better forward.
Crisp also had a midling game and his opponent did him for speed which is a fair effort admittedly.

He had Dear subbed out. Issue was we went in with a punch it mentality assumedly due to the weather, but we had them beaten in the air and the threat was at ground level - where we were massacred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back