Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don’t know. Seems to me people want Fly to explain to them why the sky’s falling in, why it happened and how they are going to fix it when all that’s happened is a few clouds have passed over.

But half the point of those pressers is to address what's going on

Be it good or bad. The pressers often give us an insight into things going on. Plenty of news stories have come from pressers. Unknown injuries, personal life issues we didn't know about etc etc.

Again, almost the entire point of the press conference is for us ultimately. Is it not? The media are the ones who attend, they take the information, put it in the paper and on websites...for us.

If we take Hardwick as an example, while I wouldn't ask or expect Fly to ever say "We need to grow the f**k up as a football club" at least I as a Gold Coast supporter (if I was one) know from that one comment that he's acutely aware of their home and away form issues, is genuinely irate about it and is most likely looking to address it.

Yeah, he may not figure it out. Which happens. But at least they directly know that the issue is acknowledged and they're not happy about it. It's something.

My issue is mostly around him saying almost near identical things to when we're winning. It makes his words seem hollow.

Yeah I don’t know. Seems to me people want Fly to explain to them why the sky’s falling in, why it happened and how they are going to fix it when all that’s happened is a few clouds have passed over.
What the mentally weak that run amok on this board after a loss want is for their hand to be held by Fly because they can't deal with disappointment.

They sook about our premiership coach making a one line comment at a presser like it actually means something.

Be it good or bad. The pressers often give us an insight into things going on. Plenty of news stories have come from pressers. Unknown injuries, personal life issues we didn't know about etc etc.

Again, almost the entire point of the press conference is for us ultimately. Is it not? The media are the ones who attend, they take the information, put it in the paper and on websites...for us.

If we take Hardwick as an example, while I wouldn't ask or expect Fly to ever say "We need to grow the f**k up as a football club" at least I as a Gold Coast supporter (if I was one) know from that one comment that he's acutely aware of their home and away form issues, is genuinely irate about it and is most likely looking to address it.

Yeah, he may not figure it out. Which happens. But at least they directly know that the issue is acknowledged and they're not happy about it. It's something.

My issue is mostly around him saying almost near identical things to when we're winning. It makes his words seem hollow.
Fair enough. I just don’t get that feeling I guess.

It's like you've never listened to the always consistent message from Fly to act like winners.

The coaches are made to do the pressers and wouldn't do them unless they were forced to. When they do them they, the good ones, like to repeat their message.

It seems to be all about what you want.

It's like you've never listened to the always consistent message from Fly to act like winners.

The coaches are made to do the pressers and wouldn't do them unless they were forced to. When they do them they, the good ones, like to repeat their message.

It seems to be all about what you want.

Look...can you just put me on ignore? Or just flat out ignore me completely?

You have absolutely NFI what you're talking about and you're the absolute worst kind of forum poster who spouts nothing but ad hominem bullshit because you can't get your head out of your ass long enough to actually bother reading the posts of the people you don't like and absolutely no ability to grasp context, nuance or even have a little bit of fun every now and again...unless it's someone you like.

Not sure I agree completely there

If I was to hear something more along the lines of, "We don't seem to be connected, now we need to address the root of why this is happening when it wasn't an issue for the last two seasons"

As opposed to

"We're not standing still, we're getting better every day"

Would at least let people know that he's acknowledging the problem and is working towards working out the issue that isn't miserable, isn't him getting angry, still remaining positive but at least providing supporters (who he himself directly addresses frequently in pressers) some kind of direct confirmation that a real issue is acknowledged and being addressed

Then we have the on field results that should technically hold him to account for that

So if we still continue to get worse, then clearly they haven't figured out the issue. But at least they haven't thrown platitudes in our face after it.

It's mostly optics ultimately and I understand that, but half this business is about optics isn't it? The media wouldn't have a job otherwise.
He's talked about us lacking connection at nearly every recent press conference.

Let's face it, you're simply triggered because he says "getting better" rather than "trying to get better".

The thing you don't understand is that it is intentional, as there is a fair bit of psyhological theory behind why he is choosing "getting better" rather than "trying to get better."

Like most other modern coaching crews - at every level of sport - we've bought into the theories of positive psychology, because it's been getting good results at every level of sport.

Look...can you just put me on ignore? Or just flat out ignore me completely?

You have absolutely NFI what you're talking about and you're the absolute worst kind of forum poster who spouts nothing but ad hominem bullshit because you can't get your head out of your ass long enough to actually bother reading the posts of the people you don't like and absolutely no ability to grasp context, nuance or even have a little bit of fun every now and again...unless it's someone you like.
Nice little tanty!

giphy.gif

Nice little tanty!

giphy.gif
Nah to be fair to Cousin of Daicos you just seem to be arguing for the sake of it rather than giving any consideration to his points.

I popped over here to see what the activity was about and can conclusively say yes, this R19 game is well and truly dead :D

Nah to be fair to Cousin of Daicos you just seem to be arguing for the sake of it rather than giving any consideration to his points.

I popped over here to see what the activity was about and can conclusively say yes, this R19 game is well and truly dead :D
I've considered his posts to be stupid

I'd wager part of Fly's job is to do that?

Otherwise why even have press conferences? Why interact with fans at all?

You understand this sport doesn't exist without fans and members yeah? Like, everything is literally about the fans and members. Which is also why you see Fly stare down the barrel of the camera during pressers and directly address us?

You do understand that coaches have to attend post match press conferences don’t you?

CoD gets into these arguments because when he disagrees with something the coaches or clubs do/does, he assumes they are coming from a position of incompetence and complains, rather than assuming competence and trying to work out why the club has done something different to what he would have done.

If you can't assume competence with tour coaching groups short record, then you need to have a think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree to disagree. I'm more than happy with that. FP.

Sure, you understand my point though right? Good decisions can end up bad. Bad ones end up good results. There's no mechanical line -- so everything is a bet. Which means you can't say: we would never have ended up here if it weren't' for this one factor. Luck, other people's decisions, etc all play a part.

Sure, you understand my point though right? Good decisions can end up bad. Bad ones end up good results. There's no mechanical line -- so everything is a bet. Which means you can't say: we would never have ended up here if it weren't' for this one factor. Luck, other people's decisions, etc all play a part.
I'm more than happy with my own point of view on the Grundy matter.

You do understand that coaches have to attend post match press conferences don’t you?

Yeah...and?

Fly still interacts outside of that. I mean, no other coach has been "all about the fans" than Fly right?

Oh this is 100% what they do

Just look up the "bitch eating crackers" meme and it's an eerily accurate reflection of how a certain handful of posters here interact with me.

Yeah...and?

Fly still interacts outside of that. I mean, no other coach has been "all about the fans" than Fly right?

And I can't recall a time in the 60 years I've been following the Pies that the club has been more engaging with supporters. I'm not sure what more you expect. Every coach uses very similar language in all their media work. It's modern football. It says more about the coach when they stray from message than it does about the coach rolling out the party line. It's the same speel you get from subordinates and players. Sounds like a very united club to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back