Review Round 2 versus Richmond, the autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvey keeps because he is Bucks Best Mates. Both Useless Coaches

He has this insane theory that by playing the same guys at every stoppage they develop a more instinctive understanding of each others game.

It comes from him and Burke playing 250 games with each other on ball and basically playing telepathically.

It's why these few guys rack up the stats week after week when he is coaching while the rest play on the edges and essentially pinch hit.

I was over the moon when he missed the Saints job and walked out.

Dust off, start again.
Next week is another game.

There's a hiring method that I once heard of where the manager in charge of the process throws half the resumes in the bin and says we don't want them because they're unlucky. The moral of the story is that being lucky also plays a role in being successful.

Look no further than the 2010 GF and Milne's bounce without it MM is up there with Bob Rose as a coach that just couldn't get it done with 4 GF losses in charge. Ultimately I'd prefer someone that's lucky and mediocre in the role than someone who's unlucky and mediocre...
I don't disagree. At this point I'll take anything because when I see us lose to sides like we lost to tonight I tend to lose all hope. Forgetting clubs for a minute, the quality of the match I saw tonight would be right up there with the worst I've ever seen barring those played under 6 inches of mud. I've played in higher standard matches... easily!

WHE appears to be smart enough to outplay opposition and quite simply knows how to place the ball inside 50. Guess thats what happens when you come from outside of a club that doesnt have every possible decision you have to make drilled into your head by the coaches because they think thats their job as mentors! Give some freedom to the players figjam, not map out their entire decision making pattern because its only giving them the inability to think for themselves.

All the pressure on collingwood right now is doing absolutely no favours to the club and its only a matter of time before it implodes.

Anyone blaming players inability to kick is short sighted. If only he kicked that goal! If only he held onto that mark!

Its the same as saying if only Moore would never drop a mark and kick 150 goals a season we'd never lose!! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

For the most part collingwood consists of all afl standard players. They can all kick, they can all handball, they can all run. But that doesn't mean they can play cohesively as a team and its up to the coaches to facilitate that, thats the bottom line. And sure it doesn't always happen - after all there can only be one winner at the end of the season but thats why coaches get sacked and replaced by someone who has a different outlook, and buckley is next in line along with his cronies. Hes had more than enough time to show something.
If people are pointing to individual moments, yes you are right. But we are talking about players who miss consistently over a match.
Explain to me how poor conversion of set shots are a coaching failure. A Fasolo from last season would have won us that game easily.

The defense held together well, IMO, given how exposed we were on a couple of turnovers.

The spread from the contest was real bad at times especially exiting the back half where we just refused to use the width of the ground on the switch. Then there was the lack of angle options to spread the Tigers defense.

Changing angles makes us less predictable and harder for the opposition to prevent the overlap. Too often they forced long down the line. Treloar touched on the ball movement in his post match interview on SEN and confirmed we didn't move it how we wanted, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway because the forwards probably would have just burned the shot :(

With Sydney to come up there things look bleak, but it isn't just about the win loss either we are just so hard to enjoy watching. One thing we have to prioritise Grundy's signature immediately forget attracting players just get him signed up...
In spite of how things went down last season, the SCG might suit us the way things are going atm

There's a hiring method that I once heard of where the manager in charge of the process throws half the resumes in the bin and says we don't want them because they're unlucky. The moral of the story is that being lucky also plays a role in being successful.

Look no further than the 2010 GF and Milne's bounce without it MM is up there with Bob Rose as a coach that just couldn't get it done with 4 GF losses in charge. Ultimately I'd prefer someone that's lucky and mediocre in the role than someone who's unlucky and mediocre...

The coaches job is to minimise 'luck' by employing you know, a strategy. Preferably one that works! hahaha

Inside Football have their player ratings up on SEN's website.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/30/ratings-or-round-2-richmond-v-collingwood/

FYI:

Taylor ADAMS – 7

Combative, bullocking game; suited by the scrappy contest. Eight tackles an indication of his work-rate.

James AISH – 2

Returned on a wing but still looks (and plays) like a first-year player. Lacks penetration in his play.

Jarryd BLAIR – 1

Totally ineffective for the second week running. Give Daicos a game.

Tim BROOMHEAD – 4

Lively opening (first goal) and did enough to persevere with. Been in the system long enough to be making his mark.

Jack CRISP – 3

Struggling for clean possession and often looks as though he miskicks the ball.

Alex FASOLO – 3

Has replaced Cloke as the momentum drainer in the Magpie attack: 0.6 from set shots this season.

Tyson GOLDSACK – 6

Blanketed Riewoldt in the first half but found the going much harder thereafter.

Brodie GRUNDY – 7

Hands full with Nankervis but got on top as the game wore on. Fine running goal in third term

Will HOSKIN-ELLIOTT – 6

Showed a touch of class and three goals from half forward kept the Pies in it.

Jeremy HOWE – 8

His proprioception (look it up) is the best in the league. In All-Australian nick as a defender with the lot.

Brayden MAYNARD – 4

On Lennon and lowered his colours. Still giving away rookie free kicks (including a late one that cost a crucial goal).

Chris MAYNE – 3

One nice goal on half time but missed sitter after a great tackle soon after. Not enough from the half million-dollar man.

Darcy MOORE – 5

A bit nippy for Rance and won the ball on the lead, but made only one of three gettable shots.

Scott PENDLEBURY – 8

Usual proportion of deft touches among 32 disposals; almost dragged his teammates over the line with a superb final term.

Tom PHILLIPS – 5

Picked up Edwards, who gave him grief early, but fought well and often in the chain running it out of defence.

Jackson RAMSAY – 2

Lively if a bit fumbly and only three kicks to his name out of a back pocket. Wouldn’t be happy with his game.

Ben REID – 7

Controlled the air at centre half back. Tiger forwards were reduced to taking improbable flies to counter he and Howe.

Henry SCHADE – 6

No job too difficult is his motto. Left foot is safe and he gets far more involved in attack than his departed predecessor Brown.

Steele SIDEBOTTOM – 4

Started brightly, as he so often does, but became a non-factor. Only eight kicks not enough from his wing.

Josh SMITH – 6

Better than opening round at half back. Won the ball well and his right boot is very safe (16 kicks from 19 disposals).

Adam TRELOAR – 8

Proving well worth the two first-round picks the Pies sacrificed (and he’s all paid up now); 35 disposals and two fine goals.

Jesse WHITE – 7

Again the Pies’ best forward. Suddenly showing footy smarts (apart from a late bump) to go with his athleticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Football have their player ratings up on SEN's website.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/30/ratings-or-round-2-richmond-v-collingwood/

FYI:

Taylor ADAMS – 7

Combative, bullocking game; suited by the scrappy contest. Eight tackles an indication of his work-rate.

James AISH – 2

Returned on a wing but still looks (and plays) like a first-year player. Lacks penetration in his play.

Jarryd BLAIR – 1

Totally ineffective for the second week running. Give Daicos a game.

Tim BROOMHEAD – 4

Lively opening (first goal) and did enough to persevere with. Been in the system long enough to be making his mark.

Jack CRISP – 3

Struggling for clean possession and often looks as though he miskicks the ball.

Alex FASOLO – 3

Has replaced Cloke as the momentum drainer in the Magpie attack: 0.6 from set shots this season.

Tyson GOLDSACK – 6

Blanketed Riewoldt in the first half but found the going much harder thereafter.

Brodie GRUNDY – 7

Hands full with Nankervis but got on top as the game wore on. Fine running goal in third term

Will HOSKIN-ELLIOTT – 6

Showed a touch of class and three goals from half forward kept the Pies in it.

Jeremy HOWE – 8

His proprioception (look it up) is the best in the league. In All-Australian nick as a defender with the lot.

Brayden MAYNARD – 4

On Lennon and lowered his colours. Still giving away rookie free kicks (including a late one that cost a crucial goal).

Chris MAYNE – 3

One nice goal on half time but missed sitter after a great tackle soon after. Not enough from the half million-dollar man.

Darcy MOORE – 5

A bit nippy for Rance and won the ball on the lead, but made only one of three gettable shots.

Scott PENDLEBURY – 8

Usual proportion of deft touches among 32 disposals; almost dragged his teammates over the line with a superb final term.

Tom PHILLIPS – 5

Picked up Edwards, who gave him grief early, but fought well and often in the chain running it out of defence.

Jackson RAMSAY – 2

Lively if a bit fumbly and only three kicks to his name out of a back pocket. Wouldn’t be happy with his game.

Ben REID – 7

Controlled the air at centre half back. Tiger forwards were reduced to taking improbable flies to counter he and Howe.

Henry SCHADE – 6

No job too difficult is his motto. Left foot is safe and he gets far more involved in attack than his departed predecessor Brown.

Steele SIDEBOTTOM – 4

Started brightly, as he so often does, but became a non-factor. Only eight kicks not enough from his wing.

Josh SMITH – 6

Better than opening round at half back. Won the ball well and his right boot is very safe (16 kicks from 19 disposals).

Adam TRELOAR – 8

Proving well worth the two first-round picks the Pies sacrificed (and he’s all paid up now); 35 disposals and two fine goals.

Jesse WHITE – 7

Again the Pies’ best forward. Suddenly showing footy smarts (apart from a late bump) to go with his athleticism.

Few good Laughs there

If people are pointing to individual moments, yes you are right. But we are talking about players who miss consistently over a match.
Explain to me how poor conversion of set shots are a coaching failure. A Fasolo from last season would have won us that game easily.
Firstly, I didn't say it was poor conversion if you compare it to players that are considered the best forwards its actually great conversion. Secondly its NOT a coaching failure. My point is that our scoring is completely irrelevant to why we're a shit team.

Two observations from a neutral fan -

Secondly; Bucks is doing to Moore what Malthouse did to Josh Fraser. Killing him with these games super early in his development. He fights hard and gives his all but he is getting smashed by bigger bodies and it's going to burn him out.

Josh was a pretty good player but never became the star he promised to become because his body was so beaten by his 25th birthday.

Good luck for the rest of the season guys.

Agree,
Josh looked like a 43 year old by the time he celebrated his 26th birthday. Sigh, what did we do to that poor guy.

And back to the Moore point, we should keep developing him in the VFL against sub standard opposition. He will develop quicker and grow confidence by kicking lots and lots of goals rather than playing him on the likes of Rance in the AFL.

4 pages in and no one is talking about Treloar's bad kicking and bad kicking action! Rose coloured glasses anyone?! Momentum killers those kicks! They were worse than Clokes shanks! How is it that we can't develop good kicks!

Apart from the one or two flashy goals a game very few of Treloar's kicks actually hurts the opposition...I'm afraid the AT publicity team has got ahead of reality. As for Sidey, he was, is and always will be a receiver, same for Crisp...they can't get Levi back into the middle quick enough I reckon. I'll be amazed if Blairy plays next week... we only have one KPF, who is a skinny kid.. no fullback, Schade is a HBF being asked to fight above his weight and Reid looks like he needs several more weeks to get back into the swing of things. Grundy deserves a medal...Fas and Mayne deserve a good kick up the arse but at least they did get the ball. WHE improving while both Aish and Broomy seemed to struggle with the pace and pressure of the game. Maynard & Ramsey had nights to forget... If we'd kicked straight in the first half who knows..

You've hit the nail on the head. In many ways it wasn't too dissimilar to the Bulldogs game the week prior, however, it looked worse because Richmond are so much worse than the Dogs.

The quality of the game overall was just frustrating to say the least.

On another note... how was Pendles' one handed mark? Could've used 2 hands but still.
yep, not bad ;-) there were some highlights, but overshadowed by way too many lowlights :-(

This is not going to be a long rebuild. Our midfield is good, our forward line is good on paper. When Elliot comes back him and Fasolo will be good together and Hoskin Elliot should only play up forward and not in the back line.

Moore will be a good footballer and White has been sold since mid season last year.

We lack a key defender big time and running back flankers. We really need to recruit a key back man. Half back flankers aren't very hard to get and we already have a few developing that will take time. Scharenberg is one.

This cattle with a good game plan will be very good as hard as it is to believe right now.

Our shots on goal hurt us but we also won a flag of being bad at goal kicking. What hurts is the most is how easy teams move the ball from their kick outs after we miss and how quickly they are going inside 50 exposing our defenders. A good coach with a good gameplan stops that in fact a good coach would have fixed it after 3 years of that happening every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2 versus Richmond, the autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back