Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it just me, or did the centre bounce after the Daniel’s goal, that then led to the Hogan goal, look like it went outside the centre circle by a metre or so?
Both rucks were able to compete so they deem it ok

I’ll say it again, Ward ain’t up to it. Has all the skill in the world but continually struggles to get decent possessions. Doesn’t deserve a game in front of maginess and McKenzie

We desperately need another quality mid who can step up when our primary mids struggle

We obviously need Barass but hate that we will probably give a top ten pick to get him across

Losing two games in one season by giving up 4/5 goal leads at 3/4 time really isn't great TBH.

I think having Harry coming in on a sub halfway through the 3rd would have given us the extra run we needed to push through the last quarter.

Any side that doesn’t have a speedy mid as a sub, is doing it wrong.
This ‘sub out a mid sized forward for a slightly smaller forward’ is just trash.

Umpiring was appalling in the final quarter. Gave them momentum and we weren’t good enough to get it back. Uncharacteristically poor games from a few of best performers this season.

Disappointing we did nothing to quell Whitfield. Guy hates contact yet we let him run on his own. That is prob our finals chance gone unless we win out.

All match. Funny she could only mention that we last won against GWS through controversial decisions. Than hams up that we lost to Port in similar circumstances, without mentioning that too was won by Port by poor time keeping.

So you may think it was at the end, I say it was throughout the match

she is hard work

The season is catching up with the kids. Simple as that. The breakaway from stoppages almost non existent. We rope a doped as long as we could. No shame in the loss.
Given how many players played well below their best and we led GWS for 90% of the game, there's a lot of positives to take in to next week.
And a final note...I know we want to play finals but mostly everyone had us bottom 4 this year. This season is already a resounding success with 3 weeks left. Enjoy the ride. It ain't over yet

Well that was painful. Season over in a quarter. We were never going to win the flag but the disappointing thing is that it’s made our final three games dead rubbers. Next week was set up to be a huge game but there truth is we can’t make finals now. It’s mathematically possible but it would involve Carlton losing to west coast and stkilda which ain’t going to happen.

You just contradicted yourself.

If any season is one that we are still in with a chance its this one.

Must win the last 3 obviously. But there are a couple of teams that can be caught.

I’ll say it again, Ward ain’t up to it. Has all the skill in the world but continually struggles to get decent possessions. Doesn’t deserve a game in front of maginess and McKenzie

We desperately need another quality mid who can step up when our primary mids struggle

We obviously need Barass but hate that we will probably give a top ten pick to get him across

Ward didn't get a chance to play in the middle today. He was mainly played on the wing.

Day was well held. Worpel quiet.

It wasn't Wards best game today. Thought he had some poor efforts 1 on 1 but I wouldn't be bemoaning the fact our midfield got smashed in the last on Ward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That stings. They are a really good side and it's disappointing we couldn't seal the deal .

Thought we played OK but in patches and had a real feel of leaving the door open to a quality side . We looked fumble all game.

To be here after 0-5 is brilliant , reality is we may not be quite ready mentally and a bit physically for finals . No shame in that at this point of our development.

So close , yet so far . Bring on the bluebaggers

Ran out of steam in that last quarter well and truly, looked short after Dears sub, and once the giants got going Hawthorn didn’t match the level. Need to win all games from here to be a chance at finals, still a good chance just harder, key against Carlton.

Last edited:
Had nothing to do with Bruest and Gunston. They played well. It was downfield and the unwillingness to take the game on in the last quarter a la Port Adelaide.
Breust a part from the amazing as always pack read goal, looked to barely move. They walked away from him.

Day had his worst game by a long way.

Our style relies on full field pressure, it's very noticeable when we have a few off.

Umpiring was appalling in the final quarter. Gave them momentum and we weren’t good enough to get it back. Uncharacteristically poor games from a few of best performers this season.

Disappointing we did nothing to quell Whitfield. Guy hates contact yet we let him run on his own. That is prob our finals chance gone unless we win out.
A zone/press doesn't work if you pull one player out to tag a HBF. Goals from def 50 are from lack of forward pressure.

Ward played on a wing most of the day without previous CBA opportunities, and as with Jiath both quiet.

Such a poor reactionary comment. Ignoring how he stood up last week when Adelaide were closing in the second quarter and was key in breaking it open with Day going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back