Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

POSITIVES

+ 4 Quarters of football away from W.A

+Maric, Chesser, Hewett, Long L.Edwards. J.Williams, Hough. The youngsters are showing some real growth this year. The year hasn't been a complete waste.

+Yeo. Please mate, stay on the park. You have a few good years left in you and i'd love to see you go out in style.
+Gov. See above.

+Petch. Gee he looks good around the pack. Worth persisting with part time, even next year.
+Duggan. A few shit kicks but was very good today.

+We lost......just... (for the greater good)

NEGATIVES

-We lost and boys looked shattered but it's for the greater good. We are not a 2 win team if fit and next year we should be looking at some more wins with a few of our vets on the park. 🤞

-My neighbors probably think i'm bi-polar after the last 5 minutes of that game.

I love Maric. Just the way he moves and his intelligence by foot is pretty great for a kid of his age and experience.

With a big preseason and being settled into one side he is set for a big 2024 I reckon.

Ryan Maric is an absolute ripper. He's a KPP and he's not yet 19. Two months ago, his big achievement was playing two games in the VFL. Now he's kicking clutch goals in the AFL. His development has been rapid. Excited about what he can do with a pre-season under his belt. Pre-draft, he basically made the comment... "Look at what I've achieved in the past few months by myself. Imagine what I can do as a full-time professional."

In a year where we're staring down receiving the best young talent in the country, the thing I'm most excited about seeing is what Maric can do after a proper professional off and preseason.

Hopefully Culley's rehab goes well, Maric putting in an offseason like Jai just did along with the offseason effort you know we'll get from Jai and Reuben will be quite incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest negative- supporters on here cheering for a loss from a team that is growing quickly
See it how you want too but supporters cheering for a loss at this stage in the season have a good eye on the future and a football brain that knows that.
Especially with the draft being seriously compromised this year and over the last 5 years unless you've been living under a rock and have no idea. Free agency Compos,Academy picks, priority picks. We have become the most disadvantaged side in the comp. This clubs pride and just hoping to build a list from late draft picks isn't going to cut it anymore. Will take us 20 years to build a premiership side. We need pick 1 not pick 5.

If we don't it will be North having pick 1 and 2 compo, GC with J Walters academy and Sanders priority pick.
Lets not get started on how far our second round pick will get pushed back.
currently pick 19 but that will likely be pushed back to pick 26-27 if we don't finish last after all the comprised of the draft gets done.
We are going to be killing ourselves.
Be smart now, think about it, lets not be stupid.

Also not to mention North in the future if they get Reid pick 2 Sanders pick 19 will already go with the top talent they have been building over the years.
Luke Davis Uniake, Wardlaw, Sheezel Phillips, Reid, Sanders and Pick 2 being likely Curtin.

Tell me how it's going to feel when they obtain all that and wipe the floor with us over the next 10 years. We are in it for premierships and we need Reid now more then ever as once we mature likely the side who will also mature down a similar path and rise up the ladder will be North.

Last edited:
I love Maric. Just the way he moves and his intelligence by foot is pretty great for a kid of his age and experience.

With a big preseason and being settled into one side he is set for a big 2024 I reckon.
It’s probably just the ginger forward thing but for some reason he reminds me of Jack Riewoldt. He could turn out to be an absolute gun

Ryan Maric is an absolute ripper. He's a KPP and he's not yet 19. Two months ago, his big achievement was playing two games in the VFL. Now he's kicking clutch goals in the AFL. His development has been rapid. Excited about what he can do with a pre-season under his belt. Pre-draft, he basically made the comment... "Look at what I've achieved in the past few months by myself. Imagine what I can do as a full-time professional."
Whe we drafted Ryan he looked a flanker but he is developing and showing plenty. He will be great as a key forward.

A lot of positives in that. Some of my highlights:

• Fighting back after seeming destined to drift to a 10 goal loss late in the second.
  • Hunt making good decisions and providing run off halfback.
  • Petch being clean and creative/using his pace to get away from stoppages.
  • Some of Bailey's efforts around the ground were awesome. You can see Nic's influence in the way he is playing at the moment.
  • Kelly lifting near the end.
  • Yeo finding his mojo and making those spoils going back with the flight after lowering his colours to Langford.
  • I don't think anyone had a truly awful game. Even our usual whipping boys like Rotham and Gaff seemed to have pretty solid games.
  • Hewett hitting contests at pace, and that filthy don't argue on Tsatas. If we end up with Reid, our future on-ball division is going to approach 06 levels of swagger/opposition hatred. I hope they bring out the faux hawks and white Pumas in tribute to Cuzz.

Shame not to get a win, but I think the playing group will be pretty proud of how they acquitted themselves today. Hope we come with similar intent for the rest of the year.

Also we didn't lose a thing with Sheed out.

Hopefully that says something to the match committee. If they play him it has to be somewhere else because he is a liability in middle.
Imagine how much of a liability he'd be if he did play anywhere else

See it how you want too but supporters cheering for a loss at this stage in the season have a good eye on the future and a football brain that knows that.
Especially with the draft being seriously compromised this year and over the last 5 years unless you've been living under a rock and have no idea. Free agency Compos,Academy picks, priority picks. We have become the most disadvantaged side in the comp. This clubs pride and just hoping to build a list from late draft picks isn't going to cut it anymore. Will take us 20 years to build a premiership side. We need pick 1 not pick 5.

If we don't it will be North having pick 1 and 2 compo, GC with J Walters academy and Sanders priority pick.
Lets not get started on how far our second round pick will get pushed back.
currently pick 19 but that will likely be pushed back to pick 26-27 after all the comprised of the draft gets done.
We are going to be killing ourselves.
Be smart now, think about it, lets not be stupid.

Also not to mention North in the future if they get Reid pick 2 Sanders pick 19 will already go with the top talent they have been building over the years.
Luke Davis Uniake, Wardlaw, Sheezel Phillips, Reid, Sanders and Pick 2 being likely Curtin.

Tell me how it's going to feel when they obtain all that and wipe the floor with us over the next 10 years. We are in it for premierships and we need Reid now more then ever as once we mature likely the side who will also mature down a similar path and rise up the ladder will be North.
One number one draft pick has won a premiership medallion in twenty years.

Add Ryan to that forward line and it is looking quite dynamic and exciting.

As said previously, it is starting to look like the youth are more comfortable at AFL level now and are putting in more consistent efforts over four quarters. They are developing quicker than expected which is a huge plus as our player development has been average in the past.

One number one draft pick has won a premiership medallion in twenty years
That's good so Reid will make that 2. It's not about what other clubs have done in the past or poorly developed them. This is about us as a club. Where we are at and what is in front of us. Reid is so far better then any number 1 pick over the last 10 years. It's also about our needs and a quality contested mid we've been screaming out for. Its been so long since we last had one. Reid fits our side perfect to what our requirements are right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back