Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

He also costs nothing, other than salary, which we're currently flushing down the toilet on senior players that suck or are injured (Shuey, Gaff, Naitanui) anyway.
Salary isn’t nothing. Means it’s harder to retain our good players or bring others in.

Also this only applies if we wait another year for him to be a free agent, by which time he will be 27.

Bailey might have developed further by then. English might do a Grundy and no longer be the ‘best ruck in the AFL’ by then.

So, you want Eagles to emulate Gold Coast.

A club that picks up top draft picks, who cannot wait to leave to go to a club that wins?
Losing isnt the reason people leave Gold Coast....

It being a expensive shithole with zero fan base or culture is the bigger reason

Salary isn’t nothing. Means it’s harder to retain our good players or bring others in.

Also this only applies if we wait another year for him to be a free agent, by which time he will be 27.

Bailey might have developed further by then. English might do a Grundy and no longer be the ‘best ruck in the AFL’ by then.

Well it ain't picks, and we don't exactly have a plethora of elite players on our list demanding good salary do we babe?

27 is still good for 6+ years of decent football. We'll hopefully be pushing for finals again in the next 4-5.

I expect and hope Williams continues to improve, but would be looking to cash him in (trade for a juicy price) when that time comes.

Don't ignore his 12 hitouts campaigner. I'm sorry I didn't realize Andrew Phillips and Nick Bryan are Paul Salmon and Dean Cox quality. My bad.

I love Maric. Just the way he moves and his intelligence by foot is pretty great for a kid of his age and experience.

With a big preseason and being settled into one side he is set for a big 2024 I reckon.
I was watching parts of the game on my phone today. I kept mistaking him for allen as they actually move similar cos all the players look like ants on the phone screen.

We def have a classy player in maric.

Have hopes culley will be our redden

I never usually walk out the stadium happy with a loss, but i did today, winning at this late stage of the season achieves nothing for our future, except we all get to feel good for the weekend. The real feel good will be when we load up with more young talent at the end of the year, and the No 1 pick is a must, last year we split a high pick and got a couple of gems in Hewitt and Ginbey, winning games now does not give us the chance to that again.

They had a red hot crack all day bar a small patch in the 2nd when Yeo played lazy on Langford we probably should have won, thanks Yeoy thinking of the future:) , and some youthful exuberance caused some errors at different stages, but today shows them they are more than capable of matching it AFL level.

Hewitt- Superstar in the making, love that he wants to take the game on, even if it does not succeed the first time he goes again, awesome mindset.
Jack Williams- We may have grabbed a diamond here, he is big unit and once he learns how to use that body properly, he will be a problem for defenders, he certainly has the smarts, just needs to refine his body a bit.
Chesser - People are down on him, i'm not sure why, he is what you want a big mid, and his foot skills and vision are pretty darn good, juts needs patience, not everyone is going to be a superstar in his first 10+ games.
Long- This kid is going menace to back lines in the future, plus he has a little spunk to go with his obvious talents.
Hough- Looks like the next Hurn to me in that he reads the play well and does not get flustered.
Maric- For no AFL preseason, this kid is good and has untapped potential, with and big Jack we have set up our future forward.
Edwards- Again injuries have slowed his development, but you can see he has something the last two weeks, just keep in as a mid or forward.

With a proper pre season Bazzo will be better for it, and Culley if we can keep him will add a lot of value to this team when back.

Not a bad couple of weeks as a supporter in what has been a shitty year.

just like that time Richmond beat Melbourne in R18 2009, which led to them finishing 2nd last and losing the number 1 draft pick

bet they picked up some spud, who was it again?
And if you had won one extra (meaningless) game at the end of 2001, you wouldn’t have had Chris Judd.

Judd > winning a dead rubber game.

It sounds bad, but that’s the reality.

Imagine how much of a liability he'd be if he did play anywhere else
I dunno.... I reckon there is an AFL quality, bonafide premiership quality player there, but Sheed is not an easy plug and play, he needs coaching.

He has to be at his absolute best and and we need to utilise his kicking better. Aggressive half forward or defensive wing for mine, maybe a bit of both. He's a hard runner but slow, decent in traffic but awful on defence.

There's a player there but they need to find it and the first step is acknowledging his deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

27 is still good for 6+ years of decent football. We'll hopefully be pushing for finals again in the next 4-5.

Those long term contracts to McGovern, Yeo, Darling and Gaff that people have been bitching about all year were signed when those players were about 27 and thought to have a good 5-6 years of football in them

Just saying

Not according to the commentary on the Sharks v Bombers today. It's almost AFL heartland nowadays. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hey Southport is afl heartland funnily enough. If they admitted Southport it would have been a better job than a pop up new club… a minor version of port…..

And if you want to get really jealous go and have a look at their facilities and social club…

Cue the “ oh but poker machine sooks”

I love Maric. Just the way he moves and his intelligence by foot is pretty great for a kid of his age and experience.

With a big preseason and being settled into one side he is set for a big 2024 I reckon.
He reminds of a modern day Lecca a bit. Don’t think he’ll push into the midfield quite as much as lecca did but I reckon he’ll a focre pushing but down the field

This was a brilliant result. In the dying stages of the game I was cheering us for the win, but a 1pt loss away from home vs a finals contender was perfect. Retain the #1 pick (for now) and simultaneously get belief into the playing group that things aren't as bad as they appear.

+ve
Our kids are looking awesome Hewett will be a star.Chesser showing he has the talent to make it. Maric, Hough, B.Williams, J.Williams, LEdwards, Long.

Gaff playing very well. If he can play like this, more than happy to see him play on.

likewise all the other oldies that lined up today.

Rotham, just like 2022, showed more further up the ground than in defense.

-ve
XON surely is done? Been given plenty of opportunities and he's just not an AFL player

Last edited:
English is going to be the AA ruckman... ergo the best ruck in the AFL this year.

He also costs nothing, other than salary, which we're currently flushing down the toilet on senior players that suck or are injured (Shuey, Gaff, Naitanui) anyway.

Bailey, has improved beyond belief... yet is still 3 rungs below English. Thats not even a question.

He just had 12 hitouts for a whole game FFS. Even the Bombers dopey rookie ruck Nick Bryan beat him with 19. That's on top of Phillips 33. Absolute pantsing.

If Williams can't get the best of these 2 spuds, we should surely look to upgrade to someone who can, if the opportunity presents itself.

Has to be free agent or nothing though.

I dunno.... I reckon there is an AFL quality, bonafide premiership quality player there, but Sheed is not an easy plug and play, he needs coaching.

He has to be at his absolute best and and we need to utilise his kicking better. Aggressive half forward or defensive wing for mine, maybe a bit of both. He's a hard runner but slow, decent in traffic but awful on defence.

There's a player there but they need to find it and the first step is acknowledging his deficiencies.
Hopefully next year - like a few others - Sheed won’t be a walk up start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back