Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

A win-win! We took it up to the bombers, got in front, and lost by a point in a very competitive game.
Dare I say the synergy is starting to gel. Sheed was a telling omission. He was carrying a foot injury for awhile to be fair?
And we still get a good draft pick...

Last edited:
Also we didn't lose a thing with Sheed out.

Called it

Your also wrong, given that 5 of the last 20 flags featured the #1 pick (hawks 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015 — Dogs 2016)

Also quite a few #1 picks featured in the losing GF teams and others more recently drafted are in ascending teams who could have success.

Of course all of this means little as historical stats are not relevant to whether Reid will be a success or not. But if we are going to throw out arbitrary stats, may as w, ell be accurate.
So, 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015 were won by the same club, with the same number 1 pick players. And the Dogs.

So number 1 picks have helped 2 clubs to flags in the last 20 years?

Called it
BSD

Cant take anyone serious who says chesser isnt good. He is good and will be very good.

Not everyone can have that hewett swag but chesser will compliment this team perfectly. 200+ game player

Wat.

His uncontested possession on the wing and then panic handball direct to a bombers player after wetting his pantaloons at footsteps begs to differ.

Tunbridge would've at least followed up his handball turnover with a pulverising tackle :shrug:

I love Maric. Just the way he moves and his intelligence by foot is pretty great for a kid of his age and experience.

With a big preseason and being settled into one side he is set for a big 2024 I reckon.

Maric was a great pick up. His actions today show he bloody loves our club and mate the feeling is mutual.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wat.

His uncontested possession on the wing and then panic handball direct to a bombers player after wetting his pantaloons at footsteps begs to differ.

Tunbridge would've at least followed up his handball turnover with a pulverising tackle :shrug:
Hater, hewett my new fav made numerous mistakes. I still see the value in both

Starting to wonder if we'll need English, BW's just getting better and better, his 2nd efforts are putting some of our small mids to shame!
Didn’t rate at all today.

Need at least some taps to go the way of our mids.

Chesser was average as well. Hears foot steps and just handballs straight away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wat.

He panic handballed directly to an opponent several times when he actually had space. Guy needs to work on his composure.

Didn’t rate at all today.

Need at least some taps to go the way of our mids.

Chesser was average as well. Hears foot steps and just handballs straight away

Williams has completely white washed some on here because he tries or he look like he does because he is so uncoordinated.
fact remains he gets beaten in the ruck most weeks, struggles to mark especially above his head, is below average in hit outs to advantage and hitout wins ….
Yep he might finish high in our bnf in our worst ever year on the the fact he played all the games not on his actual effect on games.

He panic handballed directly to an opponent several times when he actually had space. Guy needs to work on his composure.

100%

But unfortunately the best place for him to do that right now is the only other team in WA that's a bigger rabble than the Eagles.

The culture that matters to a new player is the culture of the people in it when they arrive. Ask Melbourne how hard it is to get out of a culture of losing, once its been established at the club.

I would rather pick 2, and know the club hates losing above all else than pick 1, and know they are comfortable with it.

Its not a tap you can turn on, and then off again, anytime you like.

Why did you ask me if i want the club to emulate Gold Coast? picking up top talent only to watch it leave to go to a club that wins?

Whats the measuring stick here? One win, two wins or is it three? What about the size of the losses. One point, two points. How about 170?

At what point are the losses too many or the defeats too big?

Let's move on for a moment to your next comparison. The Demons.

Do you assume by finishing last we are accepting mediocrity and a losers mentality such as the Demons were?

What about personnel? Development? Do you think drafting has any part to play?

Watts over Naitanui, Blease over Shuey, Cook over Darling for instance?

How about leadership? Isn't that why the AFL stepped in and appointed Roos?

Could it be more complicated than to just associate low end draft picks with culture?

If you are going to use clubs that have gone through sustained periods of mediocrity as a cautionary tale of what not to do that's fair enough, there's lessons there to learn but lets at least consider all the ways in which those clubs were broken and how they differ to us as there are many components that make a difference to an outcome.

Just imagine for a moment what a club like ours could do with picks at the top end of the draft.

Is it any wonder all they talk about is us trading it away? I've never seen so much airtime given to it. Ever.

If i was them i'd be scared too.

One number one draft pick has won a premiership medallion in twenty years.
Luke Hodge went alright. I guess he won 4 so that doesn’t count as 1.

Banfield got one in 2006.

Even old mate from GWS got one, just not for the club he was drafted to.

Was going to include Goddard but then then remembered he played for the saints lol

i don't think holding on to number 1 would be as important in most other years but with how compromised the draft is with the academy kids and possible north assistance package this is the year to win the spoon. and i say that as someone with a big payout coming my way if north do come last.

One number one draft pick has won a premiership medallion in twenty years.
Tom Boyd drafted 2013.

But surely you have to count Banfield (1992) saluting for the second time in 2006: and Podge (2001) who selfishly did it four times, 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

That would be 6 times by my reckoning.

You could pick any draft position and the hit rate wouldn't sound great. I'm not going to research the veracity of that statement though.

What is clear, is that pick 1 gets you a player that will highly likely play 100 games or more and the lower you go in the draft the probability will drop.

And have you even looked at Harley's highlights? It's a lay down misère. He may not win a premiership, but I'm confident he is going to be a joy to watch a la Natanui.

No I'd rather win a dead rubber?!

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

just like that time Richmond beat Melbourne in R18 2009, which led to them finishing 2nd last and losing the number 1 draft pick

bet they picked up some spud, who was it again?
Funny you mention that because if West Coast didn’t win 4 of its last 5 after going 4-13 up until that point we would have gone to the draft with picks 2 & 4 instead of pick 7.

How many flags could we have won with Dusty?

Pick 1. Scully (Demons)
Pick 2. Morabito (WC)
Pick 3. Trengove (Demons)
Pick 4. Martin??? (WC)

It’s amazing how a few meaningless wins at the end of the year could potentially change the outcome of a clubs fortunes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Coasters Round 21- Positives and more positives v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back